House Price Crash Forum

"inflation Has Hardly Budged"

dnd

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, why is it that nobody - least of all our financial guardians on the MPC - seems to have even the vaguest notion of the relationship between M4 (measurable) and inflation (on ANY definition)....wtf!!???.

Seems as though my economics A level was a waste of time. I was constantly taught that money supply had a direct bearing on inflation - yes, including asset inflation <_<

Let's see. M4 running at 16% while IRs are 4.75%. Gordon Brown and all these analyst muppets reckon that's sustainable :lol:

Some miracle, some economy!

HOLA446
HOLA447

Seems as though my economics A level was a waste of time. I was constantly taught that money supply had a direct bearing on inflation - yes, including asset inflation <_<

Let's see. M4 running at 16% while IRs are 4.75%. Gordon Brown and all these analyst muppets reckon that's sustainable :lol:

Some miracle, some economy!

you are always going on about m4. all the extra money has gone into houses.that is why they are not worried. all the inflationary pressure has been absorbed buy property, which keeps the voters happy. and they can just pump more in. in the end of course it goes bang. but we know that. they are just hoping it wont.

HOLA448

you are always going on about m4. all the extra money has gone into houses.that is why they are not worried. all the inflationary pressure has been absorbed buy property, which keeps the voters happy. and they can just pump more in. in the end of course it goes bang. but we know that. they are just hoping it wont.

errrrrrrrr people mew so not all of it in housing.

i think we are actually at 14% which is a massive figure - even if half was absorbed in housing 7% is a lot.

HOLA449

A very interesting article. He states moneytarism and using the money measures during the lawson bom of the 1980s did not work. Its now coming back into vogue.

Well, the money supply and money measures did go through the roof in the lawson boom when he tied the pound to the ERM (Euro), and interest rates were inappropiately low.

The comment he made about broad money cash balances increasing, but not knowing whether it was because of lack of investment opportunities, or because of inflation is also very interesting.

Keynes has stated, its is impossible for a society as a whole to alter its cash balances, individuals might, but only the central bank affects the amount of broad money held as a society. If investors are selling assets, someone else must buy them. Cash balances in aggrigate do not change. The measure of broad money, if it does what it says as a measure, would not change.