House Price Crash Forum

Shoulda rented....

HOLA441

why bother having kids, it`s only your hormones telling you you need to recreate. 

seeing the way life is now i consider it irresponsible, unless you are minted of course and have the funds to buy them homes each when they turn 21.

40 here i am probably too old now anyway.

HOLA442
3 hours ago, malk said:

[I hope this doesn't come across as antagonistic, certainly not intended that way.]

It's an interesting concept of freedom where you're essentially constrained into picking a partner that's younger than you and also living with your parents until 35. I don't have a problem with anyone taking this decision given the background situation but it surely doesn't describe freedom?

I've lived in London for nearly a decade and am now 35 with a second kid on the way. We've lived in rented accommodation the whole time and saving hasn't been simple, particularly as I wasn't willing to forgo a large part of my youth living in austerity. So I've pissed a load of brass away on booze, been skiing most years, took a three week holiday on the other side of the world before the first bairn came. Does that mean I'm further away from buying a house? Sure but I wouldn't change given my time again.

I've also had lots of coffees from Pret. I have fewer now having bought a very nice vacuum cup from Klean Kanteen but still, meh.

We'll keep renting, having fun and waiting for prices to come back to some level of normality. If they don't come back to normality I'll sharpen a pitchfork and join the revolution. The houses are there, in the long term there's an easy way or a hard way for the people to use them. Which is which is for others to decide.

I remember that my Dad bought his first house, a three-bed mid terrace in the town he grew up in, on the single income of a 23-year-old electrician. He worked a good few extra shifts but went on the lash a lot too. Most of his friends didn't work as many extra shifts and bought their first houses with partners or a few years later.  That'd be nice.

Pitchfork solution aside, we're moving away from the South East in the not too distant future. We'll end up in a nice market town with good schools and buy a terraced house on a nice street. We'll then pay it off in 5-10 years depending on how much we work and how much quality time we spend with and without the kids.

Good luck with that. The yoof are all too busy with their phones to revolt. There's a reason the working class has nothing. It's because they're all too busy fighting each other over the scraps thrown to them. Divide and rule.

police.jpg

HOLA443
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

why bother having kids, it`s only your hormones telling you you need to recreate. 

seeing the way life is now i consider it irresponsible, unless you are minted of course and have the funds to buy them homes each when they turn 21.

It's only hormones telling us we need to eat and breathe.  But agree with the overall point and it's not like there is a shortage of people on this planet.

HOLA444
HOLA445
12 hours ago, longgone said:

I was 39 when I had first one. Felt like you at the time but my wife wanted it. They are grown up now and looking back the children were the only thing in my life really worth doing. Making money and so on, OK nothing wrong with it, but children are a permanent achievement if that's the right word.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I was 39 when I had first one. Felt like you at the time but my wife wanted it. They are grown up now and looking back the children were the only thing in my life really worth doing. Making money and so on, OK nothing wrong with it, but children are a permanent achievement if that's the right word.

i understand that, for me though i would need some serious wedge behind me before i would go up that road. and obviously a good woman. sadly neither of those are looking to be coming anytime soon.  it`s not so important for men anyway even at 50 + you can still have them suitable wife and money aside ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448