House Price Crash Forum

Workaholic Consumerism Is Now A Treadmill And A Curse

HOLA441
HOLA442

Interesting. I liked this polemic nugget from the comment section:

the widespread fetishisation of house prices leads to a position of monopolistic competitive supply, and prices go up until they're affordable to only people at the top end of the buying spectrum. they go up past the point where key workers can buy (because the lawyer down the road can afford a better offer), they go up past the point where one parent can stay at home (because so many are prepared not to), they go up to the point where a professional dual-income couple can't afford to buy in the grubbiest part of south east london. that's competition, folks. and its nothing to do with having more than one TV in the house.

frugalista

HOLA443

I always wonder where the rule came from that you have to work 5 days a week 47 weeks a year?? So many more interesting things to do. As far as I can see all jobs are dull if you do enough of it!!

Personally I can't be arsed especially as I will probably drop dead of a heart attack just before I retire!!

So crap car, state schools for the kids, cheap house, no holidays!! But loads of time for fun for us!!

Anyone else working on not working??

HOLA444

I always wonder where the rule came from that you have to work 5 days a week 47 weeks a year?? So many more interesting things to do. As far as I can see all jobs are dull if you do enough of it!!

Personally I can't be arsed especially as I will probably drop dead of a heart attack just before I retire!!

So crap car, state schools for the kids, cheap house, no holidays!! But loads of time for fun for us!!

Anyone else working on not working??

I'm with you on this - this whole work ethic is just mind manipulation by the tax man to line the pockets of those that control us to line there own pockets. I do believe in work as a rule but not to the exclusion of life, family and play. People have bought into it hard that they fail to look after themselves and there families.

The whole culture has gotten out of hand - who needs those DVD's and crap consumer trinkets that are currently being peddled as must haves - our whole ethos is base on growth - our society as it stands will not work if we stangante - why - no idea? - it seems we avoid the sustainable issue at all costs - yet the politician do not subscribe to growth being unsustainable ?!? - go figure - mindless drongs. I think that god must have put the economic cycle in place and recessions in particulare to remind us that we can get by and have a life :)

I work part time (out of choice) - and I only work the hours that I need to live - no more - no less.

HAL

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I always wonder where the rule came from that you have to work 5 days a week 47 weeks a year??

Henry Ford, I believe :

http://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bios/askus34.htm

Around 1915, auto manufacturer Henry Ford made his own adjustments to work schedules. When he invented the assembly line to mass-produce his Model T, he standardized the days, hours and schedules of work for his employees. With the rapid increase in automobile production in the 1920s, Ford's work schedules set the standard for industrial organization.

HOLA448

I agree and one wonders with the house price boom we have how many people will never be able to afford to stop working. Many have enslaved themselves for the rest of their lives. My granddad died the following day after he retired of a heart attack.

I currently work enough hours to pay my rent, council tax ect. I don’t run a car although I can drive. There are many things I do without and its not always easy. I’m very careful and because of that I can still save a little.

I see people every day chasing their living rushing around. There now seems to be no time for life itself. Life isn’t just about work its about a balance. We have all been given the gift of life and we need to use every day wisely.

This rotten government knows exactly what they are doing with this house price inflation. They have secured tax revenue for decades to come as so many will have to now work until they drop.

The irony if many will never actually spend that much time in their beloved homes.

I’ve been visiting this site almost since its launch and although I would still prefer to buy than rent I have all but given up on the possibility for now. I have no choice but to rent and will continue to make the best of it. As long as rents don’t go the same way as house prices I can hopefully continue to live a balanced work/life system.

I had a wonderful summer last year whilst many probably missed it stuck in an office chasing their mortgage…….