House Price Crash Forum

Alan Whicker Memorial Thread

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

He will be sadly missed. 'Whicker's War' is one of the best WW2 autobiographies I have read. Aged just 19 as a junior army officer he had to organise the surrender and arrest of senior SS officers in Florence in front of an angry mob who wanted to lynch them. I wonder how many 19 year olds today would manage that!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

My old Dad used to watch Alan Whicker on his travels and as a young kid I remember him quite fondly. Although the world has changed and access/information is relatively easy to come by now, I remember Alan Whicker introducing us to all these weird and wonderful people in parts of the world we had never heard of.

He was our man abroad.

R.I.P. Mr Whicker

HOLA448

My old Dad used to watch Alan Whicker on his travels and as a young kid I remember him quite fondly. Although the world has changed and access/information is relatively easy to come by now, I remember Alan Whicker introducing us to all these weird and wonderful people in parts of the world we had never heard of.

He was our man abroad.

R.I.P. Mr Whicker

He also came out with some good lines. One I remember was when asked why he always dressed so smartly, he replied something like 'if millions of people are inviting me into their living rooms, I ought to pay them the compliment of being decently dressed.'

Archived