House Price Crash Forum

Civil service salary negotiation

HOLA441

Hi all,

I am in the process of being selected for a role with the civil service (SEO) and wondering if there are any civil servants on here who can help.

The job was advertised with a salary stated as c.£37800. I have an informal offer subject to security checks etc but no mention of salary yet.

A bit of research reveals that external candidates (like me) placed into the civil service start at the bottom of the scale. 

Again info on the net appears to suggest that the scale ranges £34000 to £39000 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pay-scales-for-executive-officers-in-the-home-office/pay-scales-for-both-higher-executive-officer-and-senior-executive-officer-in-the-home-office

or even

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/civil-service-executive-officer#salary

As it is, the advertised salary is about 20% below the current salary I draw,  but at that level, I would still join because of the pension on offer and more secure nature of the job (Have had enough of contracting over the past 15 years with 3 month visibility/ certainty at any given time - will be 45 this year and priorities in life have changed !!).

Is there any leeway on salary negotiation in anyone's experience of civil service at this level of entry ? Would an offer of £34000 pa be considered 'C. £37800' 

I guess I can wait a few weeks more and find out for myself but will be useful to have your inputs for when I get to that stage.

HOLA442
50 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

Hi all,

I am in the process of being selected for a role with the civil service (SEO) and wondering if there are any civil servants on here who can help.

The job was advertised with a salary stated as c.£37800. I have an informal offer subject to security checks etc but no mention of salary yet.

A bit of research reveals that external candidates (like me) placed into the civil service start at the bottom of the scale. 

Again info on the net appears to suggest that the scale ranges £34000 to £39000 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pay-scales-for-executive-officers-in-the-home-office/pay-scales-for-both-higher-executive-officer-and-senior-executive-officer-in-the-home-office

or even

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/civil-service-executive-officer#salary

As it is, the advertised salary is about 20% below the current salary I draw,  but at that level, I would still join because of the pension on offer and more secure nature of the job (Have had enough of contracting over the past 15 years with 3 month visibility/ certainty at any given time - will be 45 this year and priorities in life have changed !!).

Is there any leeway on salary negotiation in anyone's experience of civil service at this level of entry ? Would an offer of £34000 pa be considered 'C. £37800' 

I guess I can wait a few weeks more and find out for myself but will be useful to have your inputs for when I get to that stage.

Unless you are exceptional  (band 1-8) then you'll have to suck [it] up the Civil Service payscale like the rest of them (police, teachers, nurses etcetera). After 5 years you'll be in the right grade with pay commensurate with your experience, a pension pot starting to be the envy of your non-public sector peers and flexi-time.

15 years ago I managed to get pay far above that of other clerical posts in my area (Telford) that was achieved with dumb additional responsibility such as being in charge of the rota for a number of people, incidently I garnered sexual favours from a few burds by scheduling them in less horrible non-work (contact centre) and putting them in training blocks or other skives. Best of both worlds. Before I jacked it in I reduced my hours to fit 3 days a week and my pay was the same (full-time) as when I started.

In short you'll fly up in no time..

HOLA443
HOLA444

I had thought about maybe taking a civil service  job on for the last 20 years of my working life.

The thing that puts me off is the CS total inability to recognise, evaluate and pay for technical skills.

I got my arm twisted to go to a couple of interviews regarding a position where they were desperately short of people and where in big trouble in far as getting a handle on it. I could not even get anywhere with my technical interviewer, he was clueless. So were the rest of the team.

HOLA445
HOLA446
23 hours ago, developer said:

Public sector jobs are really cozy compared to the private sector. I hear a lot of stories of people with very easy going responsibilities.

I am sure there are the opposite as well, but that wouldnt make a good story :-) Anyway will find out first hand.. 

HOLA447
On 29/07/2017 at 9:41 AM, longtomsilver said:

Unless you are exceptional  (band 1-8) then you'll have to suck [it] up the Civil Service payscale like the rest of them (police, teachers, nurses etcetera). After 5 years you'll be in the right grade with pay commensurate with your experience, a pension pot starting to be the envy of your non-public sector peers and flexi-time.

15 years ago I managed to get pay far above that of other clerical posts in my area (Telford) that was achieved with dumb additional responsibility such as being in charge of the rota for a number of people, incidently I garnered sexual favours from a few burds by scheduling them in less horrible non-work (contact centre) and putting them in training blocks or other skives. Best of both worlds. Before I jacked it in I reduced my hours to fit 3 days a week and my pay was the same (full-time) as when I started.

In short you'll fly up in no time..

I think that counts as institutionalised sexual abuse. Quick get them a claims lawyer!

• 2 months later...
HOLA448

Archived