House Price Crash Forum

Sky: " Mortgage Approvals Take Another Tumble"

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

To go back to my original post here - As far as most sensible people are concerned, borrowing at ANYTHING over 3.5 x salary p.a. IS SUB-PRIME!!!!!!!!! --

.............and I will not budge on this....

I would only add 3.5x salary and 95% LTV.

Given that twice in the last twenty years we have witnessed exactly the same phenomenon (under both Labour and Conservative administrations) - with all the destructive costs to families, communities, and the economy which inevitably follows in the wake of House Price Inflation - how do we prevent it happening again?

HOLA445
I would only add 3.5x salary and 95% LTV.

Given that twice in the last twenty years we have witnessed exactly the same phenomenon (under both Labour and Conservative administrations) - with all the destructive costs to families, communities, and the economy which inevitably follows in the wake of House Price Inflation - how do we prevent it happening again?

I agree with you wholeheartedly 'happy?'........

HOLA446
Sorry mate -- it is more like 60-70%. The "average" price of a property in the UK is $250k --- you're not going to tell me the average person earns [£250k/3.5] £71.72k per anum ---- which --- if you're lending RESPONSIBLY --- is what you have to earn to buy the "average" property!!!!! WHAT A FARCE!!!!!!

As far as most sensible people are concerned, borrowing at ANYTHING over 3.5 x salary p.a. IS SUB-PRIME!!!!!!!!!

Well its YOUR subprime, but the term subprime is mearly a measure of percieved risk in the industry. We well know on here that very lax lending standards extend across over the whole consumer credit complex. Go back a few decades and everythings subprime by standards of the past.

Edited by domo

HOLA447
Well its YOUR subprime, but the term subprime is mearly a measure of percieved risk in the industry. We well know on here that very lax lending standards extend across over the whole consumer credit complex. Go back a few decades and everythings subprime by standards of the past.

I'm trying to understand your post domo...... can't quite figure out what you're saying...?!?

HOLA448
As far as most sensible people are concerned, borrowing at ANYTHING over 3.5 x salary p.a. IS SUB-PRIME!!!!!!!!! --

Eric, being so rigid sets you up for a fall. Consider two borrowers, Mr A and Mr B.

Mr A is a young and newly qualified doctor, he's in good health and he wants a ten year repayment mortgage on a freehold house in a well established neighberhood. He has a 50% deposit. Unfortunately he wants to borrow 3.6 times his salary, so by your definition he's sub-prime despite his excellent prospects and large deposit on a solid home.

Mr B is a 70 year old smoker who has a part-time job in the stock room at F.C.U.K. Because he's only been working there six months he has virtually no employment security. He'd like a 100% interest only mortgage on a derelict leasehold mobile home that resides on a floodplain. But because he's looking to borrow only 3.4 times his salary presumably you'd judge him "prime".

I don't think so.

Edited by silver surfer

HOLA449