House Price Crash Forum

Do you own (with or without mortgage) one or more houses?

HPC House ownership  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own (with or without mortgage) one or more houses?

• Yes
    • No

HOLA441
5 hours ago, robbingXpat said:

Our French hideaway would cost 400-500% more in the UK than in France! (CRAZY UK 'values').

In the 1990s there was lots of talk about buying in France. We used to get a French property newspaper regularly come through the door.

Someone recalled a conversation with a Frenchman about a run down cottage that had just been sold. His comment was "It's ridiculous isn't it. You could buy a decent new car for that".

You do need to qualify what part of the U.K. you are taking about. Since my Uncle lived there, in a similar bungalow to mine I know that the difference between Christchurch and Selston was/is about 300%.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 22/07/2023 at 14:50, PeanutButter said:

Do you have EU passports?

No, UK passports (made in the EU!).

Been a holiday hideaway for 20 years, hopefully sell up next year.

Travelling (90/180 Brexit rules) and old age means it's a much less attractive asset, sadly.

HOLA443
On 22/07/2023 at 18:43, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

In the 1990s there was lots of talk about buying in France. We used to get a French property newspaper regularly come through the door.

Someone recalled a conversation with a Frenchman about a run down cottage that had just been sold. His comment was "It's ridiculous isn't it. You could buy a decent new car for that".

You do need to qualify what part of the U.K. you are taking about. Since my Uncle lived there, in a similar bungalow to mine I know that the difference between Christchurch and Selston was/is about 300%.  

From the road it looks like a bungalow on a shallow tump, it's actually an upside down design. Upstairs is 3 beds, kitchen, cloaks, bathroom, lounge diner. Underneath, a huge garage, 4th bed, big 'summer kitchen', laundry, shower room, and big conservatory. All on a plot of 1 & 1/2 acres, purchased in 2003 (Paid off UK mortgage in 1999) for less than £100K. Current value? we'll decorate this year and get some idea from agents next spring. Fully furnished, no room in our small, modern, UK abode, so we'll either sell fully furnished (+ sit on mower, washing machine, etc.) or we'll have to consider other options! 

20091218z.JPG

CNV00178.JPG

HOLA444
20 minutes ago, robbingXpat said:

From the road it looks like a bungalow on a shallow tump, it's actually an upside down design. Upstairs is 3 beds, kitchen, cloaks, bathroom, lounge diner. Underneath, a huge garage, 4th bed, big 'summer kitchen', laundry, shower room, and big conservatory. All on a plot of 1 & 1/2 acres, purchased in 2003 (Paid off UK mortgage in 1999) for less than £100K. Current value? we'll decorate this year and get some idea from agents next spring. Fully furnished, no room in our small, modern, UK abode, so we'll either sell fully furnished (+ sit on mower, washing machine, etc.) or we'll have to consider other options! 

20091218z.JPG

CNV00178.JPG

Hello to a fellow BCP resident, funny are house is the same looks like a bungalow  but is a 3 storey split level near coypond in the upper gardens.