Fresh Start

HOLA441
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest Noodle

I bought a new wheelbarrow the other day. A good one...£55 with the VAT....galvanised body... 4 cubic feet...pneumatic tyre...narrow, to go through doorways easy...an absolute belter of a barrow.

Made in France.

Why do we have to import quality wheelbarrows from France?

How much?

I bought a twin wheel, solid tyre, 6 cubic feet tipping body wheel barrow for less than 30 quid. Stick an engine on it and you're not far off a Volvo A30!

Why? Because they don't make in Blighty, probably.

HOLA443

How much?

I bought a twin wheel, solid tyre, 6 cubic feet tipping body wheel barrow for less than 30 quid. Stick an engine on it and you're not far off a Volvo A30!

Why? Because they don't make in Blighty, probably.

Mine's the 108G and I got a good price.

The question really was why don't we make them in the UK.

Can't see the cost benefits of French manufacturing and materials price is fixed.

Seems like an unusual thing to have to import especially from France.

But I suppose we used to make cars but now we buy those from France too.

HOLA444
Guest Noodle

Mine's the 108G and I got a good price.

The question really was why don't we make them in the UK.

Can't see the cost benefits of French manufacturing and materials price is fixed.

Seems like an unusual thing to have to import especially from France.

But I suppose we used to make cars but now we buy those from France too.

Well, mine's orange. A sort of tangerine. Which I find quite fetching, even on a wheel barrow.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Noodle

Can't do that.

My mother used to beat me with yellow sticks.

Or feed me bananas.

I can't remember which.

I have banana trees.

Paint it starlight silver. Like an Astra van with fancy wheels.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

You have great artistic vision Mr P.

I think you missed your calling.

Banana trees (((shudder)))

I have missed my calling. I always wanted to play maracas in a mariachi band.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

Bez from the Happy Mondays lives near here.

He may give you lessons.

It's never too late to realise your dreams.

Go for it!

Is he Mexican. Got to be authentic.

I like tacos . . . and burritos.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Noodle

I think noodle has talent but just hasn't exploited it......many think they have it, make out they have it, there are many that haven't got a clue. ;)

I have talent. In mud. Very good, world class in fact at cleaning mud.

Seriously. How warped is that? :huh:

HOLA4416

If people are serious about a fresh start they should consider learning how to make and market websites..Its the perfect modern day business...

- portable, you can take your business anywhere

- flexible hours, work from home

- you're own boss, no one to answer to, no commuting

- make ongoing income as well as building up something that has value (rather than working for someone else and only getting paid for your time)

- wide range of industries and interests to pick from

- low overheads

...and one of the best things is the low cost of starting up and you don't need a degree, qualification etc. It does help to be a little technical minded but there are a billion people across the globe who can do the donkey work for you for next to nothing.

I really don't understand why more people don't consider this, the ultimate lifestyle job that can make much more money than a regular job.

Five years since I was made redundant and never looked back, on top of having the priviledge of visiting some wonderful places around the globe.

Off to Bali for four weeks over Easter and wintering in Asia / Australia while the wage slaves fight their way to work in the snow....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

If people are serious about a fresh start they should consider learning how to make and market websites..Its the perfect modern day business...

- portable, you can take your business anywhere

- flexible hours, work from home

- you're own boss, no one to answer to, no commuting

- make ongoing income as well as building up something that has value (rather than working for someone else and only getting paid for your time)

- wide range of industries and interests to pick from

- low overheads

...and one of the best things is the low cost of starting up and you don't need a degree, qualification etc. It does help to be a little technical minded but there are a billion people across the globe who can do the donkey work for you for next to nothing.

I really don't understand why more people don't consider this, the ultimate lifestyle job that can make much more money than a regular job.

Five years since I was made redundant and never looked back, on top of having the priviledge of visiting some wonderful places around the globe.

Off to Bali for four weeks over Easter and wintering in Asia / Australia while the wage slaves fight their way to work in the snow....

You've done very well I think. You do have a life, although I needed somewhere to settle.

Went dancing round the village square tonight with about 30 old women with some old guy beating a drum. It was very National Geographic. then carried my neighbour home, who was too drunk to walk, while at the same time demanding I screw his missus. Quite bizarre, even for me.

HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

Mud is a dirty word, there are whiter ways to a clean fresh start. ;)

No, I shall always be in muck, like pig in shit I am when cleaning mud.

HOLA4420

But I am settled? I just like long holidays and hate spending the whole winter in the UK...

The whole point is that online businesses are not only good for those who want to move around and chase the summer, they are excellent for people stuck at home with the kids, or for people who have never left their home town and have no intention of either.

Being able to move with your business is just a bonus for those people like me who love travel.

But online businesses can be for everyone, providing they have a little bit of the gray stuff between their ears.

HOLA4421
Guest Noodle

But I am settled? I just like long holidays and hate spending the whole winter in the UK...

The whole point is that online businesses are not only good for those who want to move around and chase the summer, they are excellent for people stuck at home with the kids, or for people who have never left their home town and have no intention of either.

Being able to move with your business is just a bonus for those people like me who love travel.

But online businesses can be for everyone, providing they have a little bit of the gray stuff between their ears.

You seem to be edge a lot, bit prickly. I said, I had to settle. Guess I'm getting old before my time, but I do like a lawn to mow.

HOLA4422

Problem with construction is that it's boom-bust, some of the guys you'll work with are totally messed up, and there's lots of illegals working under the table which keeps wages down.

I used to be a glazier. I left construction in the mid-90's to become a computer programmer which at the time seemed like the ticket to easy riches. Ten years later I'm still in IT. It's been hard work with no easy riches, but at $110k Canadian, I still make almost 3x what I made as a construction worker. With all the IT jobs going to Asia, we'll see how long that lasts, though I figure I'll still be doing better than many for the foreseeable future.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably still choose IT.

I'd also consider becoming an auto mechanic or a elevator technician.

Neither job can be easily outsourced, both are semi-skilled and require certifications which helps keep out some of the riff-raff, and both have ongoing maintenance work to keep you employed regardless of the economy.

Another plus for auto mechanics: If you're honest and prepared to live modest for a few years while you build up your reputation, I think you can do really well. Most people value an honest mechanic highly. An added bonus if you're a single guy: it's a great way to meet lots of single gals from all walks of life. While working briefly as a bicycle mechanic years ago, I ended up dating a few of my clients. I would think the same opportunities exist for auto mechanics.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

I am not prickly at all, I am offering some very good advice that might be more useful to a broad range of people.

I understood you when you said 'I had to settle myself' , that's why I replied saying that online businesses are for anyone, whether you want to settle or not!

I stand by my observation. You appear to be very stressed.

HOLA4425