House Price Crash Forum

Swansea Uni Allegedly Sent Out Letters Of 'redundancy' This Week

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

According to various sources on Friday a large number of, if not most, academic staff in Swansea University received a letter.

Whilst I do not know the specifics of the letter I am told that it, allegedly, basically informed staff that were to be large cuts across all departments, that posts would be made redundant and that staff would be able to (have to?) apply for any new posts created.

Or rather, that is what has been implied to me by various people because, according to the people I have been chatting with, they feel that there is now an air of divide and conquer - as in who has got the letters, who has not got the letters, how many are going, which posts are going, etc, etc.

I know, from my sources, that at least one entire department received the letters along with numerous others in different departments.

At the moment people are trying to find out who else has received the letter without letting on that they themselves have received it - simply because it implies that if you have received the letter then your job is going to go or at least is on the line.

Interesting isn't it - instead of announcing publicly large job losses/cuts you create, allegedly, an air of fear, suspicion and competition amongst your workforce. How would you feel if you received such a letter.

Of course, all of the above may not be true but then, as I have heard this from various sources in the past 24 hours and those sources have been sounding out their colleagues and other staff members, I can only assume it is true.

I understand that there are a lot of very worried Swansea uni staff this weekend.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest absolutezero

According to various sources on Friday a large number of, if not most, academic staff in Swansea University received a letter.

Whilst I do not know the specifics of the letter I am told that it, allegedly, basically informed staff that were to be large cuts across all departments, that posts would be made redundant and that staff would be able to (have to?) apply for any new posts created.

Or rather, that is what has been implied to me by various people because, according to the people I have been chatting with, they feel that there is now an air of divide and conquer - as in who has got the letters, who has not got the letters, how many are going, which posts are going, etc, etc.

I know, from my sources, that at least one entire department received the letters along with numerous others in different departments.

At the moment people are trying to find out who else has received the letter without letting on that they themselves have received it - simply because it implies that if you have received the letter then your job is going to go or at least is on the line.

Interesting isn't it - instead of announcing publicly large job losses/cuts you create, allegedly, an air of fear, suspicion and competition amongst your workforce. How would you feel if you received such a letter.

Of course, all of the above may not be true but then, as I have heard this from various sources in the past 24 hours and those sources have been sounding out their colleagues and other staff members, I can only assume it is true.

I understand that there are a lot of very worried Swansea uni staff this weekend.

LINK! I DEMAND A LINK. UNTIL YOU GIVE A LINK IT'S ALL MADE UP SCAREMONGERING.

No one will get the push.

Sorry. I'd been possessed by Mr Spin Esq for a minute then.

HOLA443

They could always work out the size of the paycuts necessary to achieve the required saving. So that the weakest are protected, those under £25k should be unaffected. The rest could sacrifice 50%(or whatever percentage gives the required figure) of the excess over 25k.

Could even be the subject of a real academic paper.

HOLA444
HOLA445

You see in the real world aka private sector. You have to warn people that they are at risk of redundancy, then have a period of consultation where you may suggest cost saving ways to save your job, for instance working part time etc.

Then the employers define various criteria, this maybe skills, length of service, time keeping, etc We then score people, such that those we want to get rid of score less than those we want to keep. But doesnt it sound nice and fair. :D

HOLA446
Guest absolutezero

You see in the real world aka private sector. You have to warn people that they are at risk of redundancy, then have a period of consultation where you may suggest cost saving ways to save your job, for instance working part time etc.

Then the employers define various criteria, this maybe skills, length of service, time keeping, etc We then score people, such that those we want to get rid of score less than those we want to keep. But doesnt it sound nice and fair. :D

It's exactly the same in the real world public sector.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest absolutezero

Of course it would be, but I suspect this is the first time anyone in that sector will have had a redundancy at their work place. So its bound to be a little shocking.

You are misinformed.

HOLA449

You are misinformed.

And yet the OP implies that uni staff are very worried, concerned about who got the letter and who didnt, thinking that this is some sort of divide and conquer ploy.

"At the moment people are trying to find out who else has received the letter without letting on that they themselves have received it - simply because it implies that if you have received the letter then your job is going to go or at least is on the line."

These are the words of people who have never seen redundancy before. The people who have had the letter are "at risk", nothing has been decided as that would be unlawful (lol). You probably decide 50 are going, and send out 100, maybe more letters. Maybe every single person gets one.

Then Hilder cant complain that Betty never got a letter and therefore it was unfair on her.

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero

And yet the OP implies that uni staff are very worried, concerned about who got the letter and who didnt, thinking that this is some sort of divide and conquer ploy.

"At the moment people are trying to find out who else has received the letter without letting on that they themselves have received it - simply because it implies that if you have received the letter then your job is going to go or at least is on the line."

These are the words of people who have never seen redundancy before. The people who have had the letter are "at risk", nothing has been decided as that would be unlawful (lol). You probably decide 50 are going, and send out 100, maybe more letters. Maybe every single person gets one.

Then Hilder cant complain that Betty never got a letter and therefore it was unfair on her.

This is currently happening up and down the country and most people realise this is how it works.

Their unions explain the whole process to them carefully.

HOLA4411

This is currently happening up and down the country and most people realise this is how it works.

Their unions explain the whole process to them carefully.

I see, so Tulip you are completely wrong in your assessment of the situation, no one is worried, and everyone understand how it all works. Zero says so. :lol:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest absolutezero

I see, so Tulip you are completely wrong in your assessment of the situation, no one is worried, and everyone understand how it all works. Zero says so. :lol:

Just because they understand it doesn't mean they won't go about finding out who else got one.

That's human nature.

HOLA4414

People are worried... and shocked... so I am told. I don't think they have ever had redundancies - could be wrong though.

Apparently yesterday was the day when the uni basically shut down for the Summer.

HOLA4415

People are worried... and shocked... so I am told. I don't think they have ever had redundancies - could be wrong though.

No, I think you are spot on fella. Ive never heard of the public sector making someone redundant, I mean why would they? They dont have to make a profit do they lol

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

No, I think you are spot on fella. Ive never heard of the public sector making someone redundant, I mean why would they? They dont have to make a profit do they lol

I was told a story about a new department head who started there and arranged to meet his/her new staff.

At the meeting the new department head wanted to know, allegedly, where several members of his/her staff were and when he/she questioned the staff who turned up none of them were aware of the other members of staff because no one had ever seen them. They were allegedly oblivious to the fact that they in fact had additional members of staff in their department.

I am told that being an academic doing research in Swansea Uni is, allegedly, a very cushy number.

HOLA4418

Anyhow, the main reason why I posted this is, if true, then this will have an affect on the local housing market - but for good or bad.

If staff go and are given a lump sum payment/pension paid up then it might be enough for them to pay off their mortgage and settle down to just earning enough to pay the bills, put enough aside for old age.

If the staff go and they are not given a lump sum/pension paid up then it could be dire for the local housing market.

HOLA4419

If the staff go and they are not given a lump sum/pension paid up then it could be dire for the local housing market.

How many people are we talking about? Surely it cant be enough to make any real difference? We have massive private sector redundancies last few years and it made no difference at all.

HOLA4420
Guest absolutezero

Damn public sector - all shutting down 'for the Summer'. They do it from the House of Commons to the schools and unis. They're all the same. (irony)

Yes. How dare some people have better working conditions than yours?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This is sometimes done even if the number of planned redundancies is trivial. It can have a great effect on the morale, and is a good way of seriously damaging a company if the competent people resign to avoid being next.

Please keep us updated. Many thanks.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Apparently yesterday was the day when the uni basically shut down for the Summer.

Lucky peeps. When I worked for a university it certainly didn't shut down for the summer although the focus of the work shifted more towards research than teaching.