House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Pushbike Thread

After all the car threads I thought we deserved one of these.

I don't have any particular controversial point to make or even a Daily Mail article to link to. But let's talk bikes.

My gratefully received tip on looking for my first bike since college was don't buy a mountain bike. Cheap and good looking though they may be they weight a ton and this alone will stop you using them much.

I bought a heavier hybrid and think even that was wrong, a light hybrid or straightforward road bike would have been more suitable.

There are some superb bike deals on hotukdeals in the past week - some of the firms have been buying bikes in 2000 lots and are able to offer a much better deal than local bike shops.

I wouldn't be surprised if smaller bikes shops are not ordering some of these and sticking several hundred quid on top. Half carbon bikes down to below £400.

Worth having a search on hotukdeals for bikes if you are in the market currently.

I don't have any particular controversial point to make or even a Daily Mail article to link to. But let's talk bikes.

My gratefully received tip on looking for my first bike since college was don't buy a mountain bike. Cheap and good looking though they may be they weight a ton and this alone will stop you using them much.

I bought a heavier hybrid and think even that was wrong, a light hybrid or straightforward road bike would have been more suitable.

A decent touring bike serves nicely for general-purpose use, including off-road. As well as carrying heavy loads, from your camping gear to your supermarket shopping.

In my Sheffield days in particular, I regularly encountered mountain bikes on the good-as-road trails (like around the Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs), but I was relatively unusual in pedalling more challenging terrain (such as long stretches of the Pennine Way) as well as the roads out from Sheffield to places like these. Or even the nighttime road ride to Leeds to meet a girl .... A touring bike made all of this a pleasure.

I went out for a two hour cycle on Sunday morning for the first time in about 5 years and it was utter bliss. Going to be making a regular thing of it.

Others will have proper advice, but I'd say get a good second hand hybrid off gumtree, and do your research on the correct way to set the seat height

If you have less than £200(ish) to spend, go second hand. But take a mate who knows bikes with you to look at it.

Personally, I've always ridden mountain bikes since my late teens. The right one is a versatile workhorse suitable for bringing home items of furniture, spending a day in proper mountains to time trialling on the road with a few modifications. That said, the average tourer/hybrid is capable of most of what a mountain bike is.

The prices of new bikes and parts has roughly doubled in the last five years. Personally, I suspect the bike to work scheme has contributed to much of this inflation. The good news is that are tons of second hand parts and bikes. My titanium frame would cost about £1.2K to replace - but I got for £220 secondhand.

Carbon should really be regarded as a consumable item. I'll be very surprised if many of today's carbon frames are still in regular use in 20 years time.

Spend some time on your handlebar, seat and grip choice. Your anatomy will thank you for it.

The Tour De France saw a big increase in cycle sales and I suspect alot of these are on the second hand market now.

In the last few years they have been making cycle kit in XXXXL sizes so that says it all.

Lots of sales in cycle clothing this week also.

I went out for a two hour cycle on Sunday morning for the first time in about 5 years and it was utter bliss. Going to be making a regular thing of it.

Others will have proper advice, but I'd say get a good second hand hybrid off gumtree, and do your research on the correct way to set the seat height

I think it was the perfect weather, sunny and a pleasant temperature with no wind, so it got me out for the longest ride yet this summer. Way short of two hours though!

Pushbike? I haven't heard that term since about 1954!

Common currency round my way, I know lots of motorbikers and pushbikers so it avoids confusion.

A good quality mountain bike is not that heavy, my full suspension specialized enduro only weighs around 28lbs.

The Tour De France saw a big increase in cycle sales and I suspect alot of these are on the second hand market now.

In the last few years they have been making cycle kit in XXXXL sizes so that says it all.

A chap who was probably wearing such went past me like I was standing still yesterday, which is why I think I might eventually get a road bike as well.

Aldi have a load of winter stuff in for Thursday.

I need to get some basics, do you mean hotukdeals or are there other sites I should be checking?

Says what all?

I've found myself buying normal shirts in XXL size of late. Must be a quirk of Peacocks' suppliers: XL were tight not around the ample paunch, but around the shoulders.

I guess it depends what sort of cycling you do. When I lived in Germany, cycling was my prime means of transport, and my bike was used for commuting, shopping and touring holidays. It was a heavy hybrid with mudguards, lights and a luggage carrier as well as little luxuries like a hub dynamo and hydraulic brakes. It was an ideal all-rounder and I did about 4,000 km/year on it.

For purely recreational purposes, I guess you'd want to dispense with all the extras and get a light road bike, though that does of course limit the bike's uses. Personally, I prefer practicallity to lightness but YMMV.

Edit: Schwalbe Marathon tyres are essential!

You`re all bloody mad!

Don`t you go out in what you`ve got on?

Yes, I do! Though I will change into shorts if just going for a recreational ride about. You wouldn't catch me dead in lycra.

It's one of the very noticeable differences between cyclists here and in Germany. Over there, cycling is seen as part of everyday life, and most cyclists you see are wearing normal clothes, perhaps with some extra weather protection. Here, though, cycling tends to be seen primarily as a sport, so many people feel that dressing up in special clothing is an essential part of the activity.

You`re all bloody mad!

Don`t you go out in what you`ve got on?

Chafing from jeans and cotton shorts earlier this year led me to buy some cycling shorts and a t-shirt from Aldi or Lidl. The looking like a prat factor is massively outweighed by the lack of chafing on long rides.

Yes, I do! Though I will change into shorts if just going for a recreational ride about. You wouldn't catch me dead in lycra.

It's one of the very noticeable differences between cyclists here and in Germany. Over there, cycling is seen as part of everyday life, and most cyclists you see are wearing normal clothes, perhaps with some extra weather protection. Here, though, cycling tends to be seen primarily as a sport, so many people feel that dressing up in special clothing is an essential part of the activity.

I tend to go out in what I'm wearing too. I own a pair of lycra shorts for long rides (say 20+ miles) - but they always are worn underneath something else. Mountain biking tends to be walking boots or occasionally wellies.

A decent touring bike serves nicely for general-purpose use, including off-road. As well as carrying heavy loads, from your camping gear to your supermarket shopping.

In my Sheffield days in particular, I regularly encountered mountain bikes on the good-as-road trails (like around the Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs), but I was relatively unusual in pedalling more challenging terrain (such as long stretches of the Pennine Way) as well as the roads out from Sheffield to places like these. Or even the nighttime road ride to Leeds to meet a girl .... A touring bike made all of this a pleasure.

Wouldn't call the far side of the Derwent reservoirs "as good as road" (even if the untarmaced bits that can be driven), they would probably wreck a racing bike but a tourer sounds OK for them. Not sure I'd want to go along the Old Coach Road in the Lakes on anything less than a mountain bike even though it probably wouldn't be impossible on a tourer. I'm a long, long way from being an expert though.

On the odd occasion I go out on the bike it's in ordinary clothes, although a t-shirt with a longer back than usual would be an improvement, particularly for anyone behind me.

Just seen a pedal cyclist nearly knocked down in a carbon copy of the motorcycle from Bloo Loo's ''lazy right turn'' textbook. Having witnessed it I just couldn't understand why the cyclist hadn't spotted the telegraphed error. Is there some problem with observation on two wheels? I was on foot btw and not the one doing the lazy right turn.

Suffice to say it got the full schizoid textbook response from the cyclist.

Just seen a peddle cyclist nearly knocked down in a carbon copy of the motorcycle from Bloo Loo's ''lazy right turn'' textbook. Having witnessed it I just couldn't understand why the cyclist hadn't spotted the telegraphed error. Is there some problem with observation on two wheels? I was on foot btw and not the one doing the lazy right turn.

Suffice to say it got the full schizoid textbook response from the cyclist.

I doubt that the cyclist was doing 97mph though!

Edit: In which case the driver turning across the path of the cyclist would have been completely in the wrong and fully deserving of being on the receiving end of the "schizoid textbook response" from the cyclist.