http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8521587.stm

for those who may be unaware of precisely what this means

put simply

were fecked!

well thats just my opinion

thoughts PP

increased dose of fiscal laxative?

rock on!

£ fell aganst the $ today on this news - but it has been relatively stable against the euro

have the tories got the bottle to swing the axe on publc spending - the imf may force their hand

in the merry go round of currencies racing to the bottom, it's the euros turn in the spot-light

i think that the euro may end up being the safest paper currency, but only if the piigs go to the slaughter house!

this chart tells a story.......

0217_clip_image002.jpg

on another note, so many people i know are in debt up to their eyeballs, yet the lessons are not learned, when will the never never end?!

HOLA443

£ fell aganst the $ today on this news - but it has been relatively stable against the euro

have the tories got the bottle to swing the axe on publc spending - the imf may force their hand

in the merry go round of currencies racing to the bottom, it's the euros turn in the spot-light

i think that the euro may end up being the safest paper currency, but only if the piigs go to the slaughter house!

this chart tells a story.......

0217_clip_image002.jpg

on another note, so many people i know are in debt up to their eyeballs, yet the lessons are not learned, when will the never never end?!

£ only going one way

and it aint up

rock on!

HOLA444

£ only going one way

and it aint up

rock on!

maybe in the short term, but the vast majority of the damage has been done with the fall from $2+ to -$1.40. Once the merry go round of currency weakness turns from the euro back to the $, then the £ should strengthen again, but nowhere near to $2. Meanwhile the yuan will become stronger with talk already of re-valuation.

The $index has a major hurdle at .84 ish

usdgbp190210.gif

but hey i don't trade currencies, not paper ones anyway ;)

HOLA445

please excuse some thread up-keeping on my behalf:

Fed’s Bernanke to Assure Congress Higher Rates Not Imminent

New York Fed President William Dudley indicated yesterday that policy makers need to focus now on maintaining growth rather than fighting inflation, citing a smaller-than-forecast increase in the consumer-price index for January reported by the Labor Department. Another measure of prices, which excludes energy and food, dropped for the first time since 1982.

Global Crisis Leads I.M.F. Experts to Rethink Long-Held Ideas

One paper has received particular attention for suggesting that central banks should set their target inflation rate much higher — at 4 percent, rather than the 2 percent that is the most widely held standard. As aggregate demand fell across the world in 2008, central banks, including the Federal Reserve, lowered short-term interest rates to nearly zero, where they have largely remained.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Can we borrow Jean-Claude Trichet please?!. The best of it is IF we get an inflation problem its going to kill the housing market so go ahead Mervyn make my day and print away - I mean what did £200bn get us last time - a quarter of 0.1% growth - well done!!

ah them canny wee scots

http://www.independent.ie/business/european/greece-now-uk-next-as-scots-ready-for-pound-plunge-2084526.html

rock on!

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/albert-edwards-predicts-deflation-followed-double-digit-inflation-governments-opt-default-an

sits well with my take on where we are heading all through this crisis. i seriously believe this scenario is most likely , that we fight deflationary forces for a few years (say till 2014/15 perhaps) , then it becomes apparent that the debt mountains are unrepayable through tax rises and spending cuts , printing money is increasingly used to monetize debts and inflation rockets 2015+ with stockmarkets rocketing along with real assets / commodities etc , property will eventually follow on last. many will be nominally richer but most so much poorer in real terms.

the fiat money not backed by gold experiment will of been a complete failure and probably the end result will be a new world currency linked to gold.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100406/bs_nm/us_usa_fed_minutes

WASHINGTON, April 6 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve could keep interest rates ultra-low for even longer than investors anticipate if the outlook worsens or inflation drops, minutes from the central bank's last meeting suggested.

The minutes released on Tuesday showed lingering concern about the U.S. economy's prospects, with policymakers indicating they were in no hurry to raise interest rates.

Officials believed their promise to keep rates low for "an extended period" would not unduly constrain the central bank if it felt the need to tighten monetary conditions.

"The duration of the extended period prior to policy firming might last for quite some time and could even increase if the economic outlook worsened appreciably or if trend inflation appeared to be declining further," the minutes said.

"Such forward guidance would not limit the (policy-setting) committee's ability to commence monetary policy tightening promptly," they said.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

hmm, treat soros opinon with caution, i guess his quietly buying the pound here

not long ago soros said gold was the ultimate bubble and lo and behold a few weeks later guess what he was buying

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/7259161/George-Soros-buys-gold-despite-dubbing-it-ultimate-bubble.html

HOLA4417

cpi - 3.4%

rpi - 4.4%

CPI Feb10 = 112.9

CPI Mar10 = 113.5

RPI Feb10 = 219.2

RPI Mar10 = 220.7

CPI has increased by 0.53% in a month and RPI by 0.68%

These if annualised would be annual increases of 6.5% and 8.5% respectively.

QE is indirectly funding the budget deficit using printed money. The advantage for the government is that they can have their cake and eat it - they can keep taxes the same, keep the jobs, keep people on benefits, keep the banks bailed out, keep house prices high. And most importantly not lose too many votes.

Indeed, only a forced buyer would hoover gilts up at current prices. Cue Bank of England and legally obligated Pension Funds.

i have been expecting this upward traend. now should it continue going forward i await how the gilt market / govt / BoE react. Are they really going to try and inflate away the debt and will they get away with it ??

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

HOLA4418

cpi - 3.4%

rpi - 4.4%

CPI Feb10 = 112.9

CPI Mar10 = 113.5

RPI Feb10 = 219.2

RPI Mar10 = 220.7

CPI has increased by 0.53% in a month and RPI by 0.68%

These if annualised would be annual increases of 6.5% and 8.5% respectively.

QE is indirectly funding the budget deficit using printed money. The advantage for the government is that they can have their cake and eat it - they can keep taxes the same, keep the jobs, keep people on benefits, keep the banks bailed out, keep house prices high. And most importantly not lose too many votes.

Indeed, only a forced buyer would hoover gilts up at current prices. Cue Bank of England and legally obligated Pension Funds.

i have been expecting this upward traend. now should it continue going forward i await how the gilt market / govt / BoE react. Are they really going to try and inflate away the debt and will they get away with it ??

Yes and No imho

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

the bears are back in town!

if the markets are left to their own devices, deflation will out; just watch out for them pesky politicians and their money printing central bank friends!

re. gold - i am neutral at the mo, we are very much at a pivot point imo as the pattern is starting to look very much like mid-2008

have you checked this guys work, video inc. - http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/financial_markets_analysis_videos_5.htm#vid2

HOLA4423

the bears are back in town!

if the markets are left to their own devices, deflation will out; just watch out for them pesky politicians and their money printing central bank friends!

re. gold - i am neutral at the mo, we are very much at a pivot point imo as the pattern is starting to look very much like mid-2008

have you checked this guys work, video inc. - http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/financial_markets_analysis_videos_5.htm#vid2

i wouldnt be betting on the markets being left to their own devices!

more laxative merv!

rock on!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

bad bad speculators

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/euro-leaders-agree-calming-measures-2170636.html

just what are they proposing?

currency controls?

rock on!

the irish times take on it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0508/1224269950342.html

so where does the ecb magic this 600 bill fom

yet more debt for the european serf ?

or printy printy?

rock on!