House Price Crash Forum

First 2 Fully Operational Eu Gps-Clone Satellites Launched

ChumpusRex

HOLA441

Statistically they can expect a few of them to go wrong. Putting satellites in orbit is not as easy as most people make out.

Is that what causes GPS to send people through fields for a short cut? Or on one memorable occasion in Spain, mine sent me up a road that ended suddenly in a sheer 100 ft drop!

HOLA442

Is that what causes GPS to send people through fields for a short cut? Or on one memorable occasion in Spain, mine sent me up a road that ended suddenly in a sheer 100 ft drop!

That's generally the fault of the mapping software not the GPS.

You should always check that the route looks sensible before using it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Nah. That's poor quality route finding software and incorrect map data.

There's a "road" near me listed on digital maps published by Navteq (now Nokia). The road doesn't exist, there is nothing there, just a drainage ditch. I can only assume that the maps were made by employing people to draw lines on aerial photographs; the drainage ditch connects two roads and some guy on minimum-wage has decided that it looked like a road and just traced over it. Can you report this map error to Nokia? Nope. They don't accept corrections.

The other issue is that early versions of software didn't take speed or type of road into account when calculating routes (or did so only crudely - e.g. assume the speed limit). This might end up taking you from Swansea to Birmingham by taking you down single-track unclassified roads through the Welsh valleys, because the route is significantly shorter than going down the M5 (and the speed limits are nearly the same). The more modern software is a lot better in that it tends to have decent estimates about the expected achievable speed on a given road, and potentially how that might change with time-of-day and day-of-week, and has some knowledge of the class of road (e.g. single track road suitable for access only)

HOLA446

Archived