House Price Crash Forum

Austerity Causing People To Look To Ebay Etc To Make Ends Meet

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/8361529/Boost-your-income-and-stay-out-of-the-red.html

Boost your income and stay out of the red
We investigate how families are finding innovative ways to generate some extra cash.
.../
A study by the research group, Resolution Foundation, found that those on middle-range salaries will be worst hit by rises in living costs over the next decade. With more than 1.2 million families being affected by the cut to child benefit, households will be looking for extra income to help them stay afloat.../
The number of people turning to eBay to supplement their income rose 13pc last year, while those placing ''working from home'' advertisements has climbed sharply. According to one free site, www.vivastreet.co.uk, advertisers have jumped 124pc – the most popular jobs listed are those that can be done from a home office or front room with flexible hours, such as data entry clerks, remote typists, part-time PAs and translators – which is especially convenient for parents with children at school.

I have cut driving by 50% by planning shopping and combining with business related visits. Buy Blu-rays on eBay 2nd hand and resell on eBay and sometimes make a profit (buy low sell high).

HOLA442
HOLA443

98% of work from home jobs are scams

Yup.... OTOH many people work via peopleperhour.com, this isn't a scam but even these people have to compete with people from cheaper countries. WHen I needed bulk translation work done a bloke in China would ask £2 an hour for it. People in the UK would ask £20+

HOLA444
HOLA445

98% of work from home jobs are scams

I've never come across a genuine home job, and I've never heard from anyone who discovered one either. The usual scam is they charge you for materials (rule number one is you don't pay for a job, duh) and then reject your work on spurious quality grounds.

On the subject of Ebay I've always used it to recoup most expenses. DVDs get resold, along with just about anything else. Sometimes you make a profit, but usually not. I'm not sure how people use Ebay to make a living. Bulk selling with low costs and lack of premises I assume. But by it's very nature, Ebay drives selling prices down to the lowest point I think. A customer doesn't like your price? Then they simply click of the other ten links selling the exact same item.

HOLA446

Mrs JFK buys the kids clothes from eBay - JFK jnr (3 1/2 yrs old) is the best dressed kid in nursery! You can pick up designer clothes and shoes well cheap - and better quality than in Asda / Tesco / Primark etc.

A really interesting observation recently is that you can pick up very expensive designer kids clobber (think Boden, Pumpkin patch etc etc) - e.g. stuff that retails for £30-60 for a dress - from sellers in Ireland. We even found one of our eBay sellers was trying to flog their house, it looks like things are biting hard.

HOLA447

I've never come across a genuine home job, a

I've come across a real job, they generally involve astroturfing, i.e. you review something favourably. Nigh on 9 months ago I got a short gig writing reviews for WGs I was paid 75p per review and could do a maximum of 30 of them.

HOLA448

I was in a long cue in the bank yesterday and the guy in front wanted to pay 17p into his account, the funny thing was that he only had 20p on him so demanded change of 3p.

That is awesome, another way to annoy the banks. Unfortunately my bank doesn't have branches and I have to pay in at the Post Office, otherwise I'd be doing this on Monday.

As for working from home, I work from home. It's a genuine job and I am a genuine human being. Honest.

HOLA449

As for working from home, I work from home. It's a genuine job and I am a genuine human being. Honest.

Yep but I bet you didn't answer an ad saying "You can earn £75 an hour working from home" ..

And as for the Ebay thing .. Mrs Shed Dweller is the ebay queen .. the kids clothes always decent brands Boden Pumpkin patch etc .. come from the charity shop that does not know what they are .. (50p an item) and get worn by the children .. then ebayed .. a coupel of years ago we made a pretty decent profit .. we make slightly less now .. (Ebay has changed alot .. and there are fewer people overpaying for stuff) .. we have always been pretty thrifty like that .. it probably pays less well now because more people are doing it ..

HOLA4410

That is awesome, another way to annoy the banks. Unfortunately my bank doesn't have branches and I have to pay in at the Post Office, otherwise I'd be doing this on Monday.

sounds like he was doing it to be able to draw a note from the machine, maybe to make the balance 0. I doubt he really needed the pence or was there in a que just to annoy someone equally bored on the other side of the glass.

HOLA4411

We furnished a 3 bed house through ebay. Made 2k look like 20. The bargain was the 8 seater dining room table and chairs bought for £160 , still available at John Lewis £1800! Its not about how much you earn its how wisely you spend. ;)

Edited by Bear in mind

HOLA4412
We furnished a 3 bed house through ebay. Made 2k look like 20. The bargain was the 8 seater dining room table and chairs bought for £160 , still available at John Lewis £1800! Its not about how much you earn its how wisely you spend. ;)

I buy or choose everything online.

I save between 40 and 80% on everything I buy as a result.

Some stuff I choose the supplier online and collect, other stuff I'll have delivered.

From a look around my house, it looks like I earn 4x as much as I really do.

HOLA4413

I bought an alomost new Ekornes Stressless (Norwegian kit and great for bad backs--or to prevent a bad back from forming!) 2 seater sofa on eBay for £650 (etail around £2000) and sold my old one for £125.

I am planing to buy a nearly new Neff double oven on eBay for my house when we move in and you cabn pick up a nearly new for £100-£200 saving yourself £600-£800.

In an age of austerity it is not worth buying anything new other than drawers and socks. Look how much VAT the government will not be getting. :o