House Price Crash Forum

New Build Flats West Yorkshire

freshapproach

HOLA441

"EnVISION living in stylish, sophisticated apartments...right for modern living. Right for you.

Designed and built to excite, The Vision will be a vibrant environment that will be the focal point of residential life in Bingley as the town centre undergoes an epic journey of reinvigoration and urban renaissance."

Their words not mine.

Be quick only 99 out of 100 remain for sale, I think the site is well on it's way to being finished.

http://portford.co.uk/developments/availability/6

HOLA442
"EnVISION living in stylish, sophisticated apartments...right for modern living. Right for you.

Designed and built to excite, The Vision will be a vibrant environment that will be the focal point of residential life in Bingley as the town centre undergoes an epic journey of reinvigoration and urban renaissance."

Their words not mine.

Be quick only 99 out of 100 remain for sale, I think the site is well on it's way to being finished.

"will be the focal point of residential life in Bingley" - yes it will. Local residents will gather to practice some stone throwing, graffiti, peeing, fornication and drug use in the ample corridors. I get so angry being told that "apartment living" is so great. It's not. It's what you do when you can't afford a place with a garden around it.

HOLA443

Their words not mine.

I live close to Bingley so might keep an eye on it :lol:

Even the one taken off sale only says reserved :lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445

Their words not mine.

Can't help wondering how long it'll be before masses of these blocks of flats are demolished and people start talking about the colossal planning errors of the noughties.

Shades of the Park Hill (?) flats in Sheffield.

Would guess it'll take till 2020-ish.

HOLA446

This type of living is a con. It would be justified if the prices were somewhat cheaper than equivalent houses, but they are not. You get no garden, no privacy (ever walked the corridor of one of these and listened to the goings on next door) Noise from upstairs, downstairs and next door, a poxy 99 year lease and extortionate management charges. To me these should be aimed at over 55's who want to live amongst themselves and dont want to work a garden. This type of property is suffering the most from price deflation at present and its obvious why.

HOLA447
To me these should be aimed at over 55's who want to live amongst themselves and dont want to work a garden.

Absolutely, all us over 55's like nothing better than .... no privacy .... Noise from upstairs, downstairs and next door, a poxy 99 year lease and extortionate management charges.

Estate agents as wide of the mark, patronising, generalists?

Surely not :rolleyes:

HOLA448
Absolutely, all us over 55's like nothing better than .... no privacy .... Noise from upstairs, downstairs and next door, a poxy 99 year lease and extortionate management charges.

The over 60's new builds are normally a much better quality than the boxes thrown up for families. Maybe because the older lot are more choosey. They are fairly spacious the communal areas are like hotels, really very nice indeed.

HOLA449
To me these should be aimed at over 55's who want to live amongst themselves and dont want to work a garden.

I've never understood the 'no garden' as a marketing angle because all the people I know who are 55+ really enjoy gardening and spending time in the garden, they've only given it up once they've hit real old age (85+) and their physical health started to be an issue.

HOLA4410
The over 60's new builds are normally a much better quality than the boxes thrown up for families. Maybe because the older lot are more choosey. They are fairly spacious the communal areas are like hotels, really very nice indeed.

I agree, the likes of McCarth & Stone & Churchills do nice apartments - BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICES? F***** OUTRAGEOUS!

HOLA4411
I agree, the likes of McCarth & Stone & Churchills do nice apartments - BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICES? F***** OUTRAGEOUS!

Never mind the service charges!

My mother looked at a few new McC & Stone flats several yrs ago. Then 80-ish, she was exceedingly put out that there was not only no dishwasher but no space for a slimline, and the salesperson said that they 'hadn't thought old people would want them.'

Exit highly indignant mother, fuming at patronising attitudes. 'I suppose they think we've got nothing better to do!' etc.

The flats were decidedly poky anyway. Maybe there are nicer ones elsewhere.

HOLA4412
The Vision will be a vibrant environment that will be the focal point of residential life in Bingley as the town centre undergoes an epic journey of reinvigoration and urban renaissance."

But what happens when the main employer in the town closes?

HOLA4413
This type of living is a con. It would be justified if the prices were somewhat cheaper than equivalent houses, but they are not. You get no garden, no privacy (ever walked the corridor of one of these and listened to the goings on next door) Noise from upstairs, downstairs and next door, a poxy 99 year lease and extortionate management charges. To me these should be aimed at over 55's who want to live amongst themselves and dont want to work a garden. This type of property is suffering the most from price deflation at present and its obvious why.

This type of living can be rather pleasant, if the building is designed and maintained properly (which I have NEVER seen in the UK). I lived in a wonderful block of apartments in Brisbane 15 years ago. Great views, huge rooms (3 bedrooms), HUGE balcony, maintained swimming pool, sauna, tennis court, underground parking for 2 cars plus storage... all for the princely sum of £360 pcm, split between 3 people (i.e. £30 a week each or there abouts). Within walking distance to the university and shops, together with beautiful green views and a bus stop right outside the front of the building. Never heard anything from those above, or to the sides of us as the walls were very thick. I would go back to living there in a shot if I could.

Apartments can be great, but they have to be designed properly, not as the slave boxes that they are in the UK. UK apartments are just Big Yellow storage for people.

Edited by D'oh

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

You missed my point; ageism is alive and well in property, and for a number of reasons the elderly choose to live amongst themselves in these environments: Warden service, avoid living amongst kids/chavs/etc, less maintenance/upkeep, (including garden) etc, etc. My point was that these properties are overpriced and may only have a value if they offer something extra (for example security for the older). The other exception would be location, a block of apartments overlooking the main focal point of any town/city may be a worthwhile purchase to some who are prepared to pay a premium for this percieved luxury.

HOLA4416