House Price Crash Forum

House Prices - Advise Needed

HOLA441

Looking for some advise really, In sold my property in 2007 (May) and have been renting in SW London ever since, In have an urge to get back on the property market and buy again, but am worried that if I do, house prices fall and i'm on to a loser. Also worried that if I don't get back on the ladder and by 2011 (end of) prices start to go stupid again, I'll be left behind. Where I live there seems absolutely no sign of prices coming down, still ridiculous prices £400k for a iffy 2 bed flat for example. Any comments would be appreciated.

HOLA442

Looking for some advise really, In sold my property in 2007 (May) and have been renting in SW London ever since, In have an urge to get back on the property market and buy again, but am worried that if I do, house prices fall and i'm on to a loser. Also worried that if I don't get back on the ladder and by 2011 (end of) prices start to go stupid again, I'll be left behind. Where I live there seems absolutely no sign of prices coming down, still ridiculous prices £400k for a iffy 2 bed flat for example. Any comments would be appreciated.

Most people on here are of the opinion that house prices will come down over the next few years. There is certainly no historical precedent for them staying at this high a level in comparison to income, but this bubble has been bigger and last longer than any in the past.

My views are not as extreme as most on this site, but I would say that there should not be any real possibility of prices going up by the end of 2011. If the new government continue the previous policies of propping-up house prices at all costs, then there is a possibilty that nominal drops will be much smaller than we are hoping for, but that really is worst case as far as I can see.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I'm keeping my money in the bank for now, averaging about 4% interest.

How?

I'm struggling to get over 3% and that's by tieing it up for 12-18 months.

IME, over 4% is only available if you put it away for 5 years, which is far too long

tim

HOLA445

How?

IME, over 4% is only available if you put it away for 5 years, which is far too long

tim

+1

Pray tell how - or I may have to jump ship and buy a three-bed semi in Farnham for £750K, and blow the whole HPC myth around here!!

(Or not, of course....)

B

HOLA446

What you may be seeing in your local area is asking prices. Check Property Snake or Property Bee for price reductions in your local area and time on the market information.

I would certainly wait if I was you, as I think we are on the cusp of more financial market mayhem combined with an impending budget which in any event is likely to dampen the housing market further.

HOLA447

How?

tim

Well here's one that I have...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=131923&view=findpost&p=2336586

It's a one year @ 3.95% but can be got out in an emergency at a loss of 90 days interest.

Not available now unfortunately :(.