House Price Crash Forum

Germany Exports Lead The Way In Europe

HOLA441

..........find his closing statement in the third paragraph quoted is answered in the fourth........we need to rethink our short term investor mentality with high 'dividend' yields and like the Germans invest for the long term .... <_<

“My father said you have to decide if you want to be an entrepreneur or a capitalist. An entrepreneur is like an architect. He builds up the company, makes it grow and gives work to people and makes them happy.

“This is a completely different profession to being an investor in a company. If I had been a capitalist I would have sold up and started an internet company or something.

“The shareholder approach in Britain and America means investment isn’t a priority, but dividends are. We had five big competitors in America. They have all gone because the Americans invested nothing in their businesses. I can’t understand why so much manufacturing expertise in Britain has disappeared.

“We had a subsidiary there and it was a catastrophe in quality and motivation. After 15 years of losses we had to close it. It proved impossible to have a base in Britain,” he said. or a capitalist. An entrepreneur is like an architect. He builds up the company, makes it grow and gives work to people and makes them happy.

“This is a completely different profession to being an investor in a company. If I had been a capitalist I would have sold up and started an internet company or something.

“The shareholder approach in Britain and America means investment isn’t a priority, but dividends are. We had five big competitors in America. They have all gone because the Americans invested nothing in their businesses. I can’t understand why so much manufacturing expertise in Britain has disappeared.

“We had a subsidiary there and it was a catastrophe in quality and motivation. After 15 years of losses we had to close it. It proved impossible to have a base in Britain,” he said.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3644997.ece

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA442
..........find his closing statement in the third paragraph quoted is answered in the fourth........we need to rethink our short term investor mentality with high 'dividend' yields and like the Germans invest for the long term .... <_<

Agreed but it is not we....it is you or me. The biggest problems in this country are always caused by someone else :(

HOLA443
Agreed but it is not we....it is you or me. The biggest problems in this country are always caused by someone else :(

Curiously investment as a % of GDP is similar between The Uk and Germany at 18.4 and 18.3% respectively. The USA is well behind at 15.6%. France is ahead at 20.7%, Japan 24.1%, China 42%

Will be interesting to see where we all are economically in 5 years. The USA will be joining latin America by the looks of it.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2185rank.html

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA444
Curiously investment as a % of GDP is similar between The Uk and Germany at 18.4 and 18.3% respectively. The USA is well behind at 15.6%. France is ahead at 20.7%, Japan 24.1%, China 42%

Will be interesting to see where we all are economically in 5 years. The USA will be joining latin America by the looks of it.

I wouldn't trust British stats though. Probably includes city centre flats :lol:

HOLA445

...there is investment and investment...in the UK and the US companies are running scared of their short term performance to satisfy high dividend seeking shareholders and thus weakening the long term prosperity of the company .....this is reflected in the current account tables where the Germans (surplus USD185billion) are up there in the top three with China and India.... we are 162nd (deficit USD111billion) ! with the USA ..164th deficit (USD$747billion)...so much for Gordos miracle economy.... <_<

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2187rank.html

HOLA446
HOLA447
...there is investment and investment...in the UK and the US companies are running scared of their short term performance to satisfy high dividend seeking shareholders and thus weakening the long term prosperity of the company .....this is reflected in the current account tables where the Germans (surplus USD185billion) are up there in the top three with China and India.... we are 162nd (deficit USD111billion) ! with the USA ..164th deficit (USD$747billion)...so much for Gordos miracle economy.... <_<

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2187rank.html

The deficit table really does show the anglo saxon ponzi economies for what they are. Whats really scary is Australia - 50bn deficit and they are in the middle of the biggest commodity booms in history. Good help em if the economy goes down - they will be going to the abo's for charity :lol:

HOLA448
The deficit table really does show the anglo saxon ponzi economies for what they are. Whats really scary is Australia - 50bn deficit and they are in the middle of the biggest commodity booms in history. Good help em if the economy goes down - they will be going to the abo's for charity :lol:

.......agreed ....and no wonder Mr Gordo Broon doesn't talk about the the Germans the world export leader ahead of China for the fifth year running....no wonder GBP is crashing.....how is the German economy doing so well if every country is suffering due to the US sub prime according to Gordo...?...... <_<

Last year manufacturing output grew by more than 6%. Exports rose more than 8%, making Germany the world export leader, ahead of even China, for the fifth year running, with total trade of €969 billion (£758 billion). Overall, the German economy expanded in 2007 by 2.5%, with external trade accounting for 1.4% of this growth.