House Price Crash Forum

Carpet Sales

Shunnyonions

HOLA441

Talking to a friend of mine who runs a carpet shop in South Wales - he recently attended a regional managers meeting where all shops have reported an average 40% YOY drop in sales volumes from May 07 to now.

No one is buying new houses, and hence no associated things like carpets. Owners staying put are having to cope with rising costs in necessities, and luxuries like new carpets are not being considered.

Lots of hand-ringing etc etc - despondency, and the dreaded "economies of scale" solution was mentioned.

All pretty depressing stuff.

HOLA442
Talking to a friend of mine who runs a carpet shop in South Wales - he recently attended a regional managers meeting where all shops have reported an average 40% YOY drop in sales volumes from May 07 to now.

No one is buying new houses, and hence no associated things like carpets. Owners staying put are having to cope with rising costs in necessities, and luxuries like new carpets are not being considered.

Lots of hand-ringing etc etc - despondency, and the dreaded "economies of scale" solution was mentioned.

..people might be putting down the (equally depressning) ubiquitous, lovely LAMINATE flooring (the cheap stuff is especially horrible)

HOLA443

It'll get worse.

However tatty it may be, you can always make a carpet last another year - and then another.

The same goes for sofas etc.

The only growth market in furnishings is for people having extensions and loft conversions built. As people resign themselves to staying put for a few years home improvements like this are and will be a boom area.

That basically means kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms.

None of which these days has carpets!

HOLA444

I bought one of those 'Rug Doctor' machines, as the wool carpets in the home were getting dirty.

Okay, it's expensive, but bloody hell, it brings them up like new. Awesome machine.

Seriously, if you buy a quality carpet, it can last literally for decades if you keep it clean as the dirt doesn't get a chance to erode the fibres through being walked on.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yet fitting them has clearly been profitable - I saw a one-name-on-the-side (i.e. self-employed) carpet fitter's trailer being pulled along the M4 this morning. Nothing unusual in that, except it wasn't being pulled by a Ford Transit but by a brand new Honda Legend (list price between £36k and £40k)

HOLA447
It'll get worse.

However tatty it may be, you can always make a carpet last another year - and then another.

I've got an 80% wool,20% nylon carpet in my living room which dates back to 1978. It's not showing much sign of wear yet. We bought a bedroom carpet a few weeks ago which should last practically forever ...it's a shoes/slippers off zone.

I guess the fact that so many people are renting and are on short-term contracts must really damage the carpet and furniture business too? Surely those people make do a few old rugs and minimal furniture to reduce moving costs?