House Price Crash Forum

One In Four Home Owners Struggling To Meet Mortgage Payments - Kpmg

HOLA441

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/

Just have a quick trawl through this increasingly busy site. Some amazing debt figures (and write offs !!).

Debt is clearly just extra income for lots and lots of people. The recent credit binge has created this weird sub-culture in which people blame everyone but themselves for their problems, finding sympathy and support amongst fellow 'victims' whilst the whole IVA sector is clearly booming !!! (I suppose there are plenty of jobs being created there ...).

HOLA442
I wonder how these 11 million people will react in the coming months? Will they reduce their 'non-essential'/leisure spending? This could lead to an abrupt economic slowdown quicly followed by a sharp and sudden rise in unemployment with some much of UK labour force working in the great service economy ....... Growth down and unemployment up - I think the fundamentals of UK plc are going to markedly deteriorate to use the sort of phrase economists relish.

Leisure spending is going to be slashed IMO. I offer an Ebay anecdote:

I often sell a small quantity of tickets for top gigs in London (Damien Rice, Amy Winehouse, etc.). Since the end of last year, demand has dropped off a cliff. Also, the premium above face value has reduced substantially. This is clear evidence of a retrenchment in "non-essential" expenditure.

Monty

HOLA443

Just have a quick trawl through this increasingly busy site. Some amazing debt figures (and write offs !!).

Debt is clearly just extra income for lots and lots of people. The recent credit binge has created this weird sub-culture in which people blame everyone but themselves for their problems, finding sympathy and support amongst fellow 'victims' whilst the whole IVA sector is clearly booming !!! (I suppose there are plenty of jobs being created there ...).

Hmmm...one of the sub-forums is weight watchers club - so that's where all the money went!

HOLA444
It is truly amazing how many people don't consider their mortgage to be a debt. Intelligent, well educated people brainwashed.

It's very odd isn't it? Suddenly you've made it if you've got a roof over your head, 300K debt, no savings and no way of saving.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Leisure spending is going to be slashed IMO. I offer an Ebay anecdote:

Totally agree. My football team are doing much better than last year (top of league by a mile) and playing better football but attendances are down by a quarter.

The recession is already here, IMHO.

I've even noticed that the modern equivalent of the high hemline, young people showing their cracks, is not as prevalent as it was.

HOLA448
If anyone tried this I would have them in court faster than they could apologise.

Reiteration: living where some debt-junkie used to live does not involve taking responsibility for their debts.

I'd never suggest otherwise. I was just surprised to discover what rights-of-entry bailiffs have, and how much hassle they can cause to people who happen to be living in a target address, in a recent case discussed here on HPC (I believe the debt collection agency ended up taking the HPCer to court, though I can't find the thread any more). I personally would advise the creditors that the debtor doesn't live here any more, but YMMV ;)

HOLA449

Absolute classic:

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9049

I do not currently have a mortgage. I am considering taking out an IVA to clear my personal debt. My husband and I will possibly be looking to take out a mortgage in this year. Will having an IVA affect my chances of getting a mortgage. (I am not the main wage earner)

This does indeed go right through clueless and out into the sunny uplands of la-la land..

HOLA4410