House Price Crash Forum

Opinions On Nlp

HOLA441

Did a course on NLP recently - promising to be the cure to all problems, and you can "change" you life.

Whilst I could see the basic idea of visualising what you want, goal setting - and trying to program you mind in the way you want rather than by other people or the TV, media etc made sense - I thought it was all a bit embarassing doing the exercises and not something i'd openly discuss - and the exercises are poorly setup - there is no way of verifying if a person has visualised anything or if its really worked, its a little superficial . Thought it was just formalised commonsense - not really that special a bit of a let down, but might help focus you a little.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I guess there are a 1001 varieties of NLP nowadays.

Bizarre exercises? Hmm, tell us more. Were they taking the proverbial.

I am a firm believe in positive thinking re life and the Universe. Ruddy hard at the best of times but if you ask the Universe in the right way you might be surprised at the response.

HOLA443

I am a firm believe in positive thinking re life and the Universe. Ruddy hard at the best of times but if you ask the Universe in the right way you might be surprised at the response.

Exercises like visualising yourself in 6 months time - when you have achieved some sort of goal - lets say lost weight, what do you feel, what do you hear, what do you see - try to visualise yourself in that - when will you know you have achieved this - not something you chat to your workmates about.

Funny thing was on the course - I found most of the people on the course - for example you would talk about a goal - I would pick something fairly tough like lose a few stone, or get a new job etc - They would pick something buy a new car, or book a holiday, or do some paperwork - hardly a tough goal - book a holiday - they were all complete nitwits - unless they were just choosing easy examples for the class - I just looked at them and though get a grip !

HOLA444

Exercises like visualising yourself in 6 months time - when you have achieved some sort of goal - lets say lost weight, what do you feel, what do you hear, what do you see - try to visualise yourself in that - when will you know you have achieved this - not something you chat to your workmates about.

Funny thing was on the course - I found most of the people on the course - for example you would talk about a goal - I would pick something fairly tough like lose a few stone, or get a new job etc - They would pick something buy a new car, or book a holiday, or do some paperwork - hardly a tough goal - book a holiday - they were all complete nitwits - unless they were just choosing easy examples for the class - I just looked at them and though get a grip !

To be frank, the things you mentioned are part of healthy, emotionally intelligent things to do.

I thought you were going to say something like imagining that you are a stone or a tree or a circle?

People who focus on material things are often people who lack emotionally intelligence - look up emotional intelligence and Daniel Goleman.

But that is how people judge happiness in this Society - by buying and having 'things'. Things are usually cars, houses, holidays, gadgets. Heck, I have even met born again Christians who are convinced that they can afford expensive things because God prefers them to others.

Usually people who think such things but who go on such courses are people at the beginning of their journey. In time, hopefully, most of them will come to realise that the material is unimportant and move on to focus on the big questions. Go and hug a tree or realise that different flowers have different textures to touch and feel.

I believe that we are all Spiritual Beings who have lived forever and will live forever. I believe we come here to learn life lessons - things to help our souls develop and to help us enrich ourselves and others. I believe in Soul Groups. I believe in Spirit Guides.

Maybe NLP is the wrong path for you to pursue. Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just the wrong NLP course.

HOLA445

How long have you been asking the universe for a cheap house?

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest absolutezero

How long have you been asking the universe for a cheap house?

Who do you think he is? Noel Edmonds?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Like a lot of things, the practitioner or instructor is key, and there are a dozens of crappy nlp instructors to a decent one. And there are bunch patterning their class into thinking they had a good instructor, which they did, but not in the way the expected.

I've used some of the techniques in sports and visualisation helps tremendously with learning routines, and in coaching. Language is key. You really start to pick up on things like “don't, drop the weight“

Most is self taught and I wouldn't claim to know much, but I'd suggest going back to the Milton Erickson stuff or maybe Bandler / Grinder and transformations as a lot of the value is there.

HOLA4410

To be frank, the things you mentioned are part of healthy, emotionally intelligent things to do.

I thought you were going to say something like imagining that you are a stone or a tree or a circle?

People who focus on material things are often people who lack emotionally intelligence - look up emotional intelligence and Daniel Goleman.

But that is how people judge happiness in this Society - by buying and having 'things'. Things are usually cars, houses, holidays, gadgets. Heck, I have even met born again Christians who are convinced that they can afford expensive things because God prefers them to others.

Usually people who think such things but who go on such courses are people at the beginning of their journey. In time, hopefully, most of them will come to realise that the material is unimportant and move on to focus on the big questions. Go and hug a tree or realise that different flowers have different textures to touch and feel.

I believe that we are all Spiritual Beings who have lived forever and will live forever. I believe we come here to learn life lessons - things to help our souls develop and to help us enrich ourselves and others. I believe in Soul Groups. I believe in Spirit Guides.

Maybe NLP is the wrong path for you to pursue. Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just the wrong NLP course.

I liked the idea of programming your mind, your thoughts, your ideas, having your own vision for your life - when you look back in the past at your life how many of the things you do or say, opinions -or even things you believed in - are as result of the things you watch, people around you - people who don't always have your interests at heart - I just believe that at some level most other people want to influence you to there way of thinking

HOLA4411

I liked the idea of programming your mind, your thoughts, your ideas, having your own vision for your life - when you look back in the past at your life how many of the things you do or say, opinions -or even things you believed in - are as result of the things you watch, people around you - people who don't always have your interests at heart - I just believe that at some level most other people want to influence you to there way of thinking

Hence why I believe it is vital to learn what emotional intelligence is and then to try and become emotionally intelligent.

People who are intellectually intelligent are not necessarily emotionally intelligent. Most are not even aware of emotional intelligence or its importance.

Only once you begin the journey to emotional intelligence can you begin to ask the really big questions about yourself, your life, your purpose here and your journey. It is difficult not to become one of the crowd, to not be influenced by others. It is easier to fit in.

See my signature.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Cosmic Ordering, the secret , - they all seem revolve around thinking positive thinking. I wonder if a starving african visualises himself being fat next year, is it likely to happen.

Probably not. I guess they just aren't thinking positively enough.

HOLA4415

Cosmic Ordering, the secret , - they all seem revolve around thinking positive thinking. I wonder if a starving african visualises himself being fat next year, is it likely to happen.

Cosmic ordering is a load of ****** IMPO and just designed to make the writers of such books wealthy. It is no different to the people I mentioned who think they are rich because they are born again Christians.

It is insulting to the billions of people who live in poverty. It basically makes out that if you ask for something and get it that you are somehow superior in the Universe to someone who does not get what they want.

There is no problem in asking the Universe for something you want. Just realise that sometimes the Universe says no.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think there's some great techniques in NLP but it's been badly manipulated - wasnt there a rift between the original "creators" and one took it all commercial? There's some rubbish out there with people selling weekend courses and saying you are now a qualified NLP life coach. There's actually quite a bit of overlap with CBT I find.

HOLA4418

Cosmic ordering is a load of ****** IMPO and just designed to make the writers of such books wealthy. It is no different to the people I mentioned who think they are rich because they are born again Christians.

It is insulting to the billions of people who live in poverty. It basically makes out that if you ask for something and get it that you are somehow superior in the Universe to someone who does not get what they want.

There is no problem in asking the Universe for something you want. Just realise that sometimes the Universe says no.

Isn't this just providing oneself with an excuse when one fails? It wasn't my fault, it was the universe's.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think there's some great techniques in NLP but it's been badly manipulated - wasnt there a rift between the original "creators" and one took it all commercial? There's some rubbish out there with people selling weekend courses and saying you are now a qualified NLP life coach. There's actually quite a bit of overlap with CBT I find.

Yes, big over-lap between NLP and CBT but NLP sounds sexier so they can charge more.

There will be something new soon.

HOLA4422

I agree the basic ideas of it are not bad - its just been put into course that are not that much use, and run by idiots who have not achieved much - and its got a stupid name as well - Plus to be able to visualise, feel, hear things properly in your head - you really need to work at it - plus you need some real world examples of how to apply it not just techniques.

Other things like embedded commands, matching body language, breathing etc, rapport building - all downright slimy and embarassing - trying to copy another person body language, and using words that they do, and framing orders or commands into questions or statements - all in my opinion pretty pathetic and manipulative and not likely to work on anyone with half a brain.

I don't know if doing the course has made me more aware or I am just paranoid . but you do notice people who try these manipulative approaches on other people.

HOLA4423

Hence why I believe it is vital to learn what emotional intelligence is and then to try and become emotionally intelligent.

People who are intellectually intelligent are not necessarily emotionally intelligent. Most are not even aware of emotional intelligence or its importance.

Only once you begin the journey to emotional intelligence can you begin to ask the really big questions about yourself, your life, your purpose here and your journey. It is difficult not to become one of the crowd, to not be influenced by others. It is easier to fit in.

See my signature.

The sig is good but not sure I like the word 'evil' being used. Far too many religious links IMO. I don't agree with the word really. I think many use it as an excuse for things we as humans do. Apart from that seems to make sense.

Anyway....

HOLA4424

The sig is good but not sure I like the word 'evil' being used. Far too many religious links IMO. I don't agree with the word really. I think many use it as an excuse for things we as humans do. Apart from that seems to make sense.

Anyway....

That is a whole other discussion.

HOLA4425

I don't know if doing the course has made me more aware or I am just paranoid . but you do notice people who try these manipulative approaches on other people.

Yes, I can think of many corporates who train their excs to use manipulative NLP on others.

I know one major US Tech company who uses sciencetology methods allegedly.

Archived