HOLA442
HOLA443

National Institute of Economic and Social research

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/pubs/searchdetail.p...blicationID=960

Friday, 27th January, 2006

"The housing market remains overvalued in the order of 20 per cent"

1% tax on value to replace council tax

http://society.guardian.co.uk/publicfinanc...1696207,00.html

It echoes some of what is being discussed on the Tax thread. Good to know we can come to the same conclusions as a team of researchers. Only difference is it took us 5 mins, and we did it for free. :rolleyes:

HOLA444
HOLA445

And the rest!

Yes and then go some more

20% is only one years worth of rises and will not get us back to 3.5 X Income and 3.5 comes from a time when we didn't have all these stealth taxes and MIRAS helped pay the loan.

Next they will be saying we are bumping along the botom again, just like they said back in 1992 but will any of you fail for it this time around.

HOLA446

But the real scandal (which nobody has banged on about for a while, so I thought I would put in my 10 cents) is the way they are going to employ thousands more public servants to go round checking whether you have put in decking and revalue your house on the spot.

I noticed someone is upset about nobody having found any 'Tax Abusers'. Personally I can't stand that thread since I think a lot of it is uninformed. But how many pointless surveyors do we need? Its not the surveyors that will be the tax abusers, since they just want to be employed, but the stupid government which in all their grandiose micro planning don't appear to have done any kind of cost analysis (well not that they've advertised anyway). I reckon that any gains will be entirely offset against the cost of employing all those extra people (are there enough qualified surveyors in this country to do that sort of work?)

It will simply discourage decking and encourage people to make sure their house smells like baby poo, since it has been proved time and again that impression is everything.

HOLA447

But the real scandal (which nobody has banged on about for a while, so I thought I would put in my 10 cents) is the way they are going to employ thousands more public servants to go round checking whether you have put in decking and revalue your house on the spot.

I noticed someone is upset about nobody having found any 'Tax Abusers'. Personally I can't stand that thread since I think a lot of it is uninformed. But how many pointless surveyors do we need? Its not the surveyors that will be the tax abusers, since they just want to be employed, but the stupid government which in all their grandiose micro planning don't appear to have done any kind of cost analysis (well not that they've advertised anyway). I reckon that any gains will be entirely offset against the cost of employing all those extra people (are there enough qualified surveyors in this country to do that sort of work?)

It will simply discourage decking and encourage people to make sure their house smells like baby poo, since it has been proved time and again that impression is everything.

Indeed.

The real tax abuser is Gordon Brown. He has managed to make a tax system so complex it requires huge armies of public servants to administer it. Not to mention the countless thousands of private sector accountants and advisers required to sort it all out.

Most of the stupid council jobs are the governments fault as well. They wouldn't need to employ so many people to generate paperwork if there weren't so many pointless rules and initiatives to be followed.