House Price Crash Forum

Tools

Guest Noodle

HOLA441
Guest Noodle

Noodle you can never have too many tools....I love them, never throw away a good piece of wood or screw.......I know someone that loves their tools, has all those you have mentioned and even more, such as chain saw , soldering kit, battery charger, circular saw, lawnmower, hedge clipper, mitre, electric plane, wood turning lathe, tile cutter number of chisels saws and screw drivers.......trouble is everyone gets to know about the collection and pops around to ask to borrow them.

You always need the right tools to do the job quickly easily and correctly....saves both time and money. ;)

I have plastic boxes full of tools here, good value.

I never buy cheap power tools now it's a false economy.

It's that ability to tackle a job and finish it without fuss. I spent some £700 on tools this year for both countries, think of it in terms of having those tools for years and what you achieve with them and it's not much.

HOLA442

you only need 2 tools: wd-40 and duct tape.

if it should move and doesn't, use the wd-40,

otherwise use the tape.

Ah yes, the Binding Force of The Universe, and That Which Makes Everything (sound) Better.

A torque wrench. Gotta have a torque wrench (or two) if you want your toolkit to be taken seriously.

And some cable ties, for when the duct tape doesnt seem right.

HOLA443
Guest Noodle

Shame, let me know if you want anything - could parcel up some stuff and send over.

Already had a look at Ebay, anything from sheel to original, mind you there's the £2k (ish)? transportation on top + customs duty.

It's actually better for tools here than it is in the UK. The DIY stores here make a big B&Q look like a corner store.

HOLA444

I have plastic boxes full of tools here, good value.

I never buy cheap power tools now it's a false economy.

It's that ability to tackle a job and finish it without fuss. I spent some £700 on tools this year for both countries, think of it in terms of having those tools for years and what you achieve with them and it's not much.

No good buying cheap and nasty when it comes to good tools...ok for a £1 cheap primark t-shirt that lasts a season....like good knives and a good sharpener will last a lifetime and pay for itself many times over.

You can tell a good craftsman by the quality of their tools. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Noodle

zip-ties (are they the same things as the cable ties mentioned above?)

Same, same. Some of this lighter stuff I can get here much cheaper.

HOLA449

Drills - I recommend at least two, preferably three decent quality cordless ones if you have to do anything remotely large scale and repetitive simply because its a pita to keep changing drill bits to countersink to driver and back again. Plenty of spare batteries too. Then add a decent standard sized sds mains one for masonry work and optionally a big 1500W wristbreaker with roto stop to also use as a breaker when needed.

If you're working with wood, in addition to what's been mentioned, a decent sliding compound mitre saw is essential. Don't get a cheap one, they're inaccurate.

Decent quality spirit levels, squares and straight edges are also invaluable.

Put a cheap retractable knife in every toolbox - they go walk about. Pencils too.

I group smaller kit by task i.e. I have a dedicated electrical box, a dedicated screwing and fixing box and an engineering box plus a general purpose one. Other stuff e.g. plumbing or building are assembled as required.

HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

Drills - I recommend at least two, preferably three decent quality cordless ones if you have to do anything remotely large scale and repetitive simply because its a pita to keep changing drill bits to countersink to driver and back again. Plenty of spare batteries too. Then add a decent standard sized sds mains one for masonry work and optionally a big 1500W wristbreaker with roto stop to also use as a breaker when needed.

If you're working with wood, in addition to what's been mentioned, a decent sliding compound mitre saw is essential. Don't get a cheap one, they're inaccurate.

Decent quality spirit levels, squares and straight edges are also invaluable.

Put a cheap retractable knife in every toolbox - they go walk about. Pencils too.

I group smaller kit by task i.e. I have a dedicated electrical box, a dedicated screwing and fixing box and an engineering box plus a general purpose one. Other stuff e.g. plumbing or building are assembled as required.

I got the DeWalt 18V with the hammer action.

HOLA4411

I got the DeWalt 18V with the hammer action.

Defo Makita/DeWalt - Hitachi usually OK too. Even with some of these traditional pro brands it's getting harder to avoid the junk.

'Bad workman blames his tools' gotta be one of the most outdated sayings going. I reckon loads of people think a lot of DIY jobs are much harder than they really are just because they've got cr@ppy tools.

For a serious work I find a decent compressor and collection of air tools a must.

HOLA4412

For a serious work I find a decent compressor and collection of air tools a must.

Are you working in an explosive environment? :huh:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

Defo Makita/DeWalt - Hitachi usually OK too. Even with some of these traditional pro brands it's getting harder to avoid the junk.

'Bad workman blames his tools' gotta be one of the most outdated sayings going. I reckon loads of people think a lot of DIY jobs are much harder than they really are just because they've got cr@ppy tools.

True, true and true.

Only thing I'd use a compressor for is re-inflating tyres on Volvo A25-A40's. They have a compressor and air line fitted.

Puncture repair tools and strings only come to around £20 for a decent set. Early days at Raymond Brown, the GF had a T-bar, cordless drill and strings. Only time I've ever seen it done in-house. Every other firm does that stupid puncture call out nonsense at £80 a throw and hours of plant downtime. Crackers.

suntekstore1271312487_image.jpg

Archived