House Price Crash Forum
Will!

Industrial Metal Miners

I went looking for value in the world of commodities the other month and bought some Kazakhmys shares after deciding that they were somewhat undervalued. They duly fell by another 25%. I'll probably buy some more early next year, although China going pop remains a worry.

Has anyone else dabbled in the world of industrial miners?

I went looking for value in the world of commodities the other month and bought some Kazakhmys shares after deciding that they were somewhat undervalued. They duly fell by another 25%. I'll probably buy some more early next year, although China going pop remains a worry.

Has anyone else dabbled in the world of industrial miners?

Kaz was on my potential buy list at the beginning of 2009 when it was 220. By the time I had the funds I needed it had gone up to the 600s before peaking in 2011 at £16. In some respects watching it rise and fall was a great lesson in itself.

I considered buying it when it was 250 recently, but that memory held me back. I may buy if it goes below 180.... Too much risk.

On the other hand I am underwater by 15% on FXPO (Iron Ore Ukraine), which shows that I still made the same mistake!

Too much risk.

Certainly plenty of that. Will the Chinese credit bubble go pop and their demand for commodities collapse? Will they respond by printing renminbi? What on earth would happen then?

I don't hold any miners directly, but I have exposure through a natural resources fund. Saves trying to learn about, or keep track of, a bunch of companies that are totally outside my knowledge and experience.

I don't hold any miners directly, but I have exposure through a natural resources fund. Saves trying to learn about, or keep track of, a bunch of companies that are totally outside my knowledge and experience.

Good plan, but I am thinking I will exit all commodity plays apart from oil majors completely soon.

Maybe a dabble with Kaz first.

Good plan, but I am thinking I will exit all commodity plays apart from oil majors completely soon.

Do you have any favorite oil majors or do you buy across the sector?

Do you have any favorite oil majors or do you buy across the sector?

'Never sell Shell' - looking cheap at the mo.

Also BP might be a good play on recovery after the court case in US.

Also oil play is

Lamprell - they make rigs in the ME.

'Never sell Shell' - looking cheap at the mo.

Also BP might be a good play on recovery after the court case in US.

Also oil play is

Lamprell - they make rigs in the ME.

Interesting, thanks.

KAZ spiked today on good year end results, but I think they've got lower to go if China goes pop. I'm out for now.

which online site would you recommend to use to buy shares from? ive checked some online brokers and the fee's per transaction is pretty hefty - you'd need to make some big gains in share price to make a profit after the approx £25 buy/sell transaction fee.

I use the Halifax.

which online site would you recommend to use to buy shares from? ive checked some online brokers and the fee's per transaction is pretty hefty - you'd need to make some big gains in share price to make a profit after the approx £25 buy/sell transaction fee.

Could be some bargains - or fortunes lost! depending on which way the russian/ukrainain spat goes...

I've sold a quarter of my WTI position today (375,000 shares) as I'm now making a small profit and moved that into SLP where I'm holding 1,000,000 shares exactly with today's rounding exercise. 

Both have the potential to do very well. 

I do wonder about buying some SLP.  Are they having problems with increasing industrial action at their mines?  I may be thinking of somewhere else in South Africa.

1 hour ago, Will! said:

I do wonder about buying some SLP.  Are they having problems with increasing industrial action at their mines?  I may be thinking of somewhere else in South Africa.

AFAIK Sylvania Platinum completed a 3 year wage negotiation a few years back which should take them into next year. The workers agreed to a NO STRIKE clause at the time, big penalties if they do. 

On 26/11/2016 at 1:01 PM, longtomsilver said:

I sold out of my ISA holding and only holding 665,000 shares across two SIPPs maybe I should coin a new term self-inflicted poor person :D

But think of the stories you'll be able to tell in your retirement!

Reviewing this thread it looks like I'm a bit obsessed with this but the Chinese moneyball rolls on:

Bloomberg:  China’s Ball of Money Is Rolling Back to Commodities

I like the sub headline:

Hot money has come full circle