House Price Crash Forum

House Prices Do Not Matter

HOLA441

A good read, basically house price surveys don't matter, obviously the real price is what someone is prepared to pay, and all these surveys are from vested interests with a PR angle to push.

http://www.iii.co.uk/markets/?type=editorial&id=33876

Been lurking here for a while, I'm currently working in Vancouver, I may return at the end of the year if life becomes more affordable in London. Although it's all swings & roundabouts; there's big property inflation going on in Vancouver at the moment.

The big difference is that whilst I wouldn't pay the prices over here to buy a property, is that renters aren't obliged to shoulder as many costs as in England. Rental deposits are only for half a month (compared to 1 month or, even 6 weeks seemed to be coming into vogue in the UK). Also renters don't directly pay the property tax (council tax in the UK) which adds on a big chunk to a renter's annual costs in the UK.

Edited by jefefelipe

HOLA442
http://www.iii.co.uk/markets/?type=editorial&id=33876

Been lurking here for a while,  I'm currently sitting this all out in Vancouver, I may return at the end of the year if life becomes more affordable in London.  Although it's all swings & roundabouts; there's big property inflation going on in Vancouver at the moment.

The big difference is that whilst I wouldn't pay the prices over here to buy a property, is that renters aren't obliged to shoulder as many costs as in England.  Rental deposits are only for half a month (compared to 1 monthor, even 6 weeks seemed to be coming into vogue in the UK).  Also renters don't directly pay the property tax (council tax in the UK) which adds on a big chunk to a renter's annual costs in the UK.

It's always good to get an international perspective to remind us that the UK is still a great market for landlords compared to other countries!

Thanks

HOLA443
It's always good to get an international perspective to remind us that the UK is still a great market for landlords compared to other countries!

Thanks

I did calculate it prior to moving here; although it is difficult to make comparisons.

After a cost of living adjustment to my UK salary (internal company transfer); a direct comparison can be made by translating my old UK salary directly into Canadian $, & then comparing it to my actual adjusted CA salary = an approx 30% reduction.

But even after that reduction, if I make a comparison on my gross salaries versus my cost of renting (I can't remember what they are net of tax, but I don't think there is a significant tax differential between the 2 countries, could be slightly higher in BC, Canada) :

I paid about 28% of my gross montly UK salary on rent, c.tax & water for a 1 bedroom + garage in Ealing 10/15 mins walk from the tube.

In Vancouver I pay approx 23% of my gross monthly CA salary on rent, (no c.tax or water charges) for a 1 bedroom + u/ground parking in the city centre

Roughly a 5% reduction in cost of renting without making it too complicated

Most rentals here are unfurnished, you'd pay a premium for a furnished rental; whereas in the UK you can struggle to find a rental that doesn't have nasty old (mis/matching?) furniture in it, that depending on your landlord, is apparently impervious to the effects of wear & tear.

I'll stop now, as I'm turning my initial post into a mix of renting, emigration & overseas market topics.

Edited by jefefelipe

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Surely the Vancouver winter heating bills will damage any gains you may make in renting cheaply.

Compared to where? Average temperatures in Vancouver aren't much different than London in the winter. They both average 4 degrees celsius in February. For January it's 3 degrees in Vancouver to London's 4 degrees.

Source: http://www.eurometeo.com/english/climate/c...couver%20canada

HOLA447
Compared to where?  Average temperatures in Vancouver aren't much different than London in the winter. They both average 4 degrees celsius in February. For January it's 3 degrees in Vancouver to London's 4 degrees.

Source: http://www.eurometeo.com/english/climate/c...couver%20canada

GW re. property prices in Vancouver, it seems that I'd need the same mad income multiples for a mortgage, here as I would back in the UK.

lir. yes as SB says Vancouver city temp. is more/less same as London (everywhere else in Canada has the extreme winter cold) + 1 bedroom flats/apartments don't require much heating in either city.

I wouldn't say I'm making much in the way of financial gains by being here instead of London. I was really trying to make a point re. the costs of renting in London are a high % of salary earned compared to many other locations.

Although it had nothing to do with the original article link I posted...but... to bring it back around...they do love a housing activity report just as much here in BC, preferably written by a realtor or financial advisor.

Edited by jefefelipe