House Price Crash Forum

Topic Options > Being Self-Employed Is Like 'slavery', Traders Tell Vince Cable

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
RADERS in Swansea have told Shadow Business Secretary John Denham that business is at an all-time low.

Labour's answer to Vince Cable met with everyone from butchers to coffee shop owners on the day the party unveiled its Welsh manifesto.

Lee Vaughan represented Swansea Indoor market, which provides work for more than 500 people. He said being self employed now resembled slavery.

He added: "I've never known the city to be as bad as it is now.

"We have got 130 empty units in the city and it looks derelict.

"I'm working harder than I've ever worked in my life and the capital I've worked up over the years is now being put back into the business.

"To be a self employed independent trader these days is like slavery."

High Street trader Wayne Evans was also at the meeting at the Dragon Hotel and said one solution to the problems facing traders would be free parking across the city.

He said: "Business has been excessively bad in the last five weeks.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/self-employed-like-slavery-traders-tell-MP/article-3452089-detail/article.html

Can't be good for house prices in the Swansea area.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Slaves to the Landlord and tax man via Buisness rates and VAT.

The few shop keepers i know who have done well from shops were those who bought the freehold early on..

they effectively get the rent/interest back when they sell.. those who only ever rent never see that money again..

Edited by MonkeyNuts

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Is Newport still hit by Cwmbran (horrible "new town" about five miles away) having a shopping centre of sorts with free parking?

To some extent yes. The problem with Newport is that the Town (city) centre is littered with chavs, is scruffy and Cardiff is the next stop shopping wise.