House Price Crash Forum

Minimum wage to rise to £11.44 an hour

cdd

HOLA441
36 minutes ago, Johnno1167 said:

It is indeed a good debate. My concern on reliance can be demonstrated by a recent road trip when one of my team agreed to drive me “ up north”. 1 hour in, this 35 yr olds phone died just after we got on M1. So, no satnav. Very quickly, he became disorientated . We were on M1 heading to Leeds .  Despite reassurance that since it being a nice sunny early morning , and the sun was to our right, meaning it was in the east, logic had it that we were indeed travelling in the right direction, north . 
A computer says no meltdown moment followed. Had to pull in to a service station and get my phone out of the boot as plan B ( I had left it in my laptop case).

we got back on the road..  really good  employee btw.. so I asked him about map reading . “Why do you need to read a map” was the reply ? Ok.  What about your house , do you ever do any fixing stuff ?  Nope . Gets someone in for small jobs and to mow the grass .  What food do you like to cook ?  “ Why cook, can get everything in need ready made …. “.

anyhow, good trip and meeting was had .  I thought it a good example of a really smart guy , subcontracting everything out , reducing his ability to be self determined / learning to make mistakes and the great buzz when you fix them etc …. 

Yep and that's a perfect example of where over reliance and too much outsourcing of your brain has left a person crippled of normal practical skills.

In *no* way was I ever advocating for anyone to do that. Use the tool to help you solve a problem faster, where appropriate - but learn from it and also engage your brain in the collaboration. Many times I've 'argued' with the LLM that they havent considered X, or Y etc in the response and that there might be a better way to solve the problem. 

Partially indeed, that might be down to my original question/prompt not being specific enough, but sometimes it's just down to how the thing works. Turning your brain off from being able to differentiate that is again, not something I was ever advocating.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
4 hours ago, Stewy said:

Due to one-off effects. 

I would say it is due to multiple effects, most of which could persist and even magnify. There are so many it is like picking plums from a tree just bursting with ripe fruit, any one of the many geo-political/political threats at the moment could cause inflation and stress in the debt system meaning that mortgages could shoot up at any time crippling millions of debt zombies.

The day the EU implodes will be a bloodbath on the markets.

https://www.politico.eu/article/geert-wilders-is-the-eus-worst-nightmare/

HOLA443
13 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

Yeah the early 2000s looked insane for house price growth, what caused it? Was it the events that led to the financial crash? Loose lending and extra disposable income that was put into houses? - I've seen 3 bed houses near me that nearly doubled in value between 1999 and 2002, which is insane!

In addition to the answers already given

• Look at graphs like the one under my user name. Between 1989 and 1999 houses didn't go up at all (in actual £s).
  • In the mid 1990s any discussion on house prices would have centred on negative equity, repossessions, and whether house prices might ever go up again. 
  • In 2000 prices were rising noticeably. Fear of missing out meant people who had been sat on their wallets watching while prices dropped suddenly decided it was the right time to buy. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_feedback
  • To reinforce that even more the early noughties was when buy to let really began to take off. From something that was likely to lose you money houses became magic money trees as the likes of Fergus Wilson spotted early.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fergus_and_Judith_Wilson image.thumb.jpeg.0ebbdaae1cf2e61911a5eacdfff2c044.jpeg
Edited by TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack
grammar

HOLA444

BCP Council equates living wage rise to 120 job losses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-67496887

A council facing a £44m budget deficit says the announced increase in the National Living Wage has widened its financial blackhole by £5.6m.

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Council is proposing a number of cuts amid fears of a bankruptcy notice.

Finance councillor Mike Cox said the cost of a minimum wage rise in April would be equivalent to 120 job losses.

At a cabinet meeting, councillors unanimously voted to approve a targeted voluntary redundancy scheme for staff.

Delivering BCP's mid-term financial position on Wednesday, Mr Cox said the government's announcement to increase the National Living Wage by an "inflation-busting 9.8%" would "increase our 2024/25 budget gap by £5.6m".

"This is equivalent to 120 additional job losses or withdrawing the whole of our cultural grant four times over," he said.

"We must now aim for £50m, not £44m."

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
On 11/22/2023 at 9:49 PM, Flat Bear said:

You make a very interesting point Stewy.

I think it's more likely either Hunt is casting the die with the oly hope the tories have to win the election is a give away and get back into power before the effect hits the economy and if they don't the hand grenade goes off in the start of labour turn and the tories blame same old labour.