House Price Crash Forum

Onshore Offshoring Arrives In Uk

HOLA441

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,16781,1647013,00.html

"Skill shortages continue to be a major pull factor in bringing foreign IT workers to the UK but the concern is that some organisations may be taking advantage of the visa system to import cheap labour."

Ms Swain warned it would be dangerous for companies to become reliant on recruiting from overseas. "There is still plenty of IT talent in the UK currently under-utilised. If British IT professionals don't have the right skills, organisations need to look at their investment in training, rather than relying on overseas skills."

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,16781,1647013,00.html

"Skill shortages continue to be a major pull factor in bringing foreign IT workers to the UK but the concern is that some organisations may be taking advantage of the visa system to import cheap labour."

Ms Swain warned it would be dangerous for companies to become reliant on recruiting from overseas. "There is still plenty of IT talent in the UK currently under-utilised. If British IT professionals don't have the right skills, organisations need to look at their investment in training, rather than relying on overseas skills."

Suppose these people area all going to need homes......

HOLA443

they do indeed and there are quite a few of them

in the main they are also useless - i have to work with people from India's biggest IT company and I would employ very few of them - they put in the hours but in my experience their output is poor

having said that, i would say the same about IBM

HOLA444
HOLA445

This has been going on for 4 years, UK IT people have been screaming about it but no one takes any notice. Patricia Hewitt and CO have made trips to India about bringing in more Indian workers and even some parts of the UK Government's IT have been outsourced to India.

It is slave labour as these Indians are paid peanuts over here. Having said that, I am told that one consultancy has set up in Wales because Welsh workers cost no more than Indians - no joke!

There is actually a UK IT skills shortage looming. After 911 IT places in Unis dropped as students saw there was no work in IT. A few years from now there will not be enough UK IT workers to go around.

HOLA446

This has been going on for 4 years, UK IT people have been screaming about it but no one takes any notice. Patricia Hewitt and CO have made trips to India about bringing in more Indian workers and even some parts of the UK Government's IT have been outsourced to India.

It is slave labour as these Indians are paid peanuts over here. Having said that, I am told that one consultancy has set up in Wales because Welsh workers cost no more than Indians - no joke!

There is actually a UK IT skills shortage looming. After 911 IT places in Unis dropped as students saw there was no work in IT. A few years from now there will not be enough UK IT workers to go around.

Sorry I disagree, computer science / IT is still a very popular undergraduate course, many IT computer graduates though the quality is dismal - I've tried BT technical support for an ADSL problem - they are next to useless. (call centres in newcastle)

I also disagee with comments about the quality of India IT folk, India has more science graduates than the who of western europe put together.

Lets face it they may be cheap & not as productive but they are learning & soon will be leaving us behind.

Look who BT chose for their new high tech VoIP network BT21CN, certainly was not any UK companies

HOLA447

Live_in_hope

Sorry I disagree, computer science / IT is still a very popular undergraduate course, many IT computer graduates though the quality is dismal - I've tried BT technical support for an ADSL problem - they are next to useless. (call centres in newcastle)

All depends who is going on the courses doesn't it? People with talent are increasingly not entering IT/engineering/science courses at all and going for courses where there is a chance of better paid work that won;t be outsourced at a flick of a switch. I wouldn't put call centre/support work as a degree qualified occpation anyway personally - at least not the vast majority of it.

HOLA448

I also disagee with comments about the quality of India IT folk, India has more science graduates than the who of western europe put together.

Lets face it they may be cheap & not as productive but they are learning & soon will be leaving us behind.

Sorry, the ones i work with are all nice people, work hard (in that they put in the hours and don't pss about) but the quality of their work is generally sh*te

HOLA449