House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChumpusRex

First 2 Fully Operational Eu Gps-Clone Satellites Launched

The European Space Agency recently announced the successful launch of the first full-operational-capacity satellites for the Galileo satellite positioning system.

What they failed to mention for quite some time after the launch was that they accidentally launched them into the wrong orbit and have no idea whether they will work correctly there or not.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/08/arianespace-soyuz-st-b-galileo-mission/

GPS is rubbish! I just use a paper map!

Or perhaps it is a ruse to launch spy satellites? The Russian launch option is currently out for the Yanks and us to launch spy satellites so send two spy satellites up instead of the GPS ones and then claim that the two of them are lost?

But what happens when you want to go somewhere else other than MacDonalds?

I never want to find MacDonalds! When it is too dark for a map, I steer by the stars, like my ancestors!

I wonder what security is put in place when the likes of the US, and presumably EU countries, send their satellites to Russia to be launched? 24 hour security until the payload is on top of the rocket?

I wonder what security is put in place when the likes of the US, and presumably EU countries, send their satellites to Russia to be launched? 24 hour security until the payload is on top of the rocket?

European satellites are launched from French Guiana.

Europe, the UK and the US have been using Russia to launch satellites since the space shuttle was grounded. One of the worries the Yanks have had over Ukraine is whether the Russians will stop them launching satellites.

The Yanks still have small payload capability, I think, but they have nothing for heavy payloads.

Russians have their own GPS system too.

Wherever you start from you always end up in London

The Yanks still have small payload capability, I think, but they have nothing for heavy payloads.

According to Wikipedia:

Falcon 9 - 13 tons to orbit

Delta 4 Heavy - 28 tons to orbit

Falcon Heavy (supposed to launch this year, I believe) - 53 tons to orbit

Meerkats?

No! Norse! How did you know my great^n grandfather's ship had a meerkat prow?

I never want to find MacDonalds! When it is too dark for a map, I steer by the stars, like my ancestors!

I'm surprised. I had you down as a seat-of-the-pants man!:lol:

Thing is, people talk about these satellites like it is a complete disaster, but they are putting what, 30 up there for the gps system ?

Statistically they can expect a few of them to go wrong. Putting satellites in orbit is not as easy as most people make out.