House Price Crash Forum

What's Going On With Business At The Moment?

HOLA441

Just to add my 2-pence.

I work for US based company selling to the semiconductor industry (or what is now left of it in this country).

We have diversified quite highly here in the UK so are less affected, but the word from corporate (well, from their market analysts) is that capital spending in the industry is already down 6% and is expected to get worse.

We are not replacing any non-critical staff until things become more certain.

Expensive global sales meetings have been cancelled.

Sales managers look nervous.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Very Quiet (Industrial Electronics). Everyone I speak to in the industry says the same.

Fortunately, I saw it coming and have cut overheads to the bone and am sub-contracting all manufacturing.

I shall probably shut up shop and retire next year.

The last three years have been very busy though, so I'm not complaining :).

Well is it just me or you not a particularly good representative of the HPC forum. Your submission was probably meant to inflame but maybe you have made British workers redundant, sub contracted to China, intend to make the remainder of your employees redundant next year when you retire. Thanks, enjoy your retirement (and hopefully your aspiration of an HPC will add to your enjoyment).

HOLA443
Well is it just me or you not a particularly good representative of the HPC forum. Your submission was probably meant to inflame but maybe you have made British workers redundant, sub contracted to China, intend to make the remainder of your employees redundant next year when you retire. Thanks, enjoy your retirement (and hopefully your aspiration of an HPC will add to your enjoyment).

Clearly you've never run a business - if you had you would know that the its not an altruistic enterprise and the only thing of importance is the bottom line.

Always remember Turnover is vanity, Profit is a prince, and cash is the KING

HOLA444
Clearly you've never run a business - if you had you would know that the its not an altruistic enterprise and the only thing of importance is the bottom line.

Always remember Turnover is vanity, Profit is a prince, and cash is the KING

Not really aimed at you though.

HOLA445
Guest The_Oldie

Inflame?

Redundant?

Subcontract to China?

Remainder of employees?

What the hell are you on about?

Idiot!

HOLA446
Inflame?

Redundant?

Subcontract to China?

What the hell are you on about?

Idiot!

Well you were pretty forthcoming on your business tell us a bit more if you don't mind (as you are pretty forthcoming on your views on the property market and the economy as a whole). How did you cut your overheads (any job cuts?), where did you subcontract to (did you do a Dyson?), what will happen to your current employees during the Great Crash?

HOLA447
Guest The_Oldie
Well you were pretty forthcoming on your business tell us a bit more if you don't mind (as you are pretty forthcoming on your views on the property market and the economy as a whole). How did you cut your overheads (any job cuts?), where did you subcontract to (did you do a Dyson?), what will happen to your current employees during the Great Crash?

Suffice to say that your accusations were all unfounded.

Don't you have a wife to hold ridiculous arguments with?

HOLA448
Suffice to say that your accusations were all unfounded.

Don't you have a wife to hold ridiculous arguments with?

Yes I do in fact but we have a bit of an agreement that neither of us make sweeping statements to support an argument that we are not willing to substantiate.

HOLA449
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Very Quiet (Industrial Electronics). Everyone I speak to in the industry says the same.

Fortunately, I saw it coming and have cut overheads to the bone and am sub-contracting all manufacturing.

I shall probably shut up shop and retire next year.

The last three years have been very busy though, so I'm not complaining :).

My industry went into a mini recession 2 years ago.

I also saw it coming and sold out to my partner in 2003. Best decision I ever made, retired 5 years early and have heard my ex partner is trying to get out but there are no buyers around. When your Employees earn more than you that is the time to shed them and get out quick. ;)

HOLA4410
Guest The_Oldie
Yes I do in fact but we have a bit of an agreement that neither of us make sweeping statements to support an argument that we are not willing to substantiate.

Whether you like it or not, I am not going to divulge any more about my business. Now go away and find someone else to annoy.

HOLA4411

I also saw it coming and sold out to my partner in 2003. Best decision I ever made, retired 5 years early and have heard my ex partner is trying to get out but there are no buyers around. When your Employees earn more than you that is the time to shed them and get out quick. ;)

Well if we could just harness you and The Oldie in a team then we could just about predict any downturn in the market before it happened (apart from the housing market by the looks of it).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
that's about entirely wrong.

cutting your ad budget itsn't the way out of lowering sales.

I run my own mobile vehicle valeting, detailing and paint correction business and bookings are down to their lowest since I started up around one year ago. Back in the summer I had more work than I could cope with. Advertising is my largest overhead and I have just recently halved my expenditure on advertising in local rags. I'm going to start printing my own leaflets and do a few drops myself to save a few quid. I'm not optimistic in the slightest regards the economy, it's going to look like the mother of all train wrecks imo, full speed ahead :(

HOLA4414
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Well if we could just harness you and The Oldie in a team then we could just about predict any downturn in the market before it happened (apart from the housing market by the looks of it).

There speaks a man/woman who would not survive a month running his/her own business. I have at least 30 ex business customers from small to big companies I keep in touch with whose businesses cover a very wide area in their type of manufacturing and trading. They are my present guide to how things really are and believe me it is not good.

Live and learn they do say.

HOLA4415
There speaks a man/woman who would not survive a month running his/her own business. I have at least 30 ex business customers from small to big companies I keep in touch with whose businesses cover a very wide area in their type of manufacturing and trading. They are my present guide to how things really are and believe me it is not good.

Live and learn they do say.

You are right, I cannot compete with a man who saw a mini-recession coming two years before it happened, nor can I compete with a man who can determine my suitability to run my own business on a post he has seen on this forum.

HOLA4416
Guest Charlie The Tramp
You are right, I cannot compete with a man who saw a mini-recession coming two years before it happened, nor can I compete with a man who can determine my suitability to run my own business on a post he has seen on this forum.

Please read my post again I said my industry entered a min-recession two years ago, in the past we were always the first to enter a recession and the first to come out. :rolleyes:

HOLA4417
Please read my post again I said my industry entered a min-recession two years ago, in the past we were always the first to enter a recession and the first to come out. :rolleyes:

What part have I got wrong then:

I also saw it coming and sold out to my partner in 2003. Best decision I ever made, retired 5 years early and have heard my ex partner is trying to get out but there are no buyers around. When your Employees earn more than you that is the time to shed them and get out quick.

HOLA4418
Guest Charlie The Tramp
What part have I got wrong then:

I also saw it coming and sold out to my partner in 2003. Best decision I ever made, retired 5 years early and have heard my ex partner is trying to get out but there are no buyers around. When your Employees earn more than you that is the time to shed them and get out quick.

You work it out.

HOLA4419
You work it out.

Okay, I said,

"You are right, I cannot compete with a man who saw a mini-recession coming two years before it happened, nor can I compete with a man who can determine my suitability to run my own business on a post he has seen on this forum".

You implied that this was wrong by saying,

"Please read my post again I said my industry entered a min-recession two years ago",

I responded with your initial submission which was,

"My industry went into a mini recession 2 years ago. I also saw it coming and sold out to my partner in 2003".

I am not trying to convince you it is just that others will be reading this thread and might be taken in by your confidence that you are right.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Charlie The Tramp
I am not trying to convince you it is just that others will be reading this thread and might be taken in by your confidence that you are right.

I am merely giving an anecdotal on my industry and experiences, and have no intention of taking in anybody.

As we always say DYOR and make up your own mind . ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

prat

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Discuss?

Come on. What on earth were you on about in your post?

There may or may not be a recession coming, I don't know, but there's no point making a series of bizarre accusations to someone posting about their personal experience of their own business.