House Price Crash Forum

Sharp Decline In Uk Natural Gas And Petroleum Production

HOLA441

The Department of Energy and Climate Change released energy production statistics for August 2011 today and here's the DECC's summary from the total energy table:

"Total production of indigenous primary fuels in the three months to August 2011 stood at 30.3 million tonnes of oil equivalent, 14.7 per cent lower than the corresponding period a year ago, with production in August at the lowest monthly level for over 30 years. This decline in output is due to a significant fall in petroleum and gas production as a result of maintenance work and slowdowns on a number of fields."

Tables: http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/statistics/energy_stats/source/total/total.aspx

This isn't a one month blip, and to give some perspective on this decline I've summarised the Jan-Aug period for the past four years in the table below:

UKEnergyAug2011.gif

George's tax grab isn't working out as expected.

HOLA442
HOLA443

The Department of Energy and Climate Change released energy production statistics for August 2011 today and here's the DECC's summary from the total energy table:

"Total production of indigenous primary fuels in the three months to August 2011 stood at 30.3 million tonnes of oil equivalent, 14.7 per cent lower than the corresponding period a year ago, with production in August at the lowest monthly level for over 30 years. This decline in output is due to a significant fall in petroleum and gas production as a result of maintenance work and slowdowns on a number of fields."

Tables: http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/statistics/energy_stats/source/total/total.aspx

This isn't a one month blip, and to give some perspective on this decline I've summarised the Jan-Aug period for the past four years in the table below:

UKEnergyAug2011.gif

Looks to me like they pump more in the winter when the demand and price is higher, so it makes sense to do maintenance in August.

Still, with a rate of decline like that, it's going to get pricey soon, imagine the balance of payments in a few years...

:o

Maybe the Yanks will sell us shale gas if we lick their b*tts....

HOLA444

Nothing to do with the tax really - that wouldn't really show up for a while yet. The problem is basically that we discovered a set of big fields in the 1970s, all of which are now in the tail end stages of production. Later on, through the 1980s and 1990s, better E&P meant that we were able to put on lots more, but much smaller fields, leading to an overall production peak in 1999 for oil.

The late discovery of and production from Buzzard slowed the decline for a while, but that is now maxed out, I believe, and there is little left in the pipleine (sic). So we see normal production declines. I doubt that dropping taxes to zero would do anything to reverse that now.

HOLA445

Looks to me like they pump more in the winter when the demand and price is higher, so it makes sense to do maintenance in August.

Still, with a rate of decline like that, it's going to get pricey soon, imagine the balance of payments in a few years...

:o

Maybe the Yanks will sell us shale gas if we lick their b*tts....

It's a bit like Russian oil output - output drops in the summer because you'd be mad to try maintenance and work-overs in the winter..

HOLA446
HOLA447

Nothing to do with the tax really - that wouldn't really show up for a while yet. The problem is basically that we discovered a set of big fields in the 1970s, all of which are now in the tail end stages of production. Later on, through the 1980s and 1990s, better E&P meant that we were able to put on lots more, but much smaller fields, leading to an overall production peak in 1999 for oil.

The late discovery of and production from Buzzard slowed the decline for a while, but that is now maxed out, I believe, and there is little left in the pipleine (sic). So we see normal production declines. I doubt that dropping taxes to zero would do anything to reverse that now.

No argument from me on the underlying reasons for the decline in North Sea output, but I think the magnitude of this year's drop has been a surprise.

The Office for Budget Responsibility said just a few days ago that corporation tax payments have seen unexpected weakness due to poor bank results and lower than expected offshore oil production.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411