House Price Crash Forum

Pets In A Rental Property

steviola

HOLA441

I have recently agreed to rent a house, and have the contract to sign. This has a clause that says that no pets are allowed without written agreement from the landlord.

My partner and I do not have any pets, but are keen to get a couple of kittens soon after moving in.

Just wondering what our position would be if we just went and got them after moving in... what the consequences of not telling the Landlord would be?

The place is completely unfurnished, with wood floors throughout downstairs.

Any rental experts on here know where we stand on this?

Thanks!

Steviola

HOLA442
Guest muttley
I have recently agreed to rent a house, and have the contract to sign. This has a clause that says that no pets are allowed without written agreement from the landlord.

My partner and I do not have any pets, but are keen to get a couple of kittens soon after moving in.

Just wondering what our position would be if we just went and got them after moving in... what the consequences of not telling the Landlord would be?

Thanks!

Steviola

Why don't you ask the landlord if it's alright. We have a cat and the 3 LLs we have rented from all relented, even though they stipulated "No Pets" in their advert. One landlord asked for an increased deposit.

I think landlords put "No Pets" so that they don't end up with a pack of rotweillers on their property.

On the legal side, you would be in breach of your tenancy agreement and could be asked to leave, though whether the landlord could be bothered to evict you remains to be seen.

HOLA443

I know someone who rented a house with some other student mates and the tenancy stipulated No Pets although it would hardly have made the place more messy than 6 student lads did.

Anyway, one day they decided to go and get a cat form the local RSPCA place and brought it home. The landlord came in to see them and upon seeing the cat (who had by now been named "Daf Turbo Intercooler') and said "Whats That!.

My friend said, "Ermm...its a cat".

The landlord shrugged his shoulders and said "OK as long as its not a pet otherwise I will kick you out". :lol::lol:

HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

A friend I used to sare with was allowed a cat. All the landlord asked was that at when we moved out we had the place de-fleaed. From memory that only cost around £40. He was allowed the cat because we had a mouse. My mate wouldn't leave his room because of the tiny beast so he got the cat. Unfortunately the cat was being given away becaused it's previous owners got a new dog and the cat was scared of it. When the cat moved in my mate wouldn't come downstairs without the cat in case there was a mouse and the cat wouldn't come downstairs without my mate in case there was a dog lurking! They relied on eachother for about 2 weeks!!!

HOLA446

Thanks!

Steviola

I advised the letting agent that I was a smoker and had 2 cats before I even looked at properties, Landlord was OK with me having 2 cats although I dont think the agent told him I smoked! When I signed my contract there was also a clause about not having pets without written permission of the Landlord, I have been here for nearly 8 months and have just received copies of correspondence between the Landlord and the building Management company where it clearly shows that the Landlord hadn't considered the possibility that the Management company has a say on whether a flat can be rented out and if animals will be allowed to live in the building.

It seems they have made an exception as I have been a good tenant of the building and my cats hav'nt caused a nuisance!!!!! although they insist that the Landlord speak to them first before he lets the property again, Oh dear as I am just about to give my 2 months notice and I know he only bought the flat the month before I moved in. Not to mention the fact that he didn't realise he was responsible for paying the maintenance and ground rent.

HOLA447

Well, the rules did say that pets aren't allowed unless you have a written agreement with the landlord, which would mean that once you get a written agreement you can own pets... right?

If this is the case, then just ask for the written agreement. Do it before you buy the kittens, of course. The landlord may not be keen on the idea and refuse the pets. Your situation then would be more difficult.