House Price Crash Forum

What's Going On With Business At The Moment?

HOLA441
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Come on. What on earth were you on about in your post?

There may or may not be a recession coming, I don't know, but there's no point making a series of bizarre accusations to someone posting about their personal experience of their own business.

He said (and he is a big hitter on the HPC site - not that that is a bad thing):

"Fortunately, I saw it coming and have cut overheads to the bone and am sub-contracting all manufacturing.

I shall probably shut up shop and retire next year".

and I thought that pretty insular so I asked whether that included redunding current employees, transferring jobs (ie subcontracting) to China and what was going to happen to his employees next year. For someone who is a mover and shaker in industry (or manufacturing) but who thinks the UK economy is on the rocks and who contributes to the forum I thought it was legitimate to ask. Hardly bizarre.

HOLA443
We are currently very busy but our industry is engineering and manufacturing. Anything that happens in the economy usually takes some time to filter down to us.

I have heard other people saying that things are slow. Other parts of engineering have slowed and there are companies that are closing on a weekly basis.

For your trade, I guess its just a point of confidence. Business's may nervous and are just holding back on spending. Once confidence returns, they will be back on the phone to you. ;)

In the same game and have to say snap. Always seemed to be really been busy in fact they went and looked at another premises today because we have run out of room and capacity. I think the plan is to run both side by side on different sites. Not worried at all.

that's about entirely wrong.

cutting your ad budget itsn't the way out of lowering sales.

you might need to change the focus, highlight value etc.

but sticking your head under a rock is a quick way to go under.

I have to disagree with this comment depending on what you are selling. For instance if things get tight i may not be able to afford that new car or holiday. And it does not matter how much money Ford or Thomas Cook spend on advertising or glossy mag spreads if i have not got the money, i have got no money. You can not spend what you have not got*.

*Unless you live in the miracle economy yee haw!

HOLA444
Guest The_Oldie
He said (and he is a big hitter on the HPC site - not that that is a bad thing):

"Fortunately, I saw it coming and have cut overheads to the bone and am sub-contracting all manufacturing.

I shall probably shut up shop and retire next year".

and I thought that pretty insular so I asked whether that included redunding current employees, transferring jobs (ie subcontracting) to China and what was going to happen to his employees next year. For someone who is a mover and shaker in industry (or manufacturing) but who thinks the UK economy is on the rocks and who contributes to the forum I thought it was legitimate to ask. Hardly bizarre.

'redunding' :rolleyes:

Never post whilst drunk, you just make a fool of yourself <_<.

HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp
You can not spend what you have not got*.

And herewith lays the problem, millions have, and that is about to blow up in their faces. :(

HOLA446

Have worked in the timber window industry for 8 years and this quarter will be the busiest in that time. Most of the capacity for the next quarter has already been sold as well (which is unusual as traditionally we offer 6-8 week delivery but due to high demand we are currently loading new orders for 12-14 weeks). I know of two of our competitors that also have a lack of capacity because of the high demand and are now offering similar leadtimes.

The strange thing is that contractors and buyers cant get the windows quick enough which, when you read about a slow down with house sales doesn't seem logical. You'd have expected contractors to delay their build to reduce a strain on cash flow if the first plots aren't selling. A couple of years ago several of the big builders did slow down their projects but at the moment if anything their pulling them in :blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
The strange thing is that contractors and buyers cant get the windows quick enough which, when you read about a slow down with house sales doesn't seem logical. You'd have expected contractors to delay their build to reduce a strain on cash flow if the first plots aren't selling. A couple of years ago several of the big builders did slow down their projects but at the moment if anything their pulling them in :blink:

the builders need to build or they are dead- they have paid fortunes for the land on which they are building their cheaply built flats.

I would expect to see many empty nearly complete sites in the very near future all around.

2 bed flats are everywhere around here (North Essex)