House Price Crash Forum

Double Decker Houses - Sale Of The Century!

Jason

HOLA441

Where I work in Bordon, Hants the MoD are selling off lots of houses (I think this is throughout the UK). I've been monitoring them and the second wave of homes are coming up for sale without the first lot being sold (the second wave was moved forward). Seems a little desperate to bring it forward.

http://www.annington.co.uk/search_home/sch...id=ALD04910BOR1

They are awful houses/flats (what ever you want to call them). And seriously overpriced - especially as the Mod are downsizing in the area.

It looks like the Government/MoD are becoming STRers!

£120k gets you this (yes, that is a house on top of another):

ALD04910BOR104.JPG

HOLA442
Where I work in Bordon, Hants the MoD are selling off lots of houses (I think this is throughout the UK).  I've been monitoring them and the second wave of homes are coming up for sale without the first lot being sold (the second wave was moved forward). Seems a little desperate to bring it forward.

http://www.annington.co.uk/search_home/sch...id=ALD04910BOR1

They are awful houses/flats (what ever you want to call them).  And seriously overpriced - especially as the Mod are downsizing in the area.

It looks like the Government/MoD are becoming STRers!

£120k gets you this (yes, that is a house on top of another):

ALD04910BOR104.JPG

Aha! Annington. We bought one of their houses in Devizes a few years ago. Hubby had to camp out for a week I remember. We got a nice three bedroom, garden front and back seperate garage, and they were nicer than the ones in your link. £83 grand if I remember correctly. I think they were ex RAF. Rented it out, that paid the mortgage for 14 months then sold for £108 grand. Now if I had left it on the market I would have got more. But I was thinking there would be a crash. Instead we had a war. We've stached the profit ever since.

Later Annington were selling houses in Tidworth. A lot smaller for £113 grand. This was only a year later. It took them 18 months to fill them. I'm not even sure if all of them have gone because the Annington little road sign is still up. They keep putting their prices up, and they used to send us literature. But we told them not to bother after a bit.

Basically they are following the market. ;)

HOLA443

So I'm looking at a million quids worth of property before me.

Either they've become intrinsically more tasteful since the 70's, our currency is bloody worthless, the average wage is now £40k+, or this is a right spectacle of ridiculous proportions.

How can you sustain an economy if 90% of the people who own a home couldn't now afford to buy it?

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA444
HOLA445
So I'm looking at a million quids worth of property before me.

Either they've become intrinsically more tasteful since the 70's, our currency is bloody worthless, the average wage is now £40k+, or this is a right spectacle of ridiculous proportions.

How can you sustain an economy if 90% of the people who own a home couldn't now afford to buy it?

I thought the average wage was around £26K. Have I missed something in the last year? :o

Those houses, flats are bloody awful. Annington has become shameful. The whole point of that company was to help military and ex military families get on the housing market. They have a deal with the MOD to keep their prices below the average.

The deal obviously went out the window. :angry:

HOLA446
HOLA447
I thought the average wage was around £26K. Have I missed something in the last year? :o

Those houses, flats are bloody awful. Annington has become shameful. The whole point of that company was to help military and ex military families get on the housing market. They have a deal with the MOD to keep their prices below the average.

The deal obviously went out the window.  :angry:

The military get a discount off the listed price.

Any MOD house will need a lot of work doing to it as the fixtures and fittings are usually older than the house itself (I speak from personal experience as we live in one- our last one was a 1980's house, complete witha 1960's kitchen!). The carpets are nylon and any work thats been done on it is usually of the 'tight budget bodge' variety.

HOLA448
The military get a discount off the listed price.

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!

what is 5% off current prices? To be fair, much of the annington stock is solid, they dont build them now like they used to...

Plus the gardens are huge. Biggest mistake the MOD made was selling the housing stock to Annington; if they had held on and managed the sales themselves, the MOD would have been self-funding! :rolleyes:

Typical foresight as usual by bean-counters in government.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Maisonettes!

The one I used to live in was council owned and the outside had been done up to give a better walkway and pointed roof (originals came with flat roof) - the scheme won an award for the remodelling.

Wasn't bad space really - my family visited and were surprised at how big the rooms were compared to the houses they'd been looking at/living in. :)

HOLA4414

The carpets might be awful but the squaddie mattresses are worse-

oh no, they're taking their wives with them!!!

Check out the Why Annington, Creating Environment pictures

It really is a spot the difference competition

www.annington.co.uk/before_after.asp?pgid=whyanning

Let me see, they've added a pointy porch and taken a picture when its sunny

Edited by thomasthetanker

HOLA4415
Speaking of Annington Homes I recently noticed their attempt to sell off some of the surplus married quarters in an Army camp in the middle of nowhere in N Yorkshire, I understand they are not exactly flying off the shelves. 

http://www.annington.co.uk/search_home/sch...pg=searchdetail

Joining the A1 north from the Thirsk junction is a nightmare. Trying to get up to 70mph from a standstill with a lorry up your backside is not fun. They need to build a slip road there.

HOLA4416
The carpets might be awful but the squaddie mattresses are worse-

oh no, they're taking their wives with them!!!

Check out the Why Annington, Creating Environment pictures

It really is a spot the difference competition

www.annington.co.uk/before_after.asp?pgid=whyanning

Let me see, they've added a pointy porch and taken a picture when its sunny

The photography is very good tho! Those two pictures tell a thousand words!

I'll give 10 out of 10 for the pic at the start of this thread! The leaves really do provide a much needed border!