House Price Crash Forum

Open University Fees Announced - To Be Introduced From 2012

HOLA441

Never fear my friend, here is what OU have to say to us current students.

The Open University has announced its fees for new students in England from September 2012 – but for most current students fees will not be changing. To ensure current students are able to complete their qualifications at a price and pace in line with their expectations when they joined, the university is putting in place transitional arrangements for those who are currently studying.

Should add, they do give a reason for their increase, if anyone is interested. Else we could carry on speculating and making stuff up.

Here is what they have to say,

The reason we have to increase our fees is that the UK government is changing the way higher education in England is funded.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Should add, they do give a reason for their increase, if anyone is interested. Else we could carry on speculating and making stuff up.

Here is what they have to say,

The reason we have to increase our fees is that the UK government is changing the way higher education in England is funded.

Should imagine they're going to lose a lot of students. From what I've seen over 7 courses there are a good many (like me) who do courses just because they're interested in them, or for 'fun', though after the truly orrible exam I recently did, I will add a hollow larf to that.

While I might pay the current £700 for a 60 pt course I really fancy doing, I'd never pay £2500.

OTOH should also imagine that out of those who do sign up, there will be rather fewer dropping out. At that price, you'd really want your money's worth.

HOLA443

Should imagine they're going to lose a lot of students. From what I've seen over 7 courses there are a good many (like me) who do courses just because they're interested in them, or for 'fun', though after the truly orrible exam I recently did, I will add a hollow larf to that.

While I might pay the current £700 for a 60 pt course I really fancy doing, I'd never pay £2500.

OTOH should also imagine that out of those who do sign up, there will be rather fewer dropping out. At that price, you'd really want your money's worth.

Good god, £2500 for 60 points is too dear, I agree with you there.

HOLA444

They'll most likely need to split up the 60 pointers...At a push I'd pay £1250 if I really wanted to do a course....A 30 pointer can be enough to keep you occupied over a year...The OU will definitely start shedding courses after the first couple of years of this...

HOLA445

There is, I think, a gap in the market for an examination only 'course' where tutelage is something you'd organize for yourself - AFAIK the civil service exams were run that way. The LU international student program seems to most closely approach that, but still looks like it needs to go through the pretence of offering teaching. But as with most distance learning I'd expect any current institution to be extremely resistant to this since, as we all know, the point of students is to cross subsidise research.

HOLA446

There is, I think, a gap in the market for an examination only 'course' where tutelage is something you'd organize for yourself - AFAIK the civil service exams were run that way. The LU international student program seems to most closely approach that, but still looks like it needs to go through the pretence of offering teaching. But as with most distance learning I'd expect any current institution to be extremely resistant to this since, as we all know, the point of students is to cross subsidise research.

There are some who want to study then exam, and there are others who just want the exam, or just the study and no exam...A lot of local college don't cater for external students any more (a family member wanted to do a GCSE exam only, but they wouldn't cater for them)...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA447

They'll most likely need to split up the 60 pointers...At a push I'd pay £1250 if I really wanted to do a course....A 30 pointer can be enough to keep you occupied over a year...The OU will definitely start shedding courses after the first couple of years of this...

Yes, there seem to be rather less 30 pointers than there used to be. I've done a number of them and TBH 30 is enough for a lot of people with very busy lives, jobs and kids, etc. Don't know how I'd have managed the 60 pt I've just done if I was also doing what I used to do, running around after kids, elderly relatives etc.

E.g I did the Classical Greek several yrs ago - a nice little 30 pointer. Now it's been merged with classical lit to make a 60 pt. And from what I've read most people find the language side quite enough to cope with. There was also a lovely Homer course (in translation) taking in archaeology as well, another 30 pter now defunct. I really loved that course - fascinating, and made subsequent detour to Mycenae while on hols in the Pelops. that much more interesting.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA448

Yes, there seem to be rather less 30 pointers than there used to be. I've done a number of them and TBH 30 is enough for a lot of people with very busy lives, jobs and kids, etc. Don't know how I'd have managed the 60 pt I've just done if I was also doing what I used to do, running around after kids, elderly relatives etc.

E.g I did the Classical Greek several yrs ago - a nice little 30 pointer. Now it's been merged with classical lit to make a 60 pt. And from what I've read most people find the language side quite enough to cope with.

I've done a number of ten pointers (to build towards a web dev cert) which last three months each...and during the last two weeks or so of each course, you can easily be doing 20-30 hours a week...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA449

Wish they did that with MST209, that course is hard and the time constraints are too much. I am constantly behind.

HOLA4410

Out of curiosity, how do you think cutting back basic scientific research will help this aim?

It wont and that is why I am not saying we should.

Get rid of funding for all arts based courses, pump what funds we have left into the Sciences and Engineering.

If someone wants to study the arts, they can at a price that funds the serious subjects as well.

We have enough bleeding hearts trying to express themselves at the taxpayer expense.

As far as youth unemployment is concerned, we are going to have to live with it.

We are not entitled to our standard of living any more.

It is going to take a generation of targeted effort to re balance this economy.

HOLA4411

I've been dipping in an out of OU courses as and when time and money permit. Sort of working towards a Physics Degree (Natural Science) now I think. I'm one of those hobbyist. I don't need a degree, but just enjoy the challenge. Having a bit of a hiatus at the moment, but I guess I can now kiss it goodbye.

There is no way on Gods Green Earth that I can stump up 2K for a 60 pointer. Not only that, is this actually value for money ?

Previous courses have consisted of printed materials. Generally very good, but just books at the end of the day. Maybe a couple of emails to a tutor and a handful of tutorials at a local college, plus whatever admin there is for getting me the materials and marking assignments. £2K ? Nope, overpriced and I guess I will not be doing anymore modules for the forseeable.

HOLA4412

It'll be interesting to see how many continue to sign up for Creative Writing once fees shoot up. Very popular I gather, but TBH anyone who really wants to write will just get on and do it . Nobody needs a course.

Plenty of books out there if anyone wants tips/guidance.

HOLA4413

Wish they did that with MST209, that course is hard and the time constraints are too much. I am constantly behind.

Last one I did was MST121 and I've put off following it with MST209 for now as I don't have the time since beginning my current job. You have to apply yourself with maths. You have to actually do the problems and can't just write a load of flannel to try and fob your tutor off.

It easy to fall behing and the only way to catch up is by busting your gut for a few weeks.

HOLA4414

I've been dipping in an out of OU courses as and when time and money permit. Sort of working towards a Physics Degree (Natural Science) now I think. I'm one of those hobbyist. I don't need a degree, but just enjoy the challenge. Having a bit of a hiatus at the moment, but I guess I can now kiss it goodbye.

There is no way on Gods Green Earth that I can stump up 2K for a 60 pointer. Not only that, is this actually value for money ?

Previous courses have consisted of printed materials. Generally very good, but just books at the end of the day. Maybe a couple of emails to a tutor and a handful of tutorials at a local college, plus whatever admin there is for getting me the materials and marking assignments. £2K ? Nope, overpriced and I guess I will not be doing anymore modules for the forseeable.

I do want to do a Geography at some point...I'll possibly go down the Uni of London route to do this...You cant get a full Geography degree on the OU anyway... I think we'll see a number of other providers (could be ICS, etc..) filling the gap that the OU will eventually leave...

HOLA4415