redwing

HOLA441
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I viewed the Fen Ditton place last month, It was an absolute wreck inside, the EA said they wanted to put it on market for 335, but the owners put it on at 350, on sale due to divorce, after a couple of weeks of just a few viewings, the owners listened to the EA and dropped the price as he suggested.

The Peveral road property is "post war semi detached house of Laing Easyform construction " I am amazed people are paying more than 250k for these properties, but I guess foreign investors snapping up homes in Cambridge might not be too clued up on concrete constructions....

One property that amuses me is this one :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60775985.html

I first viewed this property over 2 years ago, the next door house had just sold for 235K, a few months earlier, identical, mirror image of the property, except it even had an extension. This property hasn't sold for almost 3 years, it first came on the market at 285 and has now stepped up to 425!! crazy kite flying. It seems like every EA has had a try selling her property. I pity the fool who buys it...

HOLA444

I've also noticed in my search area (1 mile from the train station), a fair few HMO properties coming on in the last three weeks. One's like this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55386286.html

People do seem to be putting in offers for them:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55396639.html

I started looking about ten months ago, so can't say if this is normal for August or not.

HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

I've also noticed in my search area (1 mile from the train station), a fair few HMO properties coming on in the last three weeks. One's like this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55386286.html

People do seem to be putting in offers for them:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55396639.html

I started looking about ten months ago, so can't say if this is normal for August or not.

F*ck me, 20 Hope Street! I rented a room there back in 1992. Wow, that takes me back. Looking at the pictures it hasn't been updated since I was there, staggering to think it's now worth ~400K, places went for 60-70K back in the early 90s.

HOLA446
  • 2 months later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, neuvilla said:

Asking price for one of these on this road was 425K less than a year ago. So, about a 37% increase in asking price in less than a year. The utter greed.

I have no other way to react, except than to projectile vomit. 

HOLA449
3 hours ago, RickyD said:

I have no other way to react, except than to projectile vomit. 

I'm going to keep a close eye on this one. Feel like there has been an increase in reductions in my search area (including rents), and I expect this will have to come down. Surprising though as that particular EA have always marketed low and tried to get as many people interested as possible in order to spark a bidding war. The owner of the EA actually told me this himself once when he was showing us round a house last year. The one on for 425K last year actually sold for 490K. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

from here:

https://houseprices.io/?q=Lawson+Close%2C+Histon%2C+Cambridge%2C+CB24

It was bought for 

24/11/2004 £250,000 10 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE

No 6 is a 4 bedroom house, http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/6-lawson-close/histon/cambridge/cb24-9he/29018536

so I guess about 200K over valued ;)

Latest house prices matching: 'lawson close, histon, cambridge, cb24'

12 sales found

Date Price Address
02/09/2016 £410,000 8 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
20/08/2013 £478,000 6 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
27/10/2009 £375,000 3 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
14/10/2005 £499,950 1 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
20/05/2005 £335,000 3 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
04/02/2005 £250,000 8 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
07/01/2005 £320,000 4 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
24/11/2004 £250,000 10 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
05/11/2004 £250,000 9 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
12/08/2004 £342,500 6 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE
21/06/2004 £495,000 1 Lawson Close, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9HE

HOLA4415

Supply has absolutely collapsed in Cherry Hinton. Down to 18 properties on the market. It has been as high as 60 since I've been monitoring it. Friends are trying to buy in the area and are being outbid by ridiculous offers. They are American and are just getting over the shock of what you actually get for your money here.

HOLA4416
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57286456.html

I don't know why I keep on getting surprised/angry at these crazy house prices. But this house sold for 525K three years ago. They've added a side return and a loft extension and suddenly they think they've added 325K. 

I don't know what makes me angrier, the vendors, the EAs or the people who are paying/getting into debt for this.

HOLA4418
20 hours ago, neuvilla said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57286456.html

I don't know why I keep on getting surprised/angry at these crazy house prices. But this house sold for 525K three years ago. They've added a side return and a loft extension and suddenly they think they've added 325K. 

I don't know what makes me angrier, the vendors, the EAs or the people who are paying/getting into debt for this.

Nice house.. but that's one crazy price. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it for that. Prices just keep going up here. 

I personally know two people who have bought since the referendum, paying between 400 to 500K for tiny 2 bed terraced houses (the ones so small front door opens into living room). Both with the help of parents.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, neuvilla said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it for that. Prices just keep going up here. 

I personally know two people who have bought since the referendum, paying between 400 to 500K for tiny 2 bed terraced houses (the ones so small front door opens into living room). Both with the help of parents.

agree, 12 Emery Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 2AX sold for £755,000 in Nov 2015.  This house is extended refurbished and has a better garden. I'll expect it'll get close to 800K. crazy crazy prices

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, tyres said:

agree, 12 Emery Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 2AX sold for £755,000 in Nov 2015.  This house is extended refurbished and has a better garden. I'll expect it'll get close to 800K. crazy crazy prices

Yep, they'll go for around those prices I expect. This one is 151 m2, works out at around £5k psqm which is high, but not extortionately high. The other one above is 134 m2 at £850k is £6,300 odd psqm. 

Who's buying them, that's what I wanna know. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 hours ago, RickyD said:

Once the house prices drop more extensively throughout London (not just at the high end), one would hope they also lower in commuter towns/cities, such as Cambridge.

doubt it for Cambridge, it's become the fastest growing city in the uk, way too many people, not enough houses, last week the roads were gridlocked...

Unless something miraculous happens, I don't see house prices dropping anytime soon :(

HOLA4425
13 hours ago, tyres said:

doubt it for Cambridge, it's become the fastest growing city in the uk, way too many people, not enough houses, last week the roads were gridlocked...

Unless something miraculous happens, I don't see house prices dropping anytime soon :(

Although its very much a commuter town now. I'm not surprised. If you work within walking distance to Kings Cross it isn't a bad commute really. Beats the tube anyway, although a season ticket is expensive.

I wonder about the impact of rising house prices on traffic. As houses within walking/cycling distance of the station become more expensive because commuters going to London see them as cheaper than what they can get in London, everyone else working in Cambridge is forced out to the outskirts and find they now need to drive in. So maybe there is a lack of housing, but price drops in London might lower the demand in Cambridge.