House Price Crash Forum

Blood Pressure : 133 / 73

Sledgehead

HOLA441
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

I might actually give any more testing a miss after reading that !

The first time i decided to do it many years ago i almost gave myself a heart attack as i didn't realise hiking up a hill before it would affect it. Then coz i was worried about it every other time after i shat myself too. :unsure:

Ah-ha I've found Mr CCC's psychological soft point! I knew you had to have one. For many guys it's approaching burds, for others its kn#b size or getting it up or keeping it up or keeping it going or public speaking or commitment (actually that one might be you also), or open spaces, closed spaces, hygiene things, spiders, snakes, water, heights.

None of these sissy things from our tough Scotts lad. You go and have a fear of sphygmomanometers. Most of us are more worried about spelling the f@ckers!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
1 hour ago, ccc said:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/move/an-hour-of-running-may-add-seven-hours-to-your-life.html?_r=0&referer=http://www.drudgereport.com/

How random. Just got sent this 2 mins ago. Interesting stuff even with the standard caveat at the bottom. 

Also this :

Meanwhile, other kinds of exercise also reliably benefited life expectancy, the researchers found, but not to the same degree as running. Walking, cycling and other activities, even if they required the same exertion as running, typically dropped the risk of premature death by about 12 percent. (To make my own biases clear, I run but I also love cycling and I walk my dogs every day.)

Running has cardio benefits w/o the resistance aspects of other exercise like for instance, rowing.

Resistance training is known to increase testosterone levels in men (Resistance Training and Testosterone: 40% Higher Testosterone and -24% Lower Cortisol), but ...

... testosterone is it seems the major reason why your burd's annuity pays poorer rates than yours - it shortens your life - massively:

They found that the average life span for a Korean court eunuch was about 70 years, plus or minus 1.76 years. That was 14.4 to 19.1 years longer than their average non-eunuch contemporaries, who tended to live between 50.9 and 55.6 years

Castration & Life Expectancy: Eunuchs Live Longer Than Other Men, Study Shows

That could well explain why running extends life more than other exercise. Other exercise may well have cardio benefits and metabolic benefits, but it may also up your testosterone, countering the benefits.

Sadly I don't know what to make of that conclusion. I guess I'm gonna be a big fat hypocrite and say, hell, I want to live this way (buff) and hang the consequences, ... and forget that's probably exactly what the guy stuck on the sofa, stuffing his face is saying. I talk health, but I'm really talking about what I want.

If a doctor told me my b@lls were costing the NHS a fortune, would I lop 'em off?

HOLA443
Guest TheBlueCat
On 11/04/2017 at 9:57 AM, Sledgehead said:

Just took my BP: 133/73

Should I be worried?

Oh, perhaps I should add, this was in the middle of a workout. Pulse was 104.

Sorry all you f***ers out there hoping my years of ranting were gonna give me an infarction.

Resting is 103/60.

Not remotely worried if that was in the middle of a workout (or even not actually) - those are great numbers.

HOLA444
6 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Ah-ha I've found Mr CCC's psychological soft point! I knew you had to have one. For many guys it's approaching burds, for others its kn#b size or getting it up or keeping it up or keeping it going or public speaking or commitment (actually that one might be you also), or open spaces, closed spaces, hygiene things, spiders, snakes, water, heights.

None of these sissy things from our tough Scotts lad. You go and have a fear of sphygmomanometers. Most of us are more worried about spelling the f@ckers!

Self created as well !

I'd had it taken at doctors etc numerous times before and no issue. They didn't even tell me the numbers. But this time I'd walked fast up a hill - straight into a supermarket with a free to use one - so strapped myself in just to be nosey. 

Numbers came up so had a look at the info in the wall - ooft !! I'm about to die !!

Then after that it was more down to thinking about it that made it high.

It is quite amazing how quickly your brain can influence something physical like this to such a level. 

Now i have a home one and whenever i do it even though i feel relaxed - the first one is always way higher than the 2nd or 3rd. 

My balls are getting lopped off next :huh:

HOLA445
9 hours ago, ccc said:

My balls are getting lopped off next :huh:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You are the Stifmeister* of HPC. You have responsibilities!

* Stifmeister :- cultural portmanteau for a womanising, drunken, "Jock"**.

** Okay, maybe not that sort of "jock", but it's close enough.

HOLA446
On 4/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, ccc said:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/183287-about-systolic-diastolic-blood-pressure-during-exercise/

Being serious for a minute. Your relatively small difference in systolic pressure between rest and exercise and your strangely large difference (according to this article it should barely change) between diastolic may indicate you have potential issues. 

Quite interesting - i never knew this.

Further to this, I've been looking at the research paper that was the source for this article.

The exercise studied was a cardio-cycling exercise. I was doing upper body resistance as I pointed out. Whilst I have yet to convert the findings into something comparable to my own situation (think I'd actually have to spin to really draw comparisons), I note that weight training USUALLY raises diastolic (as opposed to cardio which usually does not). And here is a rather disturbing example of how:

In fact, one study (McDougall, et al.) which measured the blood pressure response to maximal and near maximal leg press exercises in bodybuilders reported maximal values of 480 mm Hg and 350 mm Hg for systolic and diastolic blood pressure, respectively.  - Hypertension and weight training: secrets for success

So I'm not about to panic yet.

Incidentally I have since that first reading achieved much lower readings for resting as reported elsewhere: 93/63, HR52. Whilst some think 100 systolic is hypotensive, the NHS have come around to labeling only sub-90 as being of concern and only then if you start fainting. Not a problem for me, even with a stiffy, and if you knew me intimately, you'd realise just how impressive that is! B)

HOLA447

Well yes....fasting for 36 hours before your doctors appointment will probably do it.

I`ll make an appointment in about a weeks time with a nurse to have some blood taken in about 10 days and then book an appointment about a week after. Now my BP is 135/90 but it will be 120/80 in a couple of weeks time.

Funny that.

HOLA448

Well, in fact I wrote the above a few days ago expecting my blood pressure to start to normalise.

In spite of doing a fast (20 hours full on and then switching to one meal per day) I`m still at around 145 over 82...

Help...things are not going to plan.

HOLA449
21 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Well, in fact I wrote the above a few days ago expecting my blood pressure to start to normalise.

In spite of doing a fast (20 hours full on and then switching to one meal per day) I`m still at around 145 over 82...

Help...things are not going to plan.

You might be f***ing with your magnesium levels.

Magnesium is needed in BP regulation, allowing the smoothe muscle fibres that surround your arteries to relax (same role it plays in eliminating cramp - if you are cramping, your blood vessels will be as well).

Eat nuts, seeds, greens, dried fruit and bananas (not over-ripe as the complex carbs in the starches will have converted to higher glycemic sugars, likely to increase your BP). Google high magnesium foods for more ideas, and include these as part of your normal eating, rather than just to pass a BP test.

Also, if you are avoiding calories (not a good idea) you might be feeling a bit chillier in the evenings. Being cold can tense you up and raise your BP.

Also if you are hydrating excessively to stave off hunger on this reduced cal thing, that can raise BP.  Not that I'd recommend drinking less. That would be a bad idea, but the effects are something to bear in mind.

Also bear in mind that, depending on what you are eating, BP can fall after a meal. If you were measuring BP after a meal you are no longer having, you might expect and increase in BP. The postprandial lowering of BP is due to the blood supply needed in digestion. Some people even faint after heavy, low glycemic, slow-to-digest meal.

PS : is it normal for you to fast ahead of a BP test?

HOLA4410

Let`s make it clear....my motivation is to keep my driving license ....now and in the future.

My current doctor would like to see me lose my license ....or see me drugged up to the eyeballs.

At the moment my meal consists of Jerusalem Artichokes , spinach and a little curry , vegit.

I`ll try some raisons and bananas ...thanks.

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, council dweller said:

Let`s make it clear....my motivation is to keep my driving license ....now and in the future.

My current doctor would like to see me lose my license ....or see me drugged up to the eyeballs.

At the moment my meal consists of Jerusalem Artichokes , spinach and a little curry , vegit.

I`ll try some raisons and bananas ...thanks.

Your meal sounds about as good as  it gets. Spinach & artichoke are both great sources of Mg.

As for raisins & bananas (my suggestion, I know), how's your insulin response?

Keeping to low glycemic index foods would be a good idea if you are diabetic / pre-diabetic. A couple tablespoons of raisins shouldn't alter blood glucose too much either way, but if you do have trouble regulating blood glucose you might do better to get your magnesium from greens, nuts (cashews, almonds ..) and seeds.

As for passing a BP test, maybe go w/o fluids half a day before hand and make sure you empty your bladder.

Also, keeping warm, even hot, would help. Check out your response to heat first of all. Put your feet in a bowl of water warm enough to make you hotter. Check your BP. If it lowers your BP and you have time, consider buying some heated socks. In any case, wear plenty.

More importantly, I hear you are doing body-weight exercises which is a great idea. Consider other kinds of resistance training as well. Here's a peer-reviewed, two hour a week plan that reduced participants BPs by a whopping 16mmHg : Weight lifting improves blood pressure

HOLA4412

Yes, what`s even better I`ve got several Sq meters of J.U`s in my garden ! Spinach is also going wild. I`m never afraid to save a quid!

Thanks again for advice on emptying bladder...

Also I`ve been doing `Wim Hof`s breathing method`. I`ve been doing it for 3 weeks. Could explain why the top figure is so high whereas the bottom figure is normal.

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, council dweller said:

Yes, what`s even better I`ve got several Sq meters of J.U`s in my garden ! Spinach is also going wild. I`m never afraid to save a quid!

Thanks again for advice on emptying bladder...

Also I`ve been doing `Wim Hof`s breathing method`. I`ve been doing it for 3 weeks. Could explain why the top figure is so high whereas the bottom figure is normal.

Haven't heard of this breathing technique.

Seems to involve controlled hyperventilation, which on face value, all things being equal, might be expected to give rise to hyperoxia.

Tests on healthy, young, individuals subjected to hyperoxia (via pure oxygen) show now effect on central blood pressure.

However, active hyperventillation is clearly a different process to sitting in an oxygen tent. I would imagine it would trigger the same kind of changes that occur naturally during involuntary hyperventilation, itself caused largely by panic.

I haven't read above Wim Hoff so have not seen any evidence to show its efficacy. What's the most persuasive stuff you've read?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, council dweller said:

Read? You mean watched on you tube.`Hyperventilate` and then  (roughly do 90 deep breaths) either try holding you breath or doing push-ups.

I`m sure the number of push ups and length of time you can hold your breath will amaze you.

Or maybe not.

yeah, but we were talking blood pressure, no?

saw him on dr whatever her name is amzing things or somesuch. recall he managed to manipulate adrenaline. not sure that's good for bp?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
57 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Indeed.

But by using breathing techniques I can reduce BP by 10 to 15 points.

I need to check my results.... 

can or have, and for how long?

If I do enough upper body stuff to push my heart rate to ~90bpm, I can force my bp systolic to 120 or somesuch. Two mins later my SBP is back down to 110. Calm thoughts and 5 more mins will have me back in the 90s. So whilst it's possible for me to alter my SBP by 10 to 15 points, it won't stay that way for long.

Presumably you aren't planning on voluntarily hyper-ventilating in the waiting room, so you must be saying this has a reasonably long lasting effect, yes?

How long does it take to 'get good' at this manipulation?

Wouldn't it be easier, if fiddling a test is your aim, to just take over the counter diuretics?

HOLA4420

As I`ve said on this or another thread...breath in and hold it for 5 seconds, breath out and hold it for 5 seconds too. Doing this `appears` to lower BP.

I`II let you know after I come back from the doc.

By the way, the wife is training to be a nurse and should qualify as a nurse in a few weeks. Just thought I`d mention that....!

HOLA4421
38 minutes ago, council dweller said:

As I`ve said on this or another thread...breath in and hold it for 5 seconds, breath out and hold it for 5 seconds too. Doing this `appears` to lower BP.

I`II let you know after I come back from the doc.

By the way, the wife is training to be a nurse and should qualify as a nurse in a few weeks. Just thought I`d mention that....!

That just sounds like deep breathing. Has some guy really managed to put his name to that? Deep breathing is a common way to calm down. It would not surprise me if deep breathing takes a few points off bp.

Just to be clear, I assume you are using a BP meter to confirm this apparent phenomenon? And if so, why do you need to wait til you've seen the gp?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived