House Price Crash Forum

Ryanair Move To Spain And Cut 2,500 Jobs At Stansted Due To Gov Tax!

HOLA441
The 40% winter cut at Stansted just reflects that BAA chose to hike its charges whilst Airports like Schipol and all the Spanish ones have cut theirs.

PS

Flights are ALWAYS cut during winter. What is the %age cut compared to last winter??

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Indeed. But even Ryanair cannot survive and make a profit by selling all their seats at this price. Somewhere in the business model they have to get others to pay well above this headline grabbing fare. Check their website , plug in a few times and dates of when normal people fly, (ie. not 6AM on a Tuesday morning in November) and see what their top line fare is. If I have a choice between RA and a regular carrier (BA, Lufthansa, etc) , charging me £50 more, then the latter will win every time. Ryanair's public utterances, their treatment of customers at check-in, boarding etc , is the reason I and many others avoid them like the plague (or swine flu if you want to be modern ;) )

Nicely done! ;)

I've only flown easyjet myself, though didn't find them bad at all. Mind that was back in 2002, not sure what they are like nowadays.

HOLA443
I just bought 2 return Ryanair flights for £4 all in to Ireland including all taxes and charges and check in fees - you just need to know how to work it (only hand luggage and a visa electron card does the trick) :lol: Wouldn't pay any more than £5 to fly with them!

Hopefully for you, you don't get any unexpected charge when you reach the airport.

I used to think Ryanair were quite good and flew a number times with them, for great value, but they have now made the fares so complex / opaque, that its hard to have any idea what is going on or what the final price will be.

Also although every Ryanair flight I've been on was on time, you do hear horror stories that if it isn't, you can get badly stranded. Yeah travel insurance will cover the cost but it doesn't help you get home sooner.

More of an issue is, it seems to me just a combination of new planes, good pilots and maintenance guys and good luck that has stopped a crash, because the atmosphere in the aircraft is totally chaotic nowadays. It didn't used to be such a scrum getting on. I don't know whats changed but the atmosphere now leads to hostility between passengers. Add to that a cabin crew who are mostly intent on selling stuff, and a general din of announcements, and, if there was a crisis, it doesn't seem like "leaving the plane in an orderly fashion" is going to be very easy. Doesn't feel safe to me. You need calm in an aircraft, and people to cooperate in an emergency. And one does wonder about the tiredness of pilots, potential to miss a safety check due to pressured tight turnaround etc.... While their safety record is 100% so far, MOL's atittude is kind of... unnerving ....

HOLA444
Hopefully for you, you don't get any unexpected charge when you reach the airport.

I used to think Ryanair were quite good and flew a number times with them, for great value, but they have now made the fares so complex / opaque, that its hard to have any idea what is going on or what the final price will be.

Also although every Ryanair flight I've been on was on time, you do hear horror stories that if it isn't, you can get badly stranded. Yeah travel insurance will cover the cost but it doesn't help you get home sooner.

More of an issue is, it seems to me just a combination of new planes, good pilots and maintenance guys and good luck that has stopped a crash, because the atmosphere in the aircraft is totally chaotic nowadays. It didn't used to be such a scrum getting on. I don't know whats changed but the atmosphere now leads to hostility between passengers. Add to that a cabin crew who are mostly intent on selling stuff, and a general din of announcements, and, if there was a crisis, it doesn't seem like "leaving the plane in an orderly fashion" is going to be very easy. Doesn't feel safe to me. You need calm in an aircraft, and people to cooperate in an emergency. And one does wonder about the tiredness of pilots, potential to miss a safety check due to pressured tight turnaround etc.... While their safety record is 100% so far, MOL's atittude is kind of... unnerving ....

Interesting observation about the death of respect in modern day British people - chavs (and posh people too no doubt judging by the way a blue rinse granny shoved in front of us at the cafe till in a National Trust country house today) cannot queue in an orderly fashion as they once used to "when I were a lad", or during the Blitz at soup kitchens etc.

I think this is why cinemas which flirted with unallocated seating switched back to numbered tickets aftera few years - the rush to good seats is undignified.

My guess is that airlines like Ryanair will switch to allocating seats again when this whole grisly experiment in cattle-flights starts to fail soon

HOLA445

Argetnimo - easyJet do Nice to EDI for about £85 one way at the end of August. And no stupid, time wasting, stopover in Thiefrow to worry about and waste time doing.

Just a thought. London Airways has a pish poor European network these days compared to the much bigger ones operated by Ryanair or easyJet. Remind me again which bases BA fly out of in the UK other than Thiefrow and Gatwick?

PS