House Price Crash Forum

Mega One Pound Shop In Trouble

HOLA441

I was in Cosham today looking to buy a pair rayband copies for a pound. - thats where i saw the two cutprice shops closed - so i looked up on the news on the internet (hence the April 4th date in the News).

LINK TO ARTICLE http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/ViewArtic...ticleID=2225615

TH1_44200738CUTPRICE.jpg

I also noticed that Motorworks (what used to be Les Smith) and the shop next to it has closed. A jeweller and a mobile phone shop has closed. A number of shops that are still trading have "for sale" signs up.

Look out at your nearest non-primary shopping centre - the money is drying up.

HOLA442
I was in Cosham today looking to buy a pair rayband copies for a pound. - thats where i saw the two cutprice shops closed - so i looked up on the news on the internet (hence the April 4th date in the News).

That's inflation for you. Those pound shops are soon going to have to bite the bullet and become £2 shops ... or risk going under.

HOLA443

Not just money drying up.

1) The sort of tat that can actually be sourced for a £ is now so bad people don't want it.

2) People are fed up with the £1 tat that they have already bought and realise it for what it is and no longer want the stuff.

3) Commercial rents, rates, insurance, general costs, business services - 2% inflation in these? Not a chance.

HOLA444

you did well getting in and out of cosham without getting knifed. although statistics may or may not back me up i find cosham a scary place to walk around - benefit scroungers, drunks and skanky folks abound. still, that heidi's bakery does a nice cake, and may's chippy does good chips (though i don't reckon the hygiene is up to much)..

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Inflation proves to be a bit of a bugger when you can't raise your prices and even then Chinese want more money for their tat.

I remember when they were 50p shops, by the end of this decade they'll be £10 shops!

They'll need to print more notes. Don't fancy the idea of carrying around two pound coins in a bag!

I hardly ever see a five pound note!

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA448

LINK TO ARTICLE http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/ViewArtic...ticleID=2225615

TH1_44200738CUTPRICE.jpg

I also noticed that Motorworks (what used to be Les Smith) and the shop next to it has closed. A jeweller and a mobile phone shop has closed. A number of shops that are still trading have "for sale" signs up.

Look out at your nearest non-primary shopping centre - the money is drying up.

Hi notanewmember

I`m in Portsmouth too :(

I`m amazed that `Pound Stores` are drying up now (given the parlous state of the economy). Mr Cheap (North End) is still going strong - although he`s had to move because John Lewis is going to buy up his shop under compulsory purchase. There`s a discount store in Fratton too.

The way I see things is this: there will always be a demand for cheapo goods, but the cost of running a business from a shop is a nightmare; I suppose there`s always the market route, although that`s going to be moving to another part of Portsmouth city centre in 2008, apparently. :rolleyes:

Edited by skanked

HOLA449

tons of 99p shops in London - and more opening, some becoming 89p shops.

Great stuff you can get (cleaning / household stuff, batteries, some tools), seen a euro shop in portugal, crap compared to here.

Makes you realise how overpriced some of the big stores are when they sell identicle things 50/100% less

Have seen some of them changing to £1 + stores too though

Edited by skhudy