House Price Crash Forum

Liverpool - Capital Of Culture!

Victor

HOLA441

Take a look at this rubbish - who do they think they are trying to kid?

capital of culture rubbish

Does anyone else apart from Sutton Kersh think that this Capital of Culture nonsense will keep Liverpool house prices up!!!

I went into Whitegates today and quite frankly could not believe the asking prices in the Woolton/Gateacre area. According to our EA - prices will definitely not go down this year - she obviously thinks that over-valuing properties is going to keep the prices up - I don't think anything over £100k is selling now. My house incidentally is up for sale. Had an offer £6k under - very tempted to take it [we are in the cheap end of the market - house up for £86k!]. Houses like this were going for £30k three years ago!

HOLA442

The Capital of Culture award resulted in a surge of interest in the Liverpool city centre property market. Investors falling over themselves to snap up the bargains, but how many would have gone on to make anything from it? I mean, ok they bought cheap, but what are they doing with them? I can't imagine the rental market is that great in certain areas. Plenty of new student accomodation being built which I'm sure students would prefer over a crummy terrace in Kensington. I'm a bit new to all this so the answers might be obvious to others, but I'm confused

If you accept the offer what will you do - will you buy again or rent?

HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

Take a look at this rubbish - who do they think they are trying to kid?

capital of culture rubbish

Does anyone else apart from Sutton Kersh think that this Capital of Culture nonsense will keep Liverpool house prices up!!!

I went into Whitegates today and quite frankly could not believe the asking prices in the Woolton/Gateacre area. According to our EA - prices will definitely not go down this year - she obviously thinks that over-valuing properties is going to keep the prices up - I don't think anything over £100k is selling now. My house incidentally is up for sale. Had an offer £6k under - very tempted to take it [we are in the cheap end of the market - house up for £86k!]. Houses like this were going for £30k three years ago!

I hate all Estate Agents and Sutton Kersh are TOO big in Liverpool. SW just overprice and are useless but SK do seem to adjust to sell. The problem is they overprice by 20% then drop 5% so everyone thinks their getting a bargain. Pay what YOU want to pay and not what they WANT you to pay. Hold tight.

As far as your offer is concerned? As you may know - we are convinced that property prices WILL drop. If you check your street on www.houseprices.co.uk how does 80K compare to the previous sales? I bet its probably the NEW ceiling price? If so, then I would accept the offer.

Asking prices are not worth a 'thomas-the-tank'. Its sold prices that you need to compare. You have NOT lost 6K on the sale, it was a speculative asking price.

Good luck whatever you do

TB

Another rant - whilst I am here. Pissed off with the Woolton/Allerton EA's marketing properties as Woolton and Gateacre when they are quite clearly HALEWOOD and KNOWSLEY!!

KNOBS!

HOLA445

You can blame this all on the Beatles. Liverpool was a declining city even as far back as the 1950s and it was only the Beatles that kept the city alive whilst its industry vanished and its infrastructure deteriorated. If John Lennon never existed then Liverpool would have ended up like Sunderland and Hull.

HOLA446

Hi all you scousers - or not as the case may be. Anyway I'm new so be kind. I went onto the Whitegates site for Woolton and counted 42 NO CHAINS out of a possible 110 houses for sale. What do you make of that - do you think people are freaking and trying to get out before a crash. I believe that people are now starting to talk amongst themselves. Actually heard someone on the bus this morning saying that the market is f......d. But asking prices are increasing. As I said on the newbie thread I think nethouseprices and co might actually speed up a crash as people might not be so gullible when they find out how much the houses are actually going for.

Also I agree with Teddy Boy - houses in Halewood classed as Woolton. Surely that is a breach of the Trades Description act!

HOLA447

Hi all you scousers - or not as the case may be. Anyway I'm new so be kind. I went onto the Whitegates site for Woolton and counted 42 NO CHAINS out of a possible 110 houses for sale. What do you make of that - do you think people are freaking and trying to get out before a crash. I believe that people are now starting to talk amongst themselves. Actually heard someone on the bus this morning saying that the market is f......d. But asking prices are increasing. As I said on the newbie thread I think nethouseprices and co might actually speed up a crash as people might not be so gullible when they find out how much the houses are actually going for.

Also I agree with Teddy Boy - houses in Halewood classed as Woolton. Surely that is a breach of the Trades Description act!

Welcome by the way :)

I think the problem with the EA's in Liverpool. Whitegates, Roberts, Venmores. Suttons etc. , They do tend to move properties around. SO if nothing is selling in Aigburth then they will market it in Woolton etc.

As far as the Liverpool market is going. The statement of nothing selling and they STILL Put up the prices will be their shortcoming! WE HAVE THE INTERNET NOW YOU FOOLS!!! We can check on sold prices - we are not ALL STUPID!!!!

I am looking for a house for around 120-130K purchase price. As far as the SOLD PRICES i.e. The CEILING PRICES go that means that anything up to £180K advertised price is my market. Yes!! Thats right! The theiving b@stards will market a property at £180K even though the last sold was £120K 3 months ago!!!!

Spread the word! Tell everyone looking for a house to consult www.houseprices.co.uk and PRINT OUT the last sold prices before going for your viewing. Then IF THE LAZY B'stards can be arsed turning up for a viewing ask them "How can you market this as this price when one sold in XXXXX/05 for £xxxxxx and that is the Ceiling price". Even better, say it when the seller is in the room.

This achieves 3 things!

1) You feel a great sense of satisfaction as the slimeball feels about an inch high

2) The buyer gets a feel for WHY the house prices are SO HIGH!! Which effects them as they need to buy one too. Make sure you tell them to check sold prices on the one your gonna buy.

3) The EA goes back into the office and tells the anecdote. Continue doing this and soon they will realise that the Liverpool people are on-to-them.

There is NOTHING HOLDING UP THIS MARKET. The EA's Put a £120K on the market for £40K more and if someone knocks £20K off they think they have a bargain. The truth is, you have raised the ceiling price by 20K!!!

PAY WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY! CHECK www.houseprices.co.uk and DONT OFFER MORE THAN THE CEILING PRICE! We need to drive this market DOWN. Whilst there is no sales we cannot force it down. But hopefully they will get desperate and drop prices to get volumes.

12-18months and I expect askiiing prices in Liverpool to be at LEAST 20% Down. Becuase their ASKING PRICE TO SOLD PRICE IS 20% OVER ANYWAY!!! :angry:

TB

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA448

My god - you are right. They are now marketing Calderwood Park at £15k-£20k more than the one that is still not under offer. I have telephoned Sutton Kersh and asked if this was a misprint or a joke. I was told that prices are still rising - what crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then this morning I got a Rightmove new property for Calderwood Park - again priced at £140k plus! Is it the vendors or the EAs or a mixture of both. It's going to take ages to break this cycle. Prices are now higher than at the boom time in 2004! But there are no buyers. I regularly trawl the websites and the number of reduced properties is growing all the time. Then something like this happens. My god I despair - I cannot believe that people are still buying - what the hell is going on. I'm just waiting to see what people are actually paying - when the hell are the up to date Land Registry figures due out.

Check out the link calderwood park

HOLA449

My god - you are right. They are now marketing Calderwood Park at £15k-£20k more than the one that is still not under offer. I have telephoned Sutton Kersh and asked if this was a misprint or a joke. I was told that prices are still rising - what crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then this morning I got a Rightmove new property for Calderwood Park - again priced at £140k plus! Is it the vendors or the EAs or a mixture of both. It's going to take ages to break this cycle. Prices are now higher than at the boom time in 2004! But there are no buyers. I regularly trawl the websites and the number of reduced properties is growing all the time. Then something like this happens. My god I despair - I cannot believe that people are still buying - what the hell is going on. I'm just waiting to see what people are actually paying - when the hell are the up to date Land Registry figures due out.

Check out the link calderwood park

DONT DESPAIR!!!

Its obvious what they are doing. They are still looking for the suckers. ASKING PRICES are not worth a sh*t!

Imagine a house that is priced at £100K. The market is dead and is about to go into a major slump.

The best thing they can do is talk the market UP so lets up it to £130K.

The fools that dont do ANY research MAY fall for it and pay Full Asking Price. This sets a new ceiling price. SO then they have a £130K house so they up it to £160K and so forth.....

Let's say no one falls for it and offers £120K? They think they have got a bargain but the agent still made 20K on a speculative price.

Let's say that no one buys the property at all. When the slump comes they can KNOCK 30% off the asking price that was speculative and then it would be back to the true value. They argue it's been heavily reduced.

Ignore all of this! Check the last sold price. See the trend - if its less than the ceiling price then they are coming down. Either way - DO NOT OFFER ABOVE CEILING PRICE. Do not get emotionally attached to a property - the EA's play on this.

LIVERPOOL will crash BIG TIME imho.

I think it will drop 30% below SOLD CEILING PRICES (1-4 years) and judging by the way our EA's are setting their asking prices this could be a total of 50-60% from todays asking prices!!! In a slump price fall JUST as quickk as they rose - so 20% per year is not impossible. They are just making the height they drop from higher. Either way - they are still gonna hit the ground.

BE PATIENT AND DONT LET THE B@STARDS WEAR YOU DOWN!

TB

REF: CALDERWOOD PARK

I have checked out SOLD PRICES.

Sale Date Price Type Tenure Map Address

1 08/11/2005 £126,500 Semi F/H Map 63, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

2 13/07/2005 £128,000 Semi F/H Map 55, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

3 08/07/2005 £129,950 Semi F/H Map 22, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

4 07/01/2005 £125,000 Semi F/H Map 54, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

5 05/11/2004 £125,950 Semi F/H Map 59, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

6 22/10/2004 £126,500 Semi F/H Map 28, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

7 15/10/2004 £115,000 Semi F/H Map 29, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

8 02/08/2004 £118,500 Semi F/H Map 62, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

9 01/07/2004 £134,950 Det. F/H Map 25, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

10 08/04/2004 £97,000 Semi F/H Map 51, Calderwood Park, Liverpool, Merseyside, L27 0YE

The asking price is speculative.

If you want to live here then offer no more than £125K and stick to it - ITS A FAIR PRICE!!!!

If you want to wait 12 months Im sure you will get these under the £120K tax threshold.

Bear in mind - It does not matter that IR's are low at the moment. Your debt is for 25 YEARS!! Keep your lending to a minimum as IR's will rise over the next 25 years and good old GB is keeping wage inflation down.

Goodluck!

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA4410

yes, this guy Phil Lawton really is a wan**r.

Estate agent Phil Lawton, from Sutton Kersh estate agents, said: "While I would agree that a house price fall would be damaging to the national economy it won't happen on Merseyside.

I've allready emailed him in not so many words that

he will burn at the stake.

Go on send him your comments too, the devil is at:

philip.lawton@suttonkersh.co.uk

Let the truth be known..

HOLA4411

yes, this guy Phil Lawton really is a wan**r.

I've allready emailed him in not so many words that

he will burn at the stake.

Go on send him your comments too, the devil is at:

philip.lawton@suttonkersh.co.uk

Let the truth be known..

:lol:

And Liverpool will NOT come from 3-0 down at half time :)

Bear in mind.... this is COMMON SENSE. There is NOT the wage structure to support Liverpool prices. Even the Southerners on (50K) are amazed at the prices!!!

HOLA4412

At Least Liverpool did not make it to the UK No. 1 fattest city:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01022006/140/grub...-uncovered.html

Bradford is the UK's fattest city after a survey found its residents exist on a diet of fast food and booze.It also found they do little exercise and spend most of their spare time slumped in front of the TV.
Liverpool
, Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow also rank high in the obesity league.

HOLA4413

Anyone noticed that the cheaper end of the market in Liverpool is dropping sharply - but the middle i.e. semis are increasing madly [may be because there is more of demand do you think]. For Sale boards are popping up everywhere though - some with two agents. I reckon the market is going to stagnate because most people are as thick as s..t and won't drop their prices. No one seems to have any perception that their house is going to drop in value and no talking to them will make them realise that it is only a matter of time.

People in general are now noticing houses that have been on sale for months and months and months - no viewings - but no one is dropping their prices. Houses keep on coming off the market and going back on a couple of months later! Often they are empty. I hope all the greedy b.....a.ds are left swinging - very few houses are priced realistically - and even those that are aren't selling.

I just about remember the first crash - at the time people in Liverpool weren't too affected as prices were low compared to southern prices - but this time Liverpool is going to suffer badly.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Been watching the house sales, in and around Liverpool, based on www.ononemap.com.

Results as follows:

ONONEMAP.jpg

It's clearly showing that although I have only been selective on the Liverpool side that hardly anything is selling. Unfortunately CH62 and CH63 in Wirral are selling quite a few :(

I think Wirral needs to slow down - believe they were UP 11% last year compared to Liverpools 2%!!!! Think the mickey mousers are moving over the water??? I know I was considering it last year!

TB

post-2719-1139091596.jpg

HOLA4416

hi all - seen it all now - house in Rickman Way.

Look at this

3 agents and £6000 cashback! :D Not to mention they'll have to take an offer on the asking price. According to the Liverpool Echo tonight housing market is on the up again with approximately 10% more buyers than 2 months ago. Doesn't look like anyone's buying this though!!! Also massive reductions across all sectors. Loads of houses and flats that have been in the to let column for months and months. I've noticed houses that were up for rent now on sale. Looking good :D

HOLA4417

Been watching the house sales, in and around Liverpool, based on www.ononemap.com.

Results as follows:

ONONEMAP.jpg

It's clearly showing that although I have only been selective on the Liverpool side that hardly anything is selling. Unfortunately CH62 and CH63 in Wirral are selling quite a few :(

I think Wirral needs to slow down - believe they were UP 11% last year compared to Liverpools 2%!!!! Think the mickey mousers are moving over the water??? I know I was considering it last year!

TB

Alright Ted,

Check this out in relation to LR figures produced by my chums in B`Head ;)

Liverpool well down on sales volume sales price harly moved. Party well and truly over. Fire sale in one major development soon, domino effect thereafter IMHO.

http://forum.firstrung.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116

QUOTE (Jason @ Feb 8 2006, 06:52 AM)

There are huge problems with the data:

+ The data is delayed, and WILL NOT include all sales in the mentioned quarter

+ The data is not mixed adjusted

Bascially it proves what I have been thinking, the rises of late are mainly Scotland and Northern Ireland!

Jason! There were broken links at LR yesterday now fixed! Anyhow, volumes in l`pool and Wirral are down significantly.Quickest link is through here:

http://firstrung.co.uk/page.asp?pagekey=60

L`pool Oct-Dec 2005 sales-1673

L`pool Oct-Dec 2004 sales-2447 Down what 32-33%?

Wirral Oct-Dec 2005 sales-1563

Wirral Oct-Dec 2004 sales-1292 Down 18%?

The L`pool fall is quite significant given the massive over development over the past 2 years.

HOLA4418

According to the guy on "How to be a Property Developer" (Channel 5 - Tuesday 8pm) the housing market in Liverpool crashed last year. Hence the reason the two muppets on there failed to make any money on their £250k investment. I've come to accept that the media just lies. I guess it's all about advertising revenues. THe BBC lies because it doesn't want another TOry government.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I agree quite confusing. Though I must point out that quite a few didn't sell or were sold later [whatever that means!]. Maybe a few idiots believe the hype of late - I have noticed a couple of sale boards lately too - but then again I don't know the sale prices yet!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421

Can you believe it Venmore Thomas and Jones are opening a new Estate Agents in Woolton Village with 2 full-time Estate Agents! I've been waiting for them to close - not open up more. Could be desperation though? What do you all think.

By the way prices are still through the roof - seeing the odd 'reasonably priced' house though [but when I say reasonably priced I still mean ridiculously overpriced]. Echo house section getting bigger every week.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

I hate to admit this but houses are selling again. How can this be happening. Houses I wouldn't give 80k for going for £110k. Houses sold in November last year up for sale again now £20k dearer [i know they mightn't get what they ask - but they might get close]. Why is this happening. In a city with such low wages I cannot understand it. I thought it was downhill all the way from last summer - now this! Last year was so flat and bargains could be had then. I suppose all the spin must be working. People are so thick - they definitely believe what they read. :(

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'm looking at selling in the next few months, hopefully before Liverpool's market goes belly up. I'll be undercutting the closest house which is up for sale (£107k approx 30 secs away, they of course are dreaming) by 17-20k. So hopefully it'll go quickly, if I don't get any viewings I will be drop the price pretty much straight away.

Wish me luck :)

HOLA4425

Good luck Nem - I hope you can sell - do it now - things seem to be shifting especially at the lower end of the market. The market in Liverpool is all over the place at the moment. I have noticed quite a few houses in South Liverpool selling - mostly the ones under £100k. I'm after a house in L16 - currently priced between £140k to £165k [could be bought for £60-£70k a few years ago]. I'm quite sick that I've missed that boat - but hell you can't live in the past. A friend of mine is selling at the moment [£83k] - she has got 1st time buyers - and says short term loss for long-term gain as she can see the market falling in the next 12-18 months. I really do hope so - who is buying! I don't know anyone on massive salaries.