House Price Crash Forum

Is A Gallon Of Gas Worth $7500?

nixy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

From what I skipped through, too much like Fahrenheit 451, factoids dressed as knowledge.

"They stuff you with so much useless information, you feel full."*

I didn't learn anything but felt a lot celeverer

This terrible trend to provide data in a video in a flash container,I prefer sources

and text and even graphs that can be reproduced. Audio is a big disadvantage

for those in an office environment.

*http://www.laweekly.com/2007-05-31/news/ray-bradbury-fahrenheit-451-misinterpreted/

Edited by maxwell

HOLA444
From what I skipped through, too much like Fahrenheit 451, factoids dressed as knowledge.....Audio is a big disadvantage

for those in an office environment.

Using Princeton's definition of a factoid as something resembling a fact; unverified (often invented) information that is given credibility because it appeared in print then rather a harsh put down of what seems a thorough, clear summary of peak oil.

Maybe you would get more from the whole thing as opposed to skipping through it without sound :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446
Using Princeton's definition of a factoid as something resembling a fact; unverified (often invented) information that is given credibility because it appeared in print then rather a harsh put down of what seems a thorough, clear summary of peak oil.

Maybe you would get more from the whole thing as opposed to skipping through it without sound :rolleyes:

I watched through and got a bit hooked, so watched another 4-5 chapters. Didn't really learn anything about the solution

but I can see he is trying to explain the basics, the lack of sources and some slightly odd graphs (such as the

declining production graph of 5% per year 2 Million as the starting point and it ends up a bit wrong) and quotes

that may by urban myths.

The problem I still have is after being jammed full of information, by not working through it or researching I really

didn't learn anything, except a belief in oil being very valuable. It felt the same as being on a inside track lecture

I imagine, uncomfortable because I had to trust everything implicitly yet could see nothing really wrong with it.

Edit: hvae have.

Edited by maxwell

HOLA447
http://www.chrismartenson.com/peak_oil

at 11min 38 sec

....and what will happen when we run out of slaves?

Utter crap.

I take it by this logic then, a gallon of rocket fuel is worth infinity as all the manual resources in the world couldn't do the same job? What about a CPU? If you had to have people manually switch data using pieces of paper than an average CPU chip is worth hundreds of billions of pounds.

HOLA448
Utter crap.

I take it by this logic then, a gallon of rocket fuel is worth infinity as all the manual resources in the world couldn't do the same job? What about a CPU? If you had to have people manually switch data using pieces of paper than an average CPU chip is worth hundreds of billions of pounds.

You misunderstand the logic.

This is how a profit is made. The profit currently being made is only so large because of oil. It allows the industrial economy to do things that it otherwise couldn't. And the CPU IS worth hundreds of billions of bounds. Look at the size of the global IT industry.

When oil runs out, unless we've found an alternative capable of producing the equivalent vast amounts of energy then we'll be back to harvesting our only free energy source - the sun. Meaning we'll be going right back to a primarily agrarian economy.