House Price Crash Forum

Just As Predicted: Campaign To Scrap Minimum Wage Picking Up Steam

Boom Boom

HOLA441

Minimum wage scraped in the 80s??? What are you on about? There was wage councils that set wage floors but they were not abolished. The power to create new councils was abolished. However, there was no minimum wage in the 80s??????

Wrong

There was a low pay unit which was scrapped in the 80's , and it set the floor on wages . It was scrapped.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Demand on beer has dropped in pubs but increased in supermarkets where it is now cheaper than soft drinks.

Smoking has decreased

Petrol is used more now than ever , but many in NMW jobs don't have cars . Not due to the price of the petrol but because they can not afford the car.

Each to there own, I disagree with those statements but if that's what you believe than fair enough.

HOLA443

Wrong

There was a low pay unit which was scrapped in the 80's , and it set the floor on wages . It was scrapped.

You're quite an argumentative twerp aren't you?

The Trade Boards Act of 1909 created four Trades Boards that set minimum wages which varied between industries for a number of sectors where "sweating" was generally regarded as a problem and where collective bargaining was not well established. This system was extended considerably after the Second World War; in 1945 Trades Boards became Wages Councils, which set minimum wage standards in many sectors of the economy, including the service sector as well as manufacturing.[37][38] Wages Councils were finally abolished in 1993 [not the 80s]The government had first made a serious attempt to abolish Wages Councils in 1986, having abandoned existing legislation that tried to widen the scope of voluntary agreements to include those firms that had not taken part in negotiations, such as the Fair Wages Resolutions. These required that government contractors pay fair wages and respect the rights of their employees to be members of trades unions. ,[39] having fallen into decline due, in large part, to Trades Union opposition. A lower limit of pay, or "pay floor" was regarded as threatening the voluntary system of collective bargaining favoured in the UK. The government had first made a serious attempt to abolish Wages Councils in 1986, having abandoned existing legislation that tried to widen the scope of voluntary agreements to include those firms that had not taken part in negotiations, such as the Fair Wages Resolutions. These required that government contractors pay fair wages and respect the rights of their employees to be members of trades unions.

Instead the Wages Act 1986 reformed the wages councils and abolished the power to create new ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_law#United_Kingdom

You just be pwned mate...be gone with you!

HOLA444

Each to there own, I disagree with those statements but if that's what you believe than fair enough.

You don't agree with those statments

If demand for beer in pubs has not gone down why are so many pubs closing ?

Check out the price of beer and cider in your local supermarket !!

Smoking has not dropped , give a reason to back that up !!

How many people do you know on the NMW that own a car ?

Did you own and run a car in 1998 ?

HOLA445

You're quite an argumentative twerp aren't you?

The Trade Boards Act of 1909 created four Trades Boards that set minimum wages which varied between industries for a number of sectors where "sweating" was generally regarded as a problem and where collective bargaining was not well established. This system was extended considerably after the Second World War; in 1945 Trades Boards became Wages Councils, which set minimum wage standards in many sectors of the economy, including the service sector as well as manufacturing.[37][38] Wages Councils were finally abolished in 1993 [not the 80s]The government had first made a serious attempt to abolish Wages Councils in 1986, having abandoned existing legislation that tried to widen the scope of voluntary agreements to include those firms that had not taken part in negotiations, such as the Fair Wages Resolutions. These required that government contractors pay fair wages and respect the rights of their employees to be members of trades unions. ,[39] having fallen into decline due, in large part, to Trades Union opposition. A lower limit of pay, or "pay floor" was regarded as threatening the voluntary system of collective bargaining favoured in the UK. The government had first made a serious attempt to abolish Wages Councils in 1986, having abandoned existing legislation that tried to widen the scope of voluntary agreements to include those firms that had not taken part in negotiations, such as the Fair Wages Resolutions. These required that government contractors pay fair wages and respect the rights of their employees to be members of trades unions.

Instead the Wages Act 1986 reformed the wages councils and abolished the power to create new ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_law#United_Kingdom

You just be pwned mate...be gone with you!

I could call you a lot more than a twerp but I won't bother !!!

Where are these wage councils today ?

Where is the low pay unit today ? answer scrapped in 1985

HOLA446

Let tax paying workers buy beer and tobacco at a reduced rate and reap the rewards.

Yes the tax on booze and cigs is unbelievable and that's coming from a non-smoker who doesn't drink much. But part of the reason I didn't drink much in Britain was I couldn't afford it even in the supermarket. Ideally I'd like to drink a couple of cans a night and maybe 4 cans/ night on Friday/ Saturday's. so around 18 cans/ week (just over 4 cartons).

But I could only afford 4 cans a week which I saved for Friday night. Sure it's more healthy but I should be able to choose for myself whether I want to drink a lot and it's still not as unhealthy as eating junk food so why isn't that taxed more than booze? ;)

Unfortunately my favourite drink, creamy smooth bitters e.g. Worthingtons aren't sold in China :angry:

HOLA447

You don't agree with those statments No I don't, that's why I wrote "I don't agree"...jeez???

If demand for beer in pubs has not gone down why are so many pubs closing ? Most likely because the Community Pub is a dying breed and most that go out go to Fun Pubs or night clubs that charge over 3 quid a pint!

Check out the price of beer and cider in your local supermarket !! I know the price in my local supermarker but Mr Singh up the road is far cheaper! However, as with the price in the supermarkets, his soft drinks are cheaper than booze...unless that is you drink Tescos Extra Value Lager?

Smoking has not dropped , give a reason to back that up !! It has most likely dropped amongst my generation but more and more teens are taking it up.

How many people do you know on the NMW that own a car ? All NMW guys and gals at the company I work for all have a car of some sort with most bought by their folks or on credit from CarCraft. All they do is piss and moan about how all there money goes on paying for booze, fags and a car.

Did you own and run a car in 1998 ? Yes, G Plate Ford Sierra Sapphire 2.0 GL and I was at Uni at that time.

Would you like my papers next?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Would you like my papers next?

Crap

Pubs are shutting

Smoking is down

As i said take a look at prices in the supermarket good beers are cheap

NMW folk do not own cars the insurance has gone up to much nothing to do with NMW

You still did not give reasons for the flats going up will ask again do you blame that on the NMW ?

HOLA4410

Demand on beer has dropped in pubs but increased in supermarkets where it is now cheaper than soft drinks.

Smoking has decreased

Petrol is used more now than ever , but many in NMW jobs don't have cars . Not due to the price of the petrol but because they can not afford the car.

Beer in supermarkets is cheaper because there's less labour between the brewery and you. No-one pours the pints into glasses for you that have to be washed and then wipe the tables and afterwards.

People buy beer in supermarkets because they're not prepared to pay someone else even the national minimum of £6/hr to provide this service for them.

Effectively, every time you crank the NMW up you're not making poor person richer (obviously dimwits immune to logic believe they are - or more likely believe they're making evil companies and rich people poorer). It just forces more companies to automate manual labour roles and forces more consumers to abandon service economy businesses in favour of a DIY approach.

The point about cars is just not true.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Smoking has decreased

I can buy a car right now for £200 cash, but I have not the £2500+ it will cost me to insure, I'm generationally priced out effectively if I choose low paid work. I need a £3k pay rise for insurance and road tax purposes + 1/10th of cost renewing a license etc.

Very low fines for no insurance tax and twoc still wink.gif

HOLA4413

Beer in supermarkets is cheaper because there's less labour between the brewery and you. No-one pours the pints into glasses for you that have to be washed and then wipe the tables and afterwards.

People buy beer in supermarkets because they're not prepared to pay someone else even the national minimum of £6/hr to provide this service for them.

Effectively, every time you crank the NMW up you're not making poor person richer (obviously dimwits immune to logic believe they are - or more likely believe they're making evil companies and rich people poorer). It just forces more companies to automate manual labour roles and forces more consumers to abandon service economy businesses in favour of a DIY approach.

Wrong

NMW people own cars NOPE not if funded by their earnings ,

People buy beer in supermarkets as it is so cheap and they are not prepared to pay the interest on the debt that the big pub chains owe.

So the person on £6 per hour would be better off on £3 per hour lol.

Automateing labour only came in following the NMW Don't think so !!

HOLA4414

I can buy a car right now for £200 cash, but I have not the £2500+ it will cost me to insure, I'm generationally priced out effectively if I choose low paid work. I need a £3k pay rise for insurance and road tax purposes + 1/10th of cost renewing a license etc.

Exactley

So putting up the NMW would have no effect on the price of petrol

HOLA4415

Crap

Pubs are shutting I don't deny that

Smoking is down amongst my generation I don't deny that

As i said take a look at prices in the supermarket good beers are cheap Yes they are cheap, but not cheaper than soft drinks (apart from the Tesco Value Lager)

NMW folk do not own cars the insurance has gone up to much nothing to do with NMW Ok..........whatever you say.....

You still did not give reasons for the flats going up will ask again do you blame that on the NMW ? Gonna let you stew on that one...

HOLA4416

Your not paying for someone to pour you a drink at £6ph, thats a few penny a pint price that.

You paying for rent, return for shareholders. Rent of warehouses and other premises, the licenses for duty suspension and correct administration thereof via plenty of staff / fines administered by government staff. VAT. DUTY. The NI and Income tax of those pouring you a pint and the administration of them taxes.

If beer was made of beans and there were 10 beans to a pint you have 10^10 bean counters.

HOLA4417

Of course UY, you're totally right! But that is where CREDIT comes into play...most NMWs I know are coughing up via monthly installments or either from the parents as named driver or with the parents paying the premium. I've even had some in the factory tell me that they took out a loan for the car and included in the loan was their first year's insurance premium.

Where there is a will there is a way...even if it's futile! You talk as if high insurance is a new trend...it was the same back in the eary 90s when my sierra was 800 quid to insure! How did I do it? Monthly installments at 15% APR whilst at Uni and working in a pub part time for 3 quid an hour!

Miko, seriously, take a chill pill! You're losing it big time!

HOLA4418

So you agee on the pubs

Smoking is down in every age group

post 37 answered the car question

and the flats one you know you can not blame on the NMW so you will not answer after being asked again and again.

HOLA4419

So you agee on the pubs

Smoking is down in every age group

post 37 answered the car question

and the flats one you know you can not blame on the NMW so you will not answer after being asked again and again.

Smoking is booming, but black market sales are taking the slack.

The sales are measured by duty rates.

We have black market tobacco factories springing up all over and taking advantage of cheap labour, much lie they have been doing wih cannabis farms.

Grass root blackmarkets

HOLA4420

Your not paying for someone to pour you a drink at £6ph, thats a few penny a pint price that.

You paying for rent, return for shareholders. Rent of warehouses and other premises, the licenses for duty suspension and correct administration thereof via plenty of staff / fines administered by government staff. VAT. DUTY. The NI and Income tax of those pouring you a pint and the administration of them taxes.

If beer was made of beans and there were 10 beans to a pint you have 10^10 bean counters.

The supermarket pays all those things too.

Obviously premises rent can be a factor where a mail order operation may not pay as high rent as a prime city centre shop.

However, the key determinant in the differing costs of items is almost always the amount and cost of labour involved.

Eg

Fosters Lager in the supermarket comes off a largely automated production line automatically on a pallet that's loaded on to a lorry and taken to a supermarket distribution centre. Minimal low-cost NMW type labour there will forward that to a store where someone will put it in the shelf before you buy it through a self-service checkout.

Fosters lager in pub comes off the production line in kegs. A driver and mate have to manually deliver these kegs to the cellar of a pub. Someone has to connect the hose. Someone has to pour the pint. Someone has be there the whole time you are and wash the glasses and wipe the tables.

HOLA4421

Of course UY, you're totally right! But that is where CREDIT comes into play...most NMWs I know are coughing up via monthly installments or either from the parents as named driver or with the parents paying the premium. I've even had some in the factory tell me that they took out a loan for the car and included in the loan was their first year's insurance premium.

Where there is a will there is a way...even if it's futile! You talk as if high insurance is a new trend...it was the same back in the eary 90s when my sierra was 800 quid to insure! How did I do it? Monthly installments at 15% APR whilst at Uni and working in a pub part time for 3 quid an hour!

Miko, seriously, take a chill pill! You're losing it big time!

No im not

by the way I did not write the post you just answered

FLATS FLATS ANY ANSWER FOR THE FLATS QUESTION ?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The supermarket pays all those things too.

Obviously premises rent can be a factor where a mail order operation may not pay as high rent as a prime city centre shop.

However, the key determinant in the differing costs of items is almost always the amount and cost of labour involved.

Well there is plenty of labour involved in beer prior to it getting to the pub and from my days working in a brewery and knowing how much we all got paid the( 20k back in 1989 the draymen were on lots more ) NMW for those pouring it would have very little effect on the price.

HOLA4424

No im not

by the way I did not write the post you just answered

FLATS FLATS ANY ANSWER FOR THE FLATS QUESTION ?

Yes you are

I know, hence the "UY" (Unemployed Youth) I wrote on the first paragraph...goes to show that you're not reading my posts. Last part was for you, so glad you picked that up!

STEW STEW, GONNA LET YOU STEW ON THAT QUESTION!

LOL!!!!!! :lol:

HOLA4425

No

No

I'm not counting the posts.

Gonna let you stew on that one!

Make your mind up are pubs closing or not answer yes so it's

Yes

Smoking is down

Yes

Nor am I but I know I asked the question a good few times

No no stewing you know the answer but do not want to admit it do you !!

Archived