House Price Crash Forum

Best Schools & House Prices

HOLA441

Best state schools becoming more fashionable/acceptable/desirable, school catchment areas can drive house prices.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jan/01/tatler-guide-best-state-schools

Sounds plausible, but does it really stack up? Let's say it costs £100k to privately educate one child, so a well-off two children household could notionally afford to spend £200k more on a house if it's in the right catchment area. But in the south east house prices are so stratospheric that you might be better off swallowing the private education costs and settling for a cheaper area?

HOLA442

People just believe its not a cost...they'll get it back (and more) when they sell.

Even if that works out (debatable/unlikely over any decent timeframe in a zero growth, low inflation environment) I think i'd rather spend less on a bigger house somewhere 80 miles from London than more on a little terrace 50 miles from London. Only live once and spending the entire school years in cramped conditions seems a bit silly.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I went to a not so good state school.....anyone left got a place, but it no longer exists and nobody in my class went to university...beat that.

Edit to say....they sold the land for housing, must have been worth more.

Edit edit to say.....just looked an ex council house close by costs iro £300k to £450k all depending......was as I recall cost about £30K to buy at the time, not that I ever lived in a council house....many of my best freinds did though, some still do, not all purchased them because their parents didn't earn enough.

Edit again.....for the record one still rents the council house they have lived in for over 30 years....the other rents it back to the council they bought it from for well over a thousand pounds a month that pays the repayment mortgage on a nicer house in another place.....

Edit edit again......what is learned from the story is education is not everything....savvyness and being at the right place at the right time can be more profitable.

Edited by winkie

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest TheBlueCat

Best state schools becoming more fashionable/acceptable/desirable, school catchment areas can drive house prices.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jan/01/tatler-guide-best-state-schools

Sounds plausible, but does it really stack up? Let's say it costs £100k to privately educate one child, so a well-off two children household could notionally afford to spend £200k more on a house if it's in the right catchment area. But in the south east house prices are so stratospheric that you might be better off swallowing the private education costs and settling for a cheaper area?

I did pretty much that in Cambridge. My son had been going to a local state school which, within the space of a year, went right down the toilet. I looked at moving into the catchment of a better school and, to move into a house of about the same size, was going to cost an extra 250K give or take. Private school fees for the 6 years of junior school he had left on the other hand came to around 75K. Of course, with the house, you've got the chance of getting all your money back later if prices hold up but I didn't fancy taking that chance so private school it was.

HOLA448

So how much importance do people place on primary schools?

There are so many primary schools that, to my mind, certainly where I live, it's easy enough to avoid the terrible ones, and deficiencies compared to the very best strike me as minor compared to good parental support

Following that, competitive secondary schools are less catchment sensitive issues since teenage kids can get the bus

Edited by Si1

HOLA449

So how much importance do people place on primary schools?

There are so many primary schools that, to my mind, certainly where I live, it's easy enough to avoid the terrible ones, and deficiencies compared to the very best strike me as minor compared to good parental support

Following that, competitive secondary schools are less catchment sensitive issues since teenage kids can get the bus

Indeed there are 2 key factors; parental support and socio-economic status.

Socio-economic status can be overcome by parental support in individual circumstances (e.g new immigrants children tend to do well despite being poorer, or poorer parents who value education) but on average you can pretty much accurately predict the educational outcomes a child will be most likely to achieve just be looking at their parents income and educational level.

Schools that make a significant impact (either good or bad) compared to what the children would have done anyway are actually fairly rare.

My daughter will be attending the local primary from next September. This will maximise the amount of time she spends with us as a family which I'm sure will benefit her more than shopping around for a very slightly better school miles away.

HOLA4410

Indeed there are 2 key factors; parental support and socio-economic status.

Socio-economic status can be overcome by parental support in individual circumstances (e.g new immigrants children tend to do well despite being poorer, or poorer parents who value education) but on average you can pretty much accurately predict the educational outcomes a child will be most likely to achieve just be looking at their parents income and educational level.

Schools that make a significant impact (either good or bad) compared to what the children would have done anyway are actually fairly rare.

My daughter will be attending the local primary from next September. This will maximise the amount of time she spends with us as a family which I'm sure will benefit her more than shopping around for a very slightly better school miles away.

If I can recall some of your anecdotes correctly, educational achievement is apropos of nothing.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

If I can recall some of your anecdotes correctly, educational achievement is apropos of nothing.

The main thing is to remember just how well stocked the public sector is with middle class educated people, and then ask yourself why some of its biggest cheerleaders argue against educating the poor to the same standards