House Price Crash Forum

Brown "caves In" To Unions On Pay

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...8/nunion128.xml

Gordon Brown caves in to unions over pay

By Toby "Tobias" Helm, Chief Political Correspondent

Last Updated: 1:51am BST 28/08/2007

Gordon Brown was accused of caving in to the trade unions last night as it emerged that he is ready to improve deals for low-paid workers to avoid a series of public sector strikes.
The move by the Prime Minister will be seen as an attempt to avert an "autumn and winter of discontent" across the public sector which would seriously disrupt any plans he may have for a snap general election.

GE coming up soon? This should help wage push inflation along and give taxes a boost to pay for it all.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It's the torygraph.

Has anybody thought that public sector pay rises were kept deliberately low allowing for re-negotiation later in the year, resulting in 'better' deals making Gordon appear to be the caring PM and ensuring success at the polls?

I love a good conspiracy. :unsure:

Edited by headmelter

HOLA446
It's the torygraph.

Has anybody thought that public sector pay rises were kept delberately low allowing for re-negotiation later in the year resulting in 'better' deals making Gordon appear to be the caring PM and ensuring success at the polls?

I love a good conspiracy. :unsure:

he wouldn't be the first pm/chancellor to do that... when i took my politics a level in 1993 we were taught that that is common practice when it comes to public sector pay rises. not so much a conspiracy, simply the way it has always been done.

(unless of course our lecturer was a secret tinfoil hatter... he did confess to being a liberal democrat so who knows...)

HOLA447
Dead fish roll over?! :blink:

The term belly up comes from somewhere you know. :)

'Belly-up' is an allusion to fish, which float that way when 'dead in the water'. This expression was known in the USA by the 1920s, often related to bancruptcy or other commercial disasters.

Found on phrases.org. How apt.

edit to add:

Its possible they backflip into the belly up position but l think they probably just ..roll over. But you're right, it was a crap analogy. I expect fish spend a bit of time on their side before giving up entirely.

Edited by DabHand

HOLA448
HOLA449