House Price Crash Forum

Dominic Raab Mp

hilltop

HOLA441

This smart young MP for Esher has been in the job only since the Election.

He is trying to supress his email address because people want to contact him. They may even ask him to do things.

This is a worse abuse, to my mind, than claiming for duck houses. He is taking a good salary while failing to do the most elementary part of the job - to be accessible.

When will Daft Dave's new power for Constituents to get rid of a rubbish MP come into force?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/08/10/tory-mp-demands-pesky-constituents-stop-emailing-him-115875-22477193/

HOLA442
Guest Noodle

He is trying to supress his email address because people want to contact him. They may even ask him to do things.

This is a worse abuse, to my mind, than claiming for duck houses. He is taking a good salary while failing to do the most elementary part of the job - to be accessible.

When will Daft Dave's new power for Constituents to get rid of a rubbish MP come into force?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/08/10/tory-mp-demands-pesky-constituents-stop-emailing-him-115875-22477193/

Email culture is why nothing actually gets done. People are so busy telling each other to do great lists of nothing. If people had to call, this wouldn't happen or if they had to actually pen a real letter.

I make him right. He's probably wasting half his day having to endlessly respond to nothing much.

HOLA443

Email culture is why nothing actually gets done. People are so busy telling each other to do great lists of nothing. If people had to call, this wouldn't happen or if they had to actually pen a real letter.

I make him right. He's probably wasting half his day having to endlessly respond to nothing much.

Nah, people like him will not reply to letters either. I'll bet that if you go to one of his constituency surgeries, you would hear laughter as you left the room. Just doesn't get it.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Dominic Raab was on the radio last night explaining himself. Basically he is fed up of receiving hundreds / thousands of cloned e mails from pressure groups mass distribution lists. Rather than spend all day wading through / deleting the same e mail hundreds / thousands of times, he would prefer to spend his time reading e mails / correspondence from his constituents who have real issues they feel need raising with their MP. Typical Daily Mirror sensationalist tripe.

HOLA446

From the story he appears to have no problem with his constituents. It's the single issue lobby groups filling his inbox with drivel

about why he should personally save the outer mongolian one-eyed wombat from extinction or some such rubbish which is irritating.

HOLA447

You certainly know how to identify evil. Pure evil. A few more exposes like this and you will finally defeat Darth Cameron.

Those swamp rats are coming in handy after all, eh?

Use your force.

Obi Milliband Kenobi can become more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I like to believe that I am scrupulously fair-minded and objective.

Therefore I will write to Mr Raab about an issue in which he has a political interest and see if I get a reply. It will be a policy issue which he should not fob off on constituency grounds.

Should I get a reply I will report the fact on these pages and exonerate him from my suspicions.

HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

Therefore I will write to Mr Raab about an issue in which he has a political interest and see if I get a reply. It will be a policy issue which he should not fob off on constituency grounds.

Should I get a reply I will report the fact on these pages and exonerate him from my suspicions.

Good idea. What about?

HOLA4411

Good idea. What about?

[/quote

Haven't decided yet. I see that he claims to be interested in 'Justice'. I might ask him to make Public Bodies report details of their spending on legal services.

Or I might ask him how the Voluntary Sector, essential to the Big Society, can enlist the support of MPs. ;);)

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

Good idea. What about?

[/quote

Haven't decided yet. I see that he claims to be interested in 'Justice'. I might ask him to make Public Bodies report details of their spending on legal services.

Or I might ask him how the Voluntary Sector, essential to the Big Society, can enlist the support of MPs. ;);)

Sounds good. I reckon you'll get a response, might take a while.

HOLA4413

Don't they have secretaries to filter out all the crap, be it delivered by letter or by email?

He can't be expected to waste all day reading tripe, if he did you would then accuse him of being ineffective.

HOLA4414

Don't they have secretaries to filter out all the crap, be it delivered by letter or by email?

He can't be expected to waste all day reading tripe, if he did you would then accuse him of being ineffective.

Agreed. Given that many pressure groups and other political bodies now provide email templates for their members and supporters to use in order to persuade the target through sheer weight of numbers, of course he doesn't want to read the same one over and over again. Some administrative system that identifies each template and records the number of times it's sent to each MP from a different individual, so that s/he can get an idea of how many people support its contents, would seem to be a sensible idea.

Personally I think that refusing to accept correspondence by email at all is going a bit too far. It's the same principle whereby some employers will only accept handwritten applications - it weeds out scattergun applications based on a saved file, and ensures that only people who really want the job will apply for it. The problem is that with such an approach you're wasting the time of people who are not trying to waste yours (i.e. by forcing them to use a time-consuming and inefficient means of contacting you), and MPs should not be encouraged to do this.

HOLA4415

A colleague of mine seems to send "stream of consciousness" emails, so I get about 4x as many emails from her as I do anyone else.

Sometimes it's stuff relating to the same subject that she just emailed me about. Or I get an email telling me to ignore what she said in the last email!

The end result is that I end up leaving her stuff till last until I'm sure she's worked out what it is she actually wants.

HOLA4416
Guest Noodle

A colleague of mine seems to send "stream of consciousness" emails, so I get about 4x as many emails from her as I do anyone else.

Sometimes it's stuff relating to the same subject that she just emailed me about. Or I get an email telling me to ignore what she said in the last email!

The end result is that I end up leaving her stuff till last until I'm sure she's worked out what it is she actually wants.

Emails, meetings, team building sessions . . . just let me get the fvck on with the work!

Emails became an inefficient nonsense. They are the weapon of choice for the managerial sociopath with delusions of grandeur and all manner of petty complexes.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

:lol: Sometimes, when it's busy, I really dread what might be waiting for me in my inbox.

Biggest mistake I ever made was this . . . a sinister device.

blackberry-curve.jpg

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I just had an 'idiots' folder with a rule that certain peoples emails went directly to that. The plan was to read them at the end of the day, so their stupidity wouldn't ruin my day, but I found not reading them at all caused no issue.

HOLA4421
Guest theboltonfury

I have tried to email Brown and Blair probably over a hundred times to tell them both my thoughts on their terms - which you can safely assume were not glowqing reports. Neither of those replied to me either.

I'm quite sure, like you say, it's just a Tory thing. Labour MPs are only too happy to help aren't they.

HOLA4422
Guest theboltonfury

So why do you take The Mirror then? It makes The Mail look like Steinbeck.

HOLA4423
Guest theboltonfury

I just had an 'idiots' folder with a rule that certain peoples emails went directly to that. The plan was to read them at the end of the day, so their stupidity wouldn't ruin my day, but I found not reading them at all caused no issue.

Yes, but those idiots eventually fired you?

HOLA4424

Yes, but those idiots eventually fired you?

The one who fired me had his very own folder, and everyone did that as the mans emails were often just bizarre, rather than idiotic. I think one workmate called his WTF.

HOLA4425
Guest theboltonfury

The one who fired me had his very own folder, and everyone did that as the mans emails were often just bizarre, rather than idiotic. I think one workmate called his WTF.

The workplace is like the road. You only really have to watch out for the idiots!

Archived