Bristol.

Sofa Spud

HOLA441
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I know of a small development of apartments in north Bristol where the units haven't been selling. Admittedly they seemed hugely over-priced originally but they've now been reduced by over 10%.

Very large new Kinghams EA opened (!) in Poole High Street last Sat. Passed by twice yesterday. Stone empty both times.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA443
I know of a small development of apartments in north Bristol where the units haven't been selling. Admittedly they seemed hugely over-priced originally but they've now been reduced by over 10%.

Which development is that?

HOLA444

Huge drop South of Bristol...

courtesy of Property Bee ;)

£230,000

Hillside cottage has been modernised by its present owners and offers character accommodation, double glazing and oil fired central heating. It now includes a fully fitted luxury kitchen with fitted appliances, new bathroom and shower, dining room and lounge with wood burner and a large conservat...

More details, photographs, full brochure, EPCs and map available Save property Contact the agent

Marketed by Chew Valley Estates, Bristol.

Telephone 0845 337 2062. (BT 4p/min)

Chew Valley Estates, Bristol logo

History

date event

9th Apr 2008

* Price changed: from '£330,000' to '£230,000'

19th Feb 2008

* Initial entry found.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA445
Huge drop South of Bristol...

courtesy of Property Bee ;)

£230,000

Hillside cottage has been modernised by its present owners and offers character accommodation, double glazing and oil fired central heating. It now includes a fully fitted luxury kitchen with fitted appliances, new bathroom and shower, dining room and lounge with wood burner and a large conservat...

More details, photographs, full brochure, EPCs and map available Save property Contact the agent

Marketed by Chew Valley Estates, Bristol.

Telephone 0845 337 2062. (BT 4p/min)

Chew Valley Estates, Bristol logo

History

date event

9th Apr 2008

* Price changed: from '£330,000' to '£230,000'

19th Feb 2008

* Initial entry found.

Still on the market, right on the main road, nowonder it has not sold

• 1 month later...
HOLA446

I think you're referring to here: http://www.bryant.co.uk/SouthWest/TheSpinneyHorthamVillage and also being marketed by Barratts. We took a drive around the site yesterday - there looked to be no more than 10 properties occupied, with at least another dozen with 'Sold' signs outside them. Personally I think it's a soulless development - nothing but houses there. The nearest shop is the 24hr garage on the A38 about a mile away :huh:

HOLA447
  • 1 month later...
HOLA448

Until this week I was not that convnced that there had been signs of any substantial movement in or near S.Brist asking prices at the ftb end.

Now however I have noticed some welcome signs of significant reductions in the area at least at the lower end of the market.

I believe it was in 2000 that i saw a 2 bed flat selling in ST. Annes for 76000. I believe these went up to 125000. Now I know of one of these 2 bedders on for 94000 asking, presumably it will go for 80something if it goes at all. Therefore it is not inconcievable that the lower end of the market will eventually unwind down to 2000 prices or below given that it is still early days.

Also in that area I have noticed a 2 bed semi on for 104000.

Hartcliffe and Knowle west :ph34r: asking prices have only been modestly trimed if at all, still no sign of a "crash" really in that area as far as I can see.

Southville and Bedminster maybe 10 % down from the insane peak as far as i can see. Those areas could remain relatively resiliant. Tell me im wrong and make me very happy.

You have to expect that as builders loose their jobs there is going to be a lot of casualties in some parts of south Bristol.

HOLA449

Bedminster, Knowle, Totterdown, Windmill Hill - all areas where prices have shot up in the last 10 years. Strong working class areas, I expect there will be loads of people who took out loans against their properties, I'd imagine there will be quite a few reposessions in this area as time goes on. Intrinsically these areas are full of traditional working class two-up two-down's with small gardens. They are nothing special and when the shit hits the fan people will realise this.

Plus the area is awash with new build flats - these are going to nose-dive big time.

HOLA4410
"Plus the area is awash with new build flats - these are going to nose-dive big time."

The uncompleted ones are going to be a laugh, the robinson building, why dont they just give up.

The thing in Hartcliffe by the former Imperial fags site, nice pic of the show flat but am I right in thinking they want 100k for a studio flat. :lol:

Who will be the first to dump a stolen motor in the water feature ?:ph34r:

HOLA4411
The uncompleted ones are going to be a laugh, the robinson building, why dont they just give up.

The thing in Hartcliffe by the former Imperial fags site, nice pic of the show flat but am I right in thinking they want 100k for a studio flat. :lol:

Who will be the first to dump a stolen motor in the water feature ?:ph34r:

Yes, that place in Hartcliffe makes me laugh.

Do you know those three flats at the bottom of West Street opposite the Albert? The bottom bits are still not finished after about four years. Looks terrible but the flats above seemed to have sold.

That Skypark thing is a total joke as well. £140k for a large box. I am seeing more and more of these coming on the market now. Luxury flats my ****.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4412

Update on S. Bristol.

North St. Southville mortgage centre now closed down.

Edwards estate agents now closed down.

3 Bed House in Withywood failed to sell in Maggs Allen auction October28th at 80k guide. Now re-entered for a guide of 65k. things generally not making the guide price now either.

PS Its only just begun...... :ph34r:

HOLA4413
Update on S. Bristol.

3 Bed House in Withywood failed to sell in Maggs Allen auction October28th at 80k guide. Now re-entered for a guide of 65k. things generally not making the guide price now either.

My ex has just put her house on the market, so I'll get a first hand account of how the market is going. Not a very good time to sell but you never know. Chessels area.

From my seearches on Rightmove it seems the flats in S. Bristol are dropping quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4414
Update on S. Bristol.

Correction... the closed mortgage centre is the one that was nearest C. J. Holes near the deli and health shops. Not Southville mortgage centre which is still open.

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4415
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
What about the part of Knowle that's near Totterdown? Seems ok when driving through?

It's not bad, some nice houses around there, along the Wells road and north of Redcatch road.ould try to be as far as possible away from te centre of Knowle as you can, but I guess most inner city areas are much of a muchness.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4420

Bristol is still too expensive.

Totterdown was South Bristol's poorest quality housing at one time (the name is quite befitting) but a 2 bed is still on the market for 170k. It must be proximity to the station. Likewise Windmill Hill, Victoria Park and Bedminster. Houses converted in potentially noisy flats are around 120k. Even with the independent floor structure preferred in B.Regs there are noise issues with such conversions.

I did see one 1 bed basement flat for 55k riddled with damp but that went fast.

Went to look at another house for 100,000 still with round pin sockets etc, requiring I would guess 40k of work. Rafter feet likely to be rotten too because of the long term valley gutter failure, needed a bathroom, new ceilings everything. An untouched gem, but that went for a touch under the asking price. I suspect it will return to market however, as a perfectly habitable one was on for 106k with an owner open to offers and that needed no where near the work i.e. 10k maybe.

Going to sit on my deposit for longer.

Got the yarn from a bedminster EA about being certain prices were about to rise. I didn't bother to argue, but he forgot about the 2m unemployed, massive student debts and 140pc historic high.

HOLA4421
Bristol is still too expensive.

Totterdown was South Bristol's poorest quality housing at one time (the name is quite befitting) but a 2 bed is still on the market for 170k. It must be proximity to the station. Likewise Windmill Hill, Victoria Park and Bedminster. Houses converted in potentially noisy flats are around 120k. Even with the independent floor structure preferred in B.Regs there are noise issues with such conversions.

Yeah, hugely overpriced. There are however loads of properties in the Bedminster/Windmill Hill/Totterdown area - hardly a shortage of supply, given all the new flats they have built as well. Prices will crash sooner or later, they are not exactly, as you say, good properties.

HOLA4422

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a surveyor originally from Winchester but currently living in Bristol (in one of those 'trendy' Airpoint flats). Thankfully I'm only renting, having sold my previous house a little over a year ago when things started to look shakey.

Does anyone know anything about the new flats that have shot up behind Hotwells Rd (Google link)? They look pretty tidy - like a contemporary take on the brightly coloured terraces you get around Bristol.

I suspect they'll be stupidly overpriced (the Google map doesn't really show it but they're fairly high above Hotwells Road so have a fantastic view of the harbour).

Edited by naturals

HOLA4423
Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a surveyor originally from Winchester but currently living in Bristol (in one of those 'trendy' Airpoint flats). Thankfully I'm only renting, having sold my previous house a little over a year ago when things started to look shakey.

Does anyone know anything about the new flats that have shot up behind Hotwells Rd (Google link)? They look pretty tidy - like a contemporary take on the brightly coloured terraces you get around Bristol.

I suspect they'll be stupidly overpriced (the Google map doesn't really show it but they're fairly high above Hotwells Road so have a fantastic view of the harbour).

Hi naturals..all I can tell you is that they will be expensive. I would not want to live adjacent to such a busy road, otherwise thats a good location as its near the waterfront and citycentre...consider nearby Southville.

HOLA4424
Hi naturals..all I can tell you is that they will be expensive. I would not want to live adjacent to such a busy road, otherwise thats a good location as its near the waterfront and citycentre...consider nearby Southville.

They actually look a fair way back from the road (50-100m at a guess) - the buildings on Hotwells Road probably stop you even seeing the road. I doubt they'll be cheap but it looks like a small private development and with 10-15 coming onto the market at the same time there could be a cheap deal going if they need cash coming in.

Southville is also on the list. I'm in Bedminster at the minute so it is right on my doorstep.

HOLA4425

They'll call it 'lower Clifton' and add £100,000 to the price.

Nice spot but they will be expensive.