House Price Crash Forum

London 60+ Free Unlimited Transport To Stay, Younger People To See Fare Rises

stuckin2up2down

HOLA441

We are talking here about * 60 to 65 year olds who get an additional benefit in London via free travel which they don't get elsewhere. Not frail grannies in their 80s long since retired. (and don't live in London)

Edited by olliegog

HOLA442

We are talking here about 60 to 65 year olds who get an additional benefit in London via free travel which they don't get elsewhere. Not frail grannies in their 80s long since retired.

Many are still working and don't need the benefit. In my office we have two bosses on £100k plus owning £1m plus houses in their sixties getting free travel while our cleaners on minimum wage who can barely pay their rent have to pay fares rising massively year on year by inflation.

That to me doesn't seem fair - clearly you disagree. The ones being discriminated against are the poor and young.

Let the retired elderly over state retirement age keep it - not those under 66 who are still working.

Exactly! The OP was about someone that was perfectly able to keep working but retired and now claims this 4k a year tax free benefit.

Just bonkers, JSA get it 1/2 price, low paid get it full price and loads that are wealthy enough to retire and in good health and choose not to work get it free.

HOLA443

I agree that it's very unfair that people who could afford to pay, like me and Mr B, get it for free.

OTOH, something that's hardly ever mentioned - certainly around here, it keeps an awful lot of cars off the roads and out of the car parks. We use our cars far less since we had the wrinkly passes and I know others similar.

If necessary we would certainly pay quite a bit each year for the sheer convenience of it. However we are not working (at least not at anything paid) so are not travelling daily at peak times, not that you can use the trains before 9.30 am anyway.

In areas where people get free bus passes but never use them because public transport is so dire, I suppose they may think it unfair that we have a free and very convenient substitute for the car. Friends and relatives who live in rural areas only ever use their bus passes when staying with us.

HOLA444
HOLA445

It should be free for everyone. There's no such thing as Public Transport any more and there hasn't been for a long time.

These companies take over £6Bn each year in Public subsidies via taxes and then raise the ticket prices way beyond the level of inflation every year, thus making everyone pay twice, (the Great British way) yet we all continue to just take it and have a moan.

It'd be better if everyone refused outright to pay, can't really see much resistance to it to be honest given how many people use the services each day. I reckon they'd easily outnumber the "Guards".

The Poll shouldn't be free travel for over 60's, it should be free travel for everyone or at the very least to those who commute to and from work each day and can prove that that's what they use it for.

Those who don't contribute to the system and never have should have to pay to use the service at the point of entry, (Migrants/Benefit Scumbags etc).