House Price Crash Forum

Industrial Metal Miners

Will!

HOLA441

I went looking for value in the world of commodities the other month and bought some Kazakhmys shares after deciding that they were somewhat undervalued. They duly fell by another 25%. I'll probably buy some more early next year, although China going pop remains a worry.

Has anyone else dabbled in the world of industrial miners?

HOLA442

I went looking for value in the world of commodities the other month and bought some Kazakhmys shares after deciding that they were somewhat undervalued. They duly fell by another 25%. I'll probably buy some more early next year, although China going pop remains a worry.

Has anyone else dabbled in the world of industrial miners?

Kaz was on my potential buy list at the beginning of 2009 when it was 220. By the time I had the funds I needed it had gone up to the 600s before peaking in 2011 at £16. In some respects watching it rise and fall was a great lesson in itself.

I considered buying it when it was 250 recently, but that memory held me back. I may buy if it goes below 180.... Too much risk.

On the other hand I am underwater by 15% on FXPO (Iron Ore Ukraine), which shows that I still made the same mistake!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't hold any miners directly, but I have exposure through a natural resources fund. Saves trying to learn about, or keep track of, a bunch of companies that are totally outside my knowledge and experience.

Good plan, but I am thinking I will exit all commodity plays apart from oil majors completely soon.

Maybe a dabble with Kaz first.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

'Never sell Shell' - looking cheap at the mo.

Also BP might be a good play on recovery after the court case in US.

Also oil play is

Lamprell - they make rigs in the ME.

Interesting, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I use the Halifax.

which online site would you recommend to use to buy shares from? ive checked some online brokers and the fee's per transaction is pretty hefty - you'd need to make some big gains in share price to make a profit after the approx £25 buy/sell transaction fee.

HOLA4414
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415
  • 9 months later...
HOLA4416
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4417

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-31/iron-ore-s-10-year-low-not-slowing-china-production-push

Miners benefit from low energy prices so I think there might be some real pain if and when the price of oil starts to rise again. Of course, if China does massive QE then there might be a commodity bubble.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Will! said:

I do wonder about buying some SLP.  Are they having problems with increasing industrial action at their mines?  I may be thinking of somewhere else in South Africa.

AFAIK Sylvania Platinum completed a 3 year wage negotiation a few years back which should take them into next year. The workers agreed to a NO STRIKE clause at the time, big penalties if they do. 

HOLA4422
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
On 26/11/2016 at 1:01 PM, longtomsilver said:

I sold out of my ISA holding and only holding 665,000 shares across two SIPPs maybe I should coin a new term self-inflicted poor person :D

But think of the stories you'll be able to tell in your retirement!

Reviewing this thread it looks like I'm a bit obsessed with this but the Chinese moneyball rolls on:

Bloomberg:  China’s Ball of Money Is Rolling Back to Commodities

I like the sub headline:

Hot money has come full circle