House Price Crash Forum

Youtube And Google+....

Darkman

HOLA441

Am I the only one who liked the old Youtube comments? Yes it was full of retards and racism, but also a lot of genuine wit.

Maybe it's an age thing, now that older people are using Youtube it has to be censored to a level of dullness that people raised on terrestrial television will find acceptable.

Hopefully the youngsters will all decamp for pastures new.

I love YouTube comments. In this highly censored world it feels like the last bastion of free speech. The unbridled racism, homophobia, bigotry and general abuse just gives me a warm feeling inside :)

HOLA442

I had a YouTube account and a Google account.

Every few video views, I'd get asked if I wanted to "merge" them. So I'd cancel that.

At some point they forcibly merged the two databases together with the result that all my "electronic" friends, playlists, favourites vanished.

A quick search revealed this had happened to Lots of Very Angry People.

I deleted the two accounts I had since they were useless and I don't use GMail anyway, it just fills with clutter, and opened another one for my personal site just to show, er, willing - I'm supposed to be a web developer and embrace this sort of thing - and an anonymous one with none of the right information about me which is the one I use.

I find it amazing that companies at that level can't work out how to merge two databases together without severe casualties.

I also tend to disable everything by default. Anything that looks like it might be "shared" gets disabled just in case. Spotify did something similar by sending your user and password details to Facebook without your sanction or permission and further, sending Facebook lists of what you listen to in order to populate your Facebook page. You now have to have a Facebook login to use Spotify. I use neither and buy some stuff from Apple iTunes and Juno instead.

I can see why these companies want to maximise revenue given the services are free at point of delivery.

I can also see that these sites are going to be hit by some very high profile stalking/murder cases in the years to come most especially Facebook.

HOLA443

As well as that dodgy, unhelpful, unnecessary merge there was a spate of trying to get me to change my "hard to use username and give my real name instead." Like hell. I've not had that one appear for a while, can't remember now whether I just made something up or whether it's just stopped. Likewise the pestering for a mobile number (not that I've got one anyway, but wouldn't give it to them if I had). YouTube / Google has zero good reason for needing any real personal information about me, apart from just perhaps an email address. It's just a pity that everyone else hasn't told them to get stuffed on that front.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Archived