House Price Crash Forum

Radio Dj Under Fire For Renting 12 Garages Out As Bedrooms

BlueRat

HOLA441

Radio DJ under fire for renting 12 garages out as BEDROOMS (and he claims he didn't even need planning permission)

A radio DJ has been criticised for renting out 12 garages as bedrooms - after planning officials said they were 'horrified' at the tenants' living conditions.

Darren Parks built a wall behind the behind the garage doors and rented them as rooms for six years. One tenant said they pay £450 for a room and use of a shared kitchen in one of the six town houses in Hulme, Greater Manchester. Parks claims he was told on the phone that he did not need planning permission to convert the garages. But he has now been told he must turn them back into garages.

Full story with photo of the smug little Rachman:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358574/Radio-DJ-renting-12-garages-BEDROOMS-insists-Im-dodgy-landlord.html

HOLA442

You really have to question the marbles of people willing to pay 450 quid a month to live in a converted garage with access to a shared kitchen when there are loads of 1 bed room flats within 1 mile of hulme upto £500 (154 flats, and 173 if you include studio) .

I myself pay a paltry £350 to live in a comfortable 1 bed flat (with it's own seperate kitchen) in the posh bit of Stretford, where £300K is the normal asking price for a semi attached. Trams every 8 mins to the city, which is 5 stops (less than 10 minutes) away. I appreciate that in Hulme you can walk to University area in 10 minutes, or city centre in 10 minutes, but really these folk need to look at themselves. This "landlord" should have been laughed at when he showed prospective tenants a bricked up garage as a viable let. Wonder if any are HB?

Edited by hirop

HOLA443
HOLA444

You really have to question the marbles of people willing to pay 450 quid a month to live in a converted garage with access to a shared kitchen when there are loads of 1 bed room flats within 1 mile of hulme upto £500 (154 flats, and 173 if you include studio) .

I myself pay a paltry £350 to live in a comfortable 1 bed flat (with it's own seperate kitchen) in the posh bit of Stretford, where £300K is the normal asking price for a semi attached. Trams every 8 mins to the city, which is 5 stops (less than 10 minutes) away. I appreciate that in Hulme you can walk to University area in 10 minutes, or city centre in 10 minutes, but really these folk need to look at themselves. This "landlord" should have been laughed at when he showed prospective tenants a bricked up garage as a viable let. Wonder if any are HB?

I guess, although this way you save on utility bills and can stay off the radar for council tax.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

So if a garage yields £3380 a year, how much should it cost?

What would be a good price for the slumlord B2Let guy?

They don't; a good yield for a garage in Hulme is around £500 a year (£45 a month). I'm not sure what your point is. My point was that the rent reported isn't covered by housing benefit. In any case, the council won't make an HB award for a property which isn't on the Council Tax database.

HOLA4410

They don't; a good yield for a garage in Hulme is around £500 a year (£45 a month). I'm not sure what your point is. My point was that the rent reported isn't covered by housing benefit. In any case, the council won't make an HB award for a property which isn't on the Council Tax database.

I've known it be done on a a/b/number flat, even for postboxes!

HOLA4411