House Price Crash Forum

The 50 Worst Inventions

HOLA441

Complete list ..

My fave

The Mizar Flying Car (on a Ford Pinto :lol: )

The flying car isn't pure science fiction. In the 1940s, inventors even managed to fly a car from California to Ohio, although the model never took off due to cost and technical limitations. But in 1973, an inventor named Henry Smolinksi tried to succeed where others have failed by strapping the wings and tail from a Cessna aircraft to, of all cars, a Ford Pinto. During a test flight in California, the Pinto broke free, plummeting to earth and killing Smolinski and his passenger. Some things are better left to the movies.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1991915_1991909_1991767,00.html#ixzz0pAn4TrZ7

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

They put Betamax in and that is soooooo wrong:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1991915_1991909_1991897,00.html

The Betamax tape design and transport systems are still used professionally all over the world. Sony Betcam, Betcam SP, Digital Betacam and HDCam all use a version of it.

yeah plenty of other sony media more worthy

minidisc and UMD as examples

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Personally I don't see what's so terrible about the public pay toilet. Its seems a tad harsh to put it on the same list as Agent Orange. And the Smile Check for railway employees should be made compulsory. It's bad enough suffering the lousy, over-priced service in the UK without getting a dose of their employees surly attitude too.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

They put Betamax in and that is soooooo wrong:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1991915_1991909_1991897,00.html

The Betamax tape design and transport systems are still used professionally all over the world. Sony Betcam, Betcam SP, Digital Betacam and HDCam all use a version of it.

Absolutely. VHS v Beta was really a case of marketing versus technology. Even early home Beta machines were technically better than early VHS in just about every respect.

The lack of recording time they criticise Beta for didn't apply to the models sold in Europe.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What about LCD & plasma though? Oh, and don't forget the interweb...

I have no digibox, so in my part of the NW, that means no tv as signal is turned off.

I may watch the tv news on iplayer once every 3 days or so & newsnight once in 2 / 3 weeks, I no longer feel the need to see 'what I missed on tv', but it did feel a bit weird for the first month.

Possibly I found it easier to give up tv as i never had freeview, and was often on the web with the tv in the background. My mind feels clearer without it, I assume as I am not so distracted by it.

HOLA4416

Archived