House Price Crash Forum

2 Bed Garden Flat W/parking In Cotham (Bristol)

PaulStat

HOLA441

Went to see this property last weekend, very nice, couple of little things I'd change but on the whole we liked it. Area is great too, very central to everything. Perhaps one of the more expensive flats around the area but there seems to be a wide variation in prices in BS6. So thoughts on the price of this one?

http://www.oceanhome.co.uk/Property/Residential/for-sale/BRISTOL/Cotham/Victoria-Walk/OEG22325.aspx

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's overpriced, of course.

But if you're asking if it's the market price, then the answer is sadly, yes. It'll go for at least close to asking I would've thought.

Check out the parking etiquette, some of these house-into-flats have a first-come-first-serve competition for the driveway space, everyone else ends up on the road.

And, Cotham might be "nice" and transport links aren't bad, but driving is an utter nightmare. Do your research on your potential commute from that place. If you're from Bristol you already know this. If not, take a Google maps look at the streets, they are typical Bristol-chocka full of parked cars.

Why not rent? It's about £850pcm for one of those lifestyle flats.

Edit: I only glanced at it initially. On second look - wow, no wonder that dining room looked weird. I hope you enjoy entertaining your doctor lawyer accountant friends in the hall. Christ almighty. Oh, and where would you stash your diving / motorbiking / parachuting / music / fun gear?

DOI: I looked round loads of these before waking up and smelling the coffee. That being said, I am good friends with two couples who will be your close neighbours if you buy that place, and they are perfectly happy. Suggestion: Move the dining table into the living room.

Edited by Laguarde's Companion

HOLA444

Lovely area - just bought a house about 3 minutes up from there. Price seems pretty normal for the area, so fair. That said: you frequently get much lighter / more spacious places even with gardens in the Cotham / Redland borders area. Generally on the market for around 270 / 280, but sell for 250 and seem to offer more than the one you looked at. Based on the pics, I'd wait for something better to come up ... but obviously I haven't seen the flat...

Hope this helps.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Nah, the drug dealer prozzie thing is just normal for the city, and others too. All of Cotham and Redland is very close to these "youthful" areas.

To the OP, it is a nice area, and it is overpriced. Whether or not you wish to go for it, is up to you. For example, there are basement flats in Clifton that would go for twice the price, so don't be discouraged by the moaners on here.

Just bear in mind, it's still a flat, with all the issues that go with it.

HOLA449

Nah, the drug dealer prozzie thing is just normal for the city, and others too. All of Cotham and Redland is very close to these "youthful" areas.

To the OP, it is a nice area, and it is overpriced. Whether or not you wish to go for it, is up to you. For example, there are basement flats in Clifton that would go for twice the price, so don't be discouraged by the moaners on here.

Just bear in mind, it's still a flat, with all the issues that go with it.

Dealers and prozzies are normal? You could pay double and you won't have to put up with it. Double that again for windows and dry walls. Double that and you get a real house!!!!!

Moaners? I think not. Realists, This is housepricecrash after all.

HOLA4410

Dealers and prozzies are normal? You could pay double and you won't have to put up with it. Double that again for windows and dry walls. Double that and you get a real house!!!!!

Moaners? I think not. Realists, This is housepricecrash after all.

Hmm? Cotham and Redland are both a short walk away from the urban diversity that is St Pauls and Stokes Croft. That is just the plain fact, and it isn't unique for a UK city either. Doesn't stop them from being leafy middle class areas.

I'm not defending the asking price, nor the fact that it is a dark garden or basement flat.

HOLA4411

It is vastly overpriced.

I bought a victorian 2 bed flat with parking just up the road from here for £150k in Dec 2009. Admittedly it needed work inside and out, but no way is there a 90k price difference. This is worth 200k max. Ocean are well known for overpricing.

Edited by devslim

HOLA4412

Went to see this property last weekend, very nice, couple of little things I'd change but on the whole we liked it. Area is great too, very central to everything. Perhaps one of the more expensive flats around the area but there seems to be a wide variation in prices in BS6. So thoughts on the price of this one?

http://www.oceanhome...k/OEG22325.aspx

For the love of God. No.

HOLA4413
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414

What gets me about the usual buyers of these 'lifestyle' homes, is the complete lack of thinking or caring about their lifestyle when they retire, made redundant or even have a family.

What the heck is the point of impressing one's architect and legal friends with buckets of chablis, Webber BBQs, flash furnishings etc.. if in 30 years time all you'll be able to share with them is a spare (small) bowl of cat food. Madness. :D